Love for CMSF after CMBN?

I just pre-ordered CMBN, and I can't wait to play it.

It's a little sad, though, to think that CMBN may mark the death of CMSF. I know there won't be any new features and such, but will bug fixes (and maybe a few improvement tweaks ported from CMBN) keep coming for CMSF after CMBN's release?

I expect I'll play BN almost exclusively for a month or two but I won't be leaving SF. The simple fact is there is nothing else on the market that gives me modern combat like this. I love Arma2, especially with the Takistan add on, but it's not really the same sort of thing.

I'm actually thinking of making a couple of SF scenarios based on arma2's Takistan maps, just for fun, and I'm waiting for the next patch before I get properly stuck into the NATO campaigns. Lots of play left in SF.

Definitely will be playing both as I haven't even started (well started but stopped after the 1.31 patch and the loss of panzerfausts) NATO and want to finish that at some point.

As said above, I'm sure CMBN will rule my life for a few months but I will always play CMSF and even CMA after the fact. I love the modern era now just as much as WWII. I'm extremely happy to be able to jump back and forth between the two at will!

I would say that after a point it will even out and they will both get equal time. IMO I'll probably be playing CMBN almost exclusively PBEM with a buddy of mine and will most likely be playing CMSF or CMA single player in the interim. WWII is just so much better head to head than CMSF, at least in my experience, and CMBN will finally, for me, bring back that old BO, BB, AK competitiveness.

With the next patch (1.33) CMSF development will probably stop. 1.33 will only address some bugs; no features from CMBN are going to be back-ported to CMSF unfortunately. There may be the possibility of one patch after 1.33 IF any significant bugs are found, but 1.33 will most likely be the last patch for CMSF.

I hope this doesnt mean CMSF 2 is going to come out in a few weeks now! :D Although I think that would be cool and all, I just bought CMSF + all 3 modules about a week ago.

I will continue to play CMSF as I love modern combat and it will keep me engage until CMSF 2 comes out.

I have ordered CM:BN, even though I am not a fan of WW2 combat. I want to see how the new spawn of the CMx2 family plays out, even though I am not a fan of the subject matter, I am a fan of the game system. Who knows, I may even enjoy it as much as CMSF.

But CMSF remains my first, best love. At least until CMSF 2 comes out...

It would be nice to get access to just a few of the CMA features though, like tanks knocking over walls. And perhaps a few of the muj and ANA weapons sets and textures so we can do non-Syria arid or high mountain type settings and forces to spice things up and extend the life of the game (A'stan, Pakistan, Iraq, Africa, Chechnya, etc.). The Islamic world is going to be a flashpoint for years to come. I would be happy to pay $20 for a download-only feature pack that included these things. No scenarios needed -- we'll take care of that.

There is no cannibalization risk, as I just don't see CMSF2 being out until at least 2014 at which point BFC's state of the art in game design will have jumped again. And there is virtually no likelihood of any other gamemaker entering the high fidelity company level wargames segment in the meantime.

There is SO much programming talent in East Europe and Russia. You guys are astounding.

Have you fellows ever thought about reviving the Combat Missions project that would revive the CM1 series?

All we've ever wanted was a system to create an operational/strategic "shell" for the tactical CM1 games that would act as a scenario generator.

Sadly, the original developers got waaaay over their heads in attempting to produce a standalone operational game with its own AI etc - it was a much too ambitious effort and collapsed under its own weight.gfytu

The East Front series comes before the next modern aswell...

From what Steve has expressed in public, I don't think this is (necessarily) the case. But it's really too early to talk about - I doubt that BFC is interested in detailing their future plans for as long as they haven't released their flagship WW2 game first.

I thought I read somewhere the plan is to have a Russian developer (Snowball) take on the Eastfront but I can find the post. Does anyone else recall this? It would make it possible to get all these games done before the end of the world unless of course that is happening in 2012 and it's already too late.

Ps Nevermind I found it!

I am not sure either but if the poster thinks that we're not going to do Eastern Front anymore then he's VERY wrong. In fact, we plan to have a Russian-native team do most of the modules for that family of titles.

As someone who is more interested in modern warfare than WWII, I'm probably in the minority on this among modern warfare buffs but I'm perfectly OK with WWII taking plenty of development time before CMSF2. The CMx2 engine will improve significantly during this time which translates advantages to CMSF2, BFC will retain the interest of WWII fans which maximizes their customer base inside the relatively small wargaming niche, and I also like WWII even though I prefer modern and plan on playing the WWII games.

I pretty much ignored CMSF until someone mentioned that to get used to the CMBN interface play the CMSF demo.

So i did and loved it. Didn't think I would. So I will be coming back to the game quite often even though my main focus will be on CMBN.

Also the WW2 loving community including me waited a loooooooooooong time for CMBN to come out. So i hope the CMBN sideshow lasts a looooooooong time as well with a revisit to the Russian Front.

Then after all that... then maybe.. CMSF2.... Woohoo.. life is good.