So CM:N is an new game then ? not a module ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MikeyD and Battlefront....I understand the reasons why and the future of the CM series...I'm talking about people new to the series and reviewers....THIS is the area of CM Normandy that I feel will have a few of people moaning....NOT ME THOUGH....I know whats coming and though I'd like to have seen the German Paratroopers (this I feel will be one of the main moans as they had some famous battles with the US airborne and one in particular which is famous because of Band of Brothers which some people will think they can recreate) I know the game will still be worth it.

I don't need convincing...I can foresee a moan here and there though....also as the game will attract alot of new BF customers and new members to the forum I hope that the past criticism's of CMSF (which have made some members of the community a little over sensitive to any observations about what could be improved or is lacking) will not come to the fore as new members may feel that they are jumped on for offering up their opinion...

If you doesn't model beach landings in some way... expect the name of Normandy to be a bit disapointing for a lot of teenagers.

CM: West Front 1944 or CM: European West Front 1944, are better names if you consider including several modules... Operation Cobra, Market Garden, The Bulge, etc...

If you doesn't model beach landings in some way... expect the name of Normandy to be a bit disapointing for a lot of teenagers.

CM: West Front 1944 or CM: European West Front 1944, are better names if you consider including several modules... Operation Cobra, Market Garden, The Bulge, etc...

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty certain BFC have no real interest in the beach landings themselves. They've said many times before, even if I recall when they released CMBO way back, same argument then really. It would be pretty difficult to portray accurately using a 'land' simulator which sounds about right if you think about it. Far too much investment in all manner of units which would be used just a few times in certain missions. Besides, given the potential flexibility of the scenario editor maybe it will be possible to recreate some of these beach landings ourselves. I do remember playing one such mission in CMBO and it was a laugh although it was short-lived due to its very nature.

Y'know, even if the game lacks beach landing 'bells & whistles' it'll still have water, sand, walls, cliffs, bunkers, infantry, artillery, mortars, smoke, barbed wire, tank obstacles, mines, offshore bombardment, etc etc. It seems "Can't do beach landings" really means "Can 85%+ do beach landings, though not strictly optimized for the task".

So create a beach map and simply say in the orders text your bullet-riddled LCMs are beached just off-map and your men are at the sea wall, or coming on in waves as 'reinforcements.

"CMx2: Normandy (whatever)" + modules will only cover the Summer of Westfront 1944 up to Marget Garden in September.

The second CMx2 WW2 Westfront family called for now "CMx2: Bulge (whatever)" will cover the time from start of Battle of Hürtgen Forest in autumn and the Ardennes Offensive (Bulge) in Winter till the end of war in May 1945.

Reason is the needed implementation of autumn and winder graphics + weather effects and new unit types + organizations (Volksgrenadier, Volkssturm etc.) in the game engine.