New screenshots of German forces in NATO

Thomm

The first two of the new screenshots may show more than one Gruppe's worth of men -- apparently a Panzergrenadier squad is 6 men, so maybe the soldiers pictured here are of some sort of light infantry unit -- but you can see that one Pixelsoldat is carrying an MG4, whereas another is carrying an MG3.

cm%20shock%20force%202010-10-02.jpg

In any case, they look to be a pretty well-armed bunch o' Pixelsoldaten. :D

Those might be Fallschirmjaegers in the screenshot. Visually they wouldn't look to different. I have no idea what the squadsizes are for each unit, but you can only fit 6 in a Marder.

They do look a lot better though, especially the coloring of the camo. That MG3 at the squad level will be awesome, especially when you have an vehicle full of extra ammo (if the AI actually puts down a few more rounds per burst with it).

On an unrelated note:

Direct descendant of Merrill's Marauder Pvt. Charles Joyce' date=' B.A.R. Gunner, 3rd Battalion, I Company, Orange Combat Team[/quote']

My grandfather was one of Merill's Marauder's, small world.

I think that mountain troops - Gebirsjäger (don't ask me to pronouce it) are eight men per squad... or section... or zug. Jeez, modern German TO&E is something of a black art. The Bundeswehr doesn't exactly provide nice crisp chain-of-command trees to follow on their official website. :)

I think that mountain troops - Gebirsjäger (don't ask me to pronouce it) are eight men per squad... or section... or zug. Jeez, modern German TO&E is something of a black art. The Bundeswehr doesn't exactly provide nice crisp chain-of-command trees to follow on their official website. :)

A Zug is a platoon.

I don't think it's even hard to pronounce myself. Somehow everyone is able to pronounce Jaegermeister correctly. Mike maybe you can make a mod where the Gebirgsjaeger vehicles are carrying a case of Jaegermeister like you did for the British with a case of beer. -just kidding.

The first two of the new screenshots may show more than one Gruppe's worth of men -- apparently a Panzergrenadier squad is 6 men, so maybe the soldiers pictured here are of some sort of light infantry unit -- but you can see that one Pixelsoldat is carrying an MG4, whereas another is carrying an MG3.

cm%20shock%20force%202010-10-02.jpg

In any case, they look to be a pretty well-armed bunch o' Pixelsoldaten. :D

Here is a similar picture from real life:

2008-05-21-xxl--20080521112201_DEU_Afghanistan_Bundeswehr_Anschlag_FRA120.jpg

Normal Dude pointed out:

A Zug is a platoon.

According to legendary American satirist Mark Twain, Zug is everything else too. From his essay The Awful German Language:

Just the same with Zug. Strictly speaking, Zug means Pull, Tug, Draught, Procession, March, Progress, Flight, Direction, Expedition, Train, Caravan, Passage, Stroke, Touch, Line, Flourish, Trait of Character, Feature, Lineament, Chess-move, Organ-stop, Team, Whiff, Bias, Drawer, Propensity, Inhalation, Disposition: but that thing which it does not mean -- when all its legitimate pennants have been hung on, has not been discovered yet.

The full text is quite as funny --> http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/awfgrmlg.html

Question about CMSF/Nato - It a full game "patch" coming out with NATO as well? That upgrades CMSF/Marines/UK.....even if NATO isn't purchased?

Yes - I've read a post where Moon or Steve have said a patch for 'vanilla' CMSF will be released to coincide with the NATO release. Not sure of the timescales involved though.

Do my eyes deceive me, or are those transparent magazines modeled in the screenshots? Wouldn't it be cool if they ammo level in each magazine visually changed as the weapon was fired? Just sayin'... ;)

It's looking great. Thanks for the update.

Ken

The german infantry uniforms in game have these strange life-preserver type collar thingy's on under their chins. They appear to be normal collars in the real-life pic above, but our of scale on the game models. Can those be tweaked in game through mods?

Cheers

Gpig

The german infantry uniforms in game have these strange life-preserver type collar thingy's on under their chins. They appear to be normal collars in the real-life pic above, but our of scale on the game models. Can those be tweaked in game through mods?

Cheers

Gpig

Yeah, those collar-thingies could have been lowered a bit more on the game's pixeltruppen.

Unfortunately no, I don't know too much about his service (he passed away some time ago). I just remember seeing the shoulder patch (which says Merrill's Marauders) and a bronze star among his medals. Otherwise all I know is he was a sergeant, had something to do with cavalry, and ended up with mules.

So I did some quick looking/asking around, I think he may actually have been 124th Cav with the Mars task force, but he does have the aforementioned patch, bronze star, and a citation, which makes it a bit confusing.

Dont downplay the importance of the mule skinners in those hills. Until Col Pick and his boys pushed through the Ledo road, the GIs either carried their own gear, had it airdropped or had someone else -- mule or coolie -- carry it. That includes the extremely useful 75mm pack howitzer.

I bet the Afghanistan US Army is regretting they let the mule skinners and all that knowhow go. The local packhorses and wranglers are good but Army mules were bigger and stronger . Plus there's no risk they're doubling for the Taliban.