Battle for the Airfield

If you are interested in seeing some of the Allied equipment in this game up close and pretending to shoot at people pretending to be Germans, there is an event in Massachusetts that you should check out:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_OpenHouseEvents11.htm

Some photographs from last year...

img_026.jpg

img_029.jpg

img_033.jpg

img_024.jpg

See more photographs here:

http://www.aero-pix.com/collings10/ppage.htm

img_024.jpg

I see that the reenactor in the foreground has valiantly bestowed upon himself to grow himself to the calibre of the Reichsmarschall himself, but after fulfilling this pursuit couldn't find enough white velvet for the uniform (there must have been an Elvis lookalike contest in the town at the same time), he chose to dress himself as a Neubaufahrzeug.

Maybe he should have gone to the Elvis contest, after all.

I see that the reenactor in the foreground has valiantly bestowed upon himself to grow himself to the calibre of the Reichsmarschall himself,...

Related story:

There is a well know American Civil War artist named Don Troiani (his work is excellent) who stated in an interview that he rarely uses re-enactors as models. Why? Too damned fat. It appears that middle class Americans of today are not at all representative of the men of that war who rarely had enough to eat and if they were well fed they would be quite fit due to all of that marching around.

It appears that middle class Americans of today are not at all representative of the men of that war who rarely had enough to eat and if they were well fed they would be quite fit due to all of that marching around.

Plus, I would hazard a guess that re-enactors are not very representative of middle class American males as a whole.

Michael

I see that the reenactor in the foreground has valiantly bestowed upon himself to grow himself to the calibre of the Reichsmarschall himself, but after fulfilling this pursuit couldn't find enough white velvet for the uniform (there must have been an Elvis lookalike contest in the town at the same time), he chose to dress himself as a Neubaufahrzeug.

Maybe he should have gone to the Elvis contest, after all.

Nice... Im not here to throw stones or anything, but at least he is keeping History alive. As a reenactor myself and one that has met Vetrans from the UK, Hungary, Germany and the US, I have been honored to take part in mock battles, as a reenactor.

Some groups may be more Farbie then others, but how can you say anthing negative to someone who enjoys what he or she does.

Just saying go a little easy.... some would say we are complete geeks for waiting and drooling over CM Normady.. but hey if it makes us happy then who cares.

I won't disagree with you on that, GhostRider. It's good for people to have interests. It's just a funny visual, like a re-enactment of 'Allo 'allo. It's only missing some barmaids, British pilots in drag, female resistance fighters and a Long Distance Duck.

LOL :) Yeah I hear you, Its funny some of our girlfriends are soo bored that they are willing to come out and reenact with us. I must say the Russian Female fighter is just as tenacious as the male... :)

Yeah... it can be at times humerous.

Peace!

Not sure of the origin of the faux Stug, but I don't think it was a M113.

All I know for sure is that it was used in the filming of "Band of Brothers". According to IMDb "The art department reconstructed four World War II-era tanks, using the frames of Soviet T-34 tanks from WW II and British Army Personnel Carriers as the foundations."

Not sure of the origin of the faux Stug, but I don't think it was a M113.

All I know for sure is that it was used in the filming of "Band of Brothers". According to IMDb "The art department reconstructed four World War II-era tanks, using the frames of Soviet T-34 tanks from WW II and British Army Personnel Carriers as the foundations."

Sounds like the waste of a perfectly good T34.

Is it really supposed to be a stug? Looks more like its leaning in the jagdpanther direction.

Related story:

There is a well know American Civil War artist named Don Troiani (his work is excellent) who stated in an interview that he rarely uses re-enactors as models. Why? Too damned fat. It appears that middle class Americans of today are not at all representative of the men of that war who rarely had enough to eat and if they were well fed they would be quite fit due to all of that marching around.

Hahaha, hardly surprising.

the StuG is built on a chassie of a FV432. And yes there is fat and ugly reenactors!

But there is some good ones to ;)

http://reenactor.se/FHF/bildgalleriet/2010_bk2_nordland/DSCN0834

http://reenactor.se/FHF/bildgalleriet/2008nordland/PICT1080.jpg

We got 2-3 overweight reenactors in our unit, but none is obese. normally its well hidden under the uniform for the most part.

http://www.reenactor.se/

I have just started up the British section so unfortunly I dont have any good pictures of me, but im 178cm and 80kg. Good enough? :P

IT's the "just this one axe murder" axe murderers that worry me the most.

You kinda have some warning with the serial type, usually.

The key factor though in regard to this series of posts is whether they enjoy their pastime. In the case of someone who does it repeatedly, it's a pretty safe bet they do. In the case of single offenders, the possibility exists that they found the whole thing so distasteful that they avoid repeating it.

Michael

If anyone is in the MN area around July a local hunting preserve puts on a military history day with reenactors from Civil war to Vietnam. Loads of amazing knowledge and pyros from holllywood special effects artists. They actually just filmed a movie there. Will post links if i can

Booked a hotel, so my family and I can go to both days of the Festival of History in the UK, it's a major re-enactors event with all morphologies and distributions of fatty substances on show. It's also fascinating to talk to such enthusiastic people and every time I've been I learn new things; like how bloody heavy a loaded Bren is in real life and what a pig the 98K's bolt is compared to the SMLE (BF if you don't give rifle armed UK troops a ROF advantage at close range t'will be a shame).

Related story:

I have no problem with the re-enactors as such, but I recall watching the film Gettysburg, which I was really enjoying, and then suddenly seeing a number of grossly overweight 'Confederate infantrymen' who had supposedly just marched barefoot all the way up from Virginia over dirt roads and mountain passes.

It totally put me off an otherwise excellent film! For some reason, the Union troops in the film had a lot less weight on... Maybe the person responsible for casting had a grudge?

I think people really rely alot on TV... Hollywood, which in my opinion is unrealistic. Sure most likely during the civil war or WWII 90% of combat personel were probably fit. But then when you realize that most people volunteered or what not it could be plausible to have had some overweight persons. Uncommon but plausible.

I have seen numerous WWII combat films showing a large man or two... again rare and uncommon but it did happen. It is ok to me to show some imperfections with film, not everyone can be a steller GQ 10. IMO