US Rangers not in TOE?

I did a quick Google search of the history of the Rangers in Normandy. It seemed like mostly a 1 day affair where most of 'em died. (rather like airborne winkling out for awhile after Carentan) I know nothing about Army Ranger TO&E. It may be likely you can just take any infantry unit and rename them - That suggestion's based on no actual knowledge on the subject. :)

I did a quick Google search of the history of the Rangers in Normandy. It seemed like mostly a 1 day affair where most of 'em died. (rather like airborne winkling out for awhile after Carentan) I know nothing about Army Ranger TO&E. It may be likely you can just take any infantry unit and rename them - That suggestion's based on no actual knowledge on the subject. :)

The 2nd and 5th Ranger battalions were in action off and on in Normandy up to the assault on Brest, in which both participated playing a very important role.

TO&E was significantly different even at squad level, but we should have all the needed equipment.

The Ranger Battalion, circa 1944

Headquarters Company (8 Officers, 88 men)

Battalion Headquarters (7 Officers)

Staff Platoon (1 Officer, 28 men)

Intelligence Section (7 men)

Supply & Transport Platoon (31 men)

Communications Platoon (22 men)

Six Rifle Companies (3 Officers, 65 men), each comprised of;

Company HQ (1 Officer, 3 men)

Two Rifle Platoons, each comprised of;

Platoon HQ (1 Officer, 3 men)

Two Assault Sections, each comprised of 11 men

Weapons Section comprised of 6 men

Total Strength of 504 all ranks (26 Officers and 478 men)

Points of note

The Ranger Company is probably the smallest and leanest company deployed by the United States during the war. Like the British Commando Troop, it boiled a normal Rifle Company down to its bare minimum; two platoons of two squads, each with a small weapons element and the barest command functions. The obvious omission is heavy weapons. HQ Company maintained six 81-mm mortars which one of the Rifle Companies could operate as and when required, but there were no heavy machine guns.

The elements of the Battalion

Headquarters Company - provided the necessary admin and motor pool for the Battalion, plus its command staff and signals.

It also maintained an impressive weapons pool for issue as required. Along with the six 81 mm mortars there were six 60 mm weapons, twenty submachine guns and by mid 1944 ten Bazookas.

The Ranger Company - the Ranger Rifle Company packed considerable punch for its size. Company HQ was no more than an Officer, Sergeant, and runners. Platoon HQ had the same format, but introduced a sniper rifle, the M1903A4, as well. The Assault Section seems to have begun as a normal 12 man squad. In the above formation though, it had split into a five man assault element, a five man machine gun element and a Section leader. The machine gun was the M1919 Browning light machine gun, with NCO, gunner, loader and ammunition bearers. The Weapons Section served a single 60-mm mortar, and there was also a Bazooka available for each Platoon. Only the Officer and Sergeants at the HQ levels carried submachine guns in theory at least, while gunners and loaders had .45-cal pistols, the remainder M1 Rifles.

Summary

The Ranger Battalions provided the US Army with an elite formation which it could entrust with the capture of vital objectives during the many amphibious landings they undertook. The Rangers never got to raid Fortress Europe in the same way as their British counterparts, but they introduced the US to the notion of irregular, special forces, an idea they have today practically patented.

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/UnitedStates/united_states_army_ranger_battal.htm

...(rather like airborne winkling out for awhile after Carentan)...

That might have been the 101st. I don't actually know when they were pulled out of combat. But Wiki says this about the 82nd.:

By the time the All-American Division was pulled back to England, it had seen 33 days of bloody combat and suffered 5,245 troopers killed, wounded, or missing. Ridgway's post-battle report stated in part, "...33 days of action without relief, without replacements. Every mission accomplished. No ground gained was ever relinquished."

Michael

But Wiki says this about the 82nd.:

Michael

Wiki also says you look smokin' in hot pants...can we REEEEALLY trust them?

Mord.

P.S. If they get fire in the game...I will catch you old man. Those pants are gonna impede your circulation and hence...your stride.

Didn't Tom Hanks lead a Squad of Rangers during the Normandy Operation.Is Tom Hanks going to be in the game?

He was last sighted (or heard, rather) commanding a Canadian infantry platoon in Afghanistan a few years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eD_Lo61rAw.

By now, though, his roto is no doubt over, so he could perhaps be persuaded to furnish some voice acting for CMBN.

Ah! Proves my earlier point. Hanks and Co all got themselves all killed off inside the first couple days, didn't they? So Tom Hanks wouldn't show up in the TO&E much past June 8 or so. :)
Cpl Upham and Private Ryan survived.Of course you are technically correct,all the Rangers died.Upham pissed me off.:mad:

Was he in LOST? I stopped watching once it was obvious that the writers did not have a clear direction and were just throwing random stuff in until they could come up with an ending.

I was really pissed when I first watched SPR that Upham didn't die... when he could have easily saved the Jewish guy. Shoulda been shot for cowardice, lil bastard.

Also that A-10 vid... seen it before but it really is uncanny how much it sounds EXACTLY like Tom Hanks.

Yes... and he deserved to. My favorite character probably. Badass NYC mofo running around with his BAR hipshooting krauts. Great stuff :). Not to mention flanking that 20mm and killing its crew! If we can rename units in BfN I'm renaming a unit in his honor ;). I might rename a unit for suicide missions/distraction attacks Upham too... or maybe I'll wait till the Ostfront game where maybe we'll get penal units :D.