I want YOU for U.S. Army

BTW, I hope the BAR team (gunner and his mate) can be split off from the squad.

I love the announcer: "Nothing but the best for the Master Race!"

And unless the adjective "swell" is used in at least one of the US voice clips, this game is fundamentally flawed dammit!

EDIT: OK, I know the "

" sketch has been posted here about a jillion times, but there are definitely a few moments in this video that are nearly identical. I am waiting for "Mrs B Smegma of 13 The Crescent, Belmont"

U.S. Army? Fight for forces that call anyone above their own rank sir?

Hell, in the Canadian Army you get constantly reminded that anyone below the rank of Lieutenant actually works for their money. You don't "Sir!" a Master Corporal or Warrant Officer or lowly Corporal, you call them by their rank. That's what a real army does. (Besides correctly pronouncing the rank of "Lieutenant".) ;)

P.S. Awesome vid btw. The period music is, well, so defining.

Yeah, the current us armed forces only call officers sir. And even though the germans also have guns, our guts still did ok. ;) Why don't you guys post some more?

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to look into when that change took place ... must've been in the past 30 years I guess because when I was last on a US Army base (upper state NY) with my regiment in the 80s I think that everyone above you was referred to as sir. Hmm. I do recall being told to keep my beret on at all times to ID me as a Canuck.

Weird Google and Wiki still seem to be OK with addressing a US NCO as either his rank or "sir". Must delve deeper while I wait for the OSX pre-order.

Weird Google and Wiki still seem to be OK with addressing a US NCO as either his rank or "sir".

It's wrong then. In the US Army they are called either Sergeant, First Sergeant, or Sergeant Major. Calling one "Sir" is a great way to start doing push-ups. ;)

ETA: I can't speak for the Marines. I think they all just hug each other anyways.

I think the confusion comes from the two distinct phases one goes through in the US Military, boot camp and post boot camp. You are a nobody, low-life, scum-sucking newbie maggot until you graduate, therefore everyone you encounter other than your squadmates is addressed as Sir. :D

After you graduate and become a proper soldier or sailor, only Officers are addressed as Sir, others are called by their rank as was mentioned previously ("Gunny", "Chief", "Sergeant") or by last name.

It's wrong then. In the US Army they are called either Sergeant, First Sergeant, or Sergeant Major. Calling one "Sir" is a great way to start doing push-ups. ;)

I'll never forget the first day of boot camp, when one guy in my unit did the opposite and called a Major a Drill Sergeant. Yeah, that one didn't go over well. :D

To be technical, in the U.S. Army (and this is straight from official Army literature), sergeants up to the rank of Master Sergeant are addressed as either 'Sergeant' or the full title of their rank. First Sergeants are addressed as 'First Sergeant.' Sergeant Majors and Command Sergeant Majors may be addressed as either 'Sergeant Major' or the full title of their rank.

The only area that comes to mind immediately where the branches have opposing views on very basic stuff is salutes. If you are in the US Navy, you never saluted indoors under normal circumstances. Outdoors is a different matter. Hell, it's a wonder more guys in the Army don't have their arms in a sling with all the saluting they are required to do.

You could start a whole thread on the military lingo that is used in the various branches for things. To wit:

Snacks, goodies = Gedunk (Navy), Pogey Bait (Army/Marines)

Floor = Deck

Ceiling = Overhead

Toilet = Head

Wall = Bulkhead

Stairs = Ladderwells

Hamburger = Slider

Koolaid = Bug Juice

These are from my days in the Navy, some are cross-service terms.

If you are in the US Navy, you never saluted indoors under normal circumstances.

I thought the deal was that you never saluted without a hat, and you never wore a hat indoors. Which in the end amounts to pretty much the same thing, except in the case that one happened to be hatless outdoors.

Michael

I thought the deal was that you never saluted without a hat, and you never wore a hat indoors. Which in the end amounts to pretty much the same thing, except in the case that one happened to be hatless outdoors.

Michael

Technically you are correct, Sir! However, point two- being out-of-doors without your cover (so sorry, forgot that one!) would bring down upon you great shame and sweat. No one goes anywhere without their cover- at least not those who choose to stay out of the CO's office.

However, point two- being out-of-doors without your cover (so sorry, forgot that one!) would bring down upon you great shame and sweat.

I do not doubt that normally that is the case. But are there no exceptions? I'm thinking of someone in an especially grimy or difficult work party on one of the Navy's smaller vessels where uniform regs might be somewhat relaxed.

Michael

Sir yes Sir...sounds really US Army too me... ;)

In the german army you call all guys above your own "Dienstgradgruppe" (rank-group) with Herr (Sir).

For example if you are a Gefreiter you dont have to say "Herr Obergefreiter..." (there always can be some exceptions from that) but you have to say "Herr Feldwebel...".

About videos:

...looks a bit like they cant handle a german MG... :D

I think the confusion comes from the two distinct phases one goes through in the US Military, boot camp and post boot camp. You are a nobody, low-life, scum-sucking newbie maggot until you graduate, therefore everyone you encounter other than your squadmates is addressed as Sir. :D

After you graduate and become a proper soldier or sailor, only Officers are addressed as Sir, others are called by their rank as was mentioned previously ("Gunny", "Chief", "Sergeant") or by last name.

I think this is true in the USMC, at least that was how it was in the movie "Tribes" but when I did basic training in 1977 only officers were sirs and Drill Sgts were alway addressed as Drill Sergeant and woe unto you should you reverse the two. Besides always wearing a hat outside and never inside, one would never stick thier hands in their pockets unless retrieving something from the pocket and unbloused trowsers were a major sin.

p.s. it was also against regulations to use an umbrella while in uniform.

Off your asses and on your feeeeeet! Time for some pre-deployment training!

*gets his thumb clamped as M1's bolt snaps forward* Ow! Sonuva...!

----------------------------------------------

The MG-42 was inaccurate, burned through ammo like it was going out of style, ad nauseum, many say.

Blah blah blah, I say.

Facing the MG-42