Syrian Toys!

Hey!

Glad to see the new Syrian stuff too! Zil and Shilka are both good additions. Especially the Shilka can be devastating in ground fire support role against soft targets, no doubt about that. Hopefully we'll encounter those in the new campaigns! Syrian air support is not bad either, especially for 3rd party scenarios (they do not fit in the main campaign as the Syrian AF was destroyed already when the attack begun?).

Anyways, hoping to see the NATO module soon (even if it doesn't have France in it as it says in the info about Syrian equipment ;))!

Having read the list of Syrian air support in more detail I am even more excited but I am surprised at the lack of armed MI-8/MI-13 Helicopters, also the Syrian Gazelles which caused the Israelis such a headache back in 1982.

Are they deliberate omissions?

A Shilka is vulnerable to said laser guided whoop ass, especially ones that home in on radar sources. However, if they are used right, they can be a nasty surprise for anything that gets close and low enough. An A-10s cockpit is armoured against 23mm fire but the rest of the plane isn't and those 4 cannons shoot out a frightening amount of lead!

Communication is of course key for the for the Syrians, the Shilkas have to know when and where the aircraft are coming from so they can switch on their radars at just the right moment, lock on and fire before immediately going dark again and moving to avoid the inevitable counterattack.

This is assuming of course that they are well enough hidden not to be spotted in the first place! Without a layered air defence they are very vulnerable to planes operating out of their range.

But yeah, as AkumaSD says, I'm pretty sure they will be ground attack only in CMSF.

Sure. Scenarios designers can include Shilkas in a scenario and exclude blue helicopters. We already have many red assets that would be perfectly capable of engaging a helipcopter. Hopefully people will maintain a bit of perspective and not flip out because of the AAA label.

Now for a bit of shameless, ungrateful begging. If, if, if any additional content is considered post NATO module, it would be really nice to see:

Dismounted ZU-23 for regular forces.

Mounted/dismounted ZPU-1 for irregular and regular forces.

Dismounted DShK for irregular forces.

Irregular force rocket/mortar support options.

Regarding ZPU-1, here is a very interesting video:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid62612474001?bctid=407524038001

Very bad, that Syrian unconventional forces will have only new ZU-23-2, I think most needed for them its' DsHK, AGS, SPG-9 crews on foot!

P.S. Syrian ZiL driver have tank helmet.

I agree. And i'd like to add weapon caches (or ammo resupply post, what ever) for militias and reservist Syrian infantry.

Shilka is just one more addition to vast amount of firepower packing vehicles in Syrian inventory. Sure it has four barrels, but still it has same weaknesses as all Syrian IFVs.

Nice surprise...I had a feeling you guys would add some Syrian stuff, but I was expecting the unconventional force mixes that you hinted at somewhere, a while back. In my heart of hearts I was hoping you'd add some new vehicles and here we are, with some new vehicles, trucks being an important addition. I never for the life of me expected air support!

Anyway...very cool. Nice to have a bone of some sort, for one of the titles. I am getting re-excited about NATO.

Mord.

Ah, reading between the lines or literally, one could also take heart with this little tidbit...

"...but due to popular demand we've thrown in a bunch of new Syrian toys as well, both on and off the ground! Here is a short list:"

Seems we may be in for more Syrian surprises.

Mord.

Wow, Syrian air support is a pleasant surprise!

As for ZSU-23s attacking aircraft, I don't think they will but the scenario designers can remove air support on the opposing side as appropriate, like akd said. For example, fixed wing may still provide support but there are no helos if ZSU-23 are around.

Syrian air support wouldn't make much sense in most scenarios against the U.S., as they would be destroyed ahead of time, but having the option to make some fun (and more balanced) scenarios is certainly welcome. It will definitely be very useful for RED vs. RED scenarios and campaigns.

Thank God this has finally been announced. It's been getting more and more frustrating posting out here and having to be mindful that you don't let this slip accidentally.

You won't encounter the Shilka very often in the NATO campaigns as it is a very high level asset and to have it appear regularly would be unrealistic, and a bit lame too. However, I expect that you'll see it frequently appear in the stand-alones where the above argument doesn't apply.

There will NOT be any Syrian air support for the RED side in the NATO campaigns either as that would require an astonishing suspension of disbelief on the part of the player. However, I plan to redo 'Hasrabit' and 'Dinas' shortly after the module is released so that RED has real air support and not the hack I had to use before. And I expect the Republican Guards in Hasrabit will get a Shilka or two to play around with too.

I think a very important question now that we have dumb bomb/rocket equipped air support in the game is whether or not we will be able to specify a "run in" direction for air strikes? Dumb bombs on fast jets + current CMSF random attack direction would seem a recipe for disaster.