List of Tanks the US faced in Normandy

[snip]....

I'd really like to see more weight given to the less sexy items on that list seeing as how they would be more relevant to the fighting in the earlier stages of the campaign. The first few days after the landings are the ones I'd like to concentrate on. Oh, and save the SS for the Commonwealth module... (runs for cover)

My thoughts exactly. This ain't Saving Private Ryan. It would make the commonwealth module sell like hotcakes as well. BTW it's great to see some WWII grogness back on the main boards, it's been too long. lol

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[A-Tk weapons] I'm guessing the Pak 40 and the 6 pounder but I'm probably wrong.

7.5cm, 5cm, and even 3.7 cm for the Germans (and French 7.5cms and misc other captured kit as necessary).

For CM:N I'd expect to see 7.5cm Pak 40s, and 5cm PaK 38s.

For the US it's 57mm and 3-in towed, the 3-in M-10 SP and towards the very end in Normandy the 76mm M-18 SP.

For CM:N I'd expect to see 57mm and 3-in towed, and M-10 and M-18 SP,and possibly also 90mm M-36 SP depending on how late into 1944 they push the module.

Surely this need to be turned around the other way as well?

I have no resource at my fingertips but I expect the US had a fairly small number of tanks (types not actual units) in Normandy during the period proposed? When did the better tank hunters and killers start use in the Normandy area? etc.

7.5cm, 5cm, and even 3.7 cm for the Germans (and French 7.5cms and misc other captured kit as necessary).

For CM:N I'd expect to see 7.5cm Pak 40s, and 5cm PaK 38s.

For the US it's 57mm and 3-in towed, the 3-in M-10 SP and towards the very end in Normandy the 76mm M-18 SP.

For CM:N I'd expect to see 57mm and 3-in towed, and M-10 and M-18 SP,and possibly also 90mm M-36 SP depending on how late into 1944 they push the module.

The 3,7cm PaK? Must have been in conjunction with the Stielgranate 41 then? Otherwise I don't see what they would hope to achieve except for a light AV kill :P Thanks for the info anyway :) The 57 and 76mm AT guns will be quite the opposition for most vehicles bar the Panther.

You have any idea in what role they would employed for both Germans and US in Normandy? I would guess defence of small strongpoints mostly instead of the elaborate PaK defences seen in the Eastern theatre?

There is no question that King Tigers saw action in Normandy. I believe some from Schwere Panzerabteilung 503? But it would seem that they were opposite the British sector until the collapse of the Germans in Normandy.

Well, that's one way to guarantee a commonwealth module sells well: Including the KT with it!

Hate to be nitpicking, but US forces also saw King Tigers in their ToO. More specifically in the city of Mons, Belgium. There is a picture circulating on the internet of a knocked out King Tiger in the streets of Jemappes. IIRC, It was destroyed by US Air Force attacks and Sherman fire on Sep 3, 1944.

Don't understand quite well, why Battlefront proposes a segregation of allied forces for their opening module, that - if I am not mistaken -spans the period from D-Day until Arnhem,

A so called "Commonwealth module" would also do injustice to French, Polish and other troops, that made their contribution.

If they really would like to milk this cow, I would rather prefer seasonal and regional sequences,like summer in France, fall in Holland, Huertgenforest and Lorraine, winter in the Ardennes, Rhine-river campaign. All of these episodes would have enough new goodies to make them sell and would allow to include specific vegetation or building characteristics for each region.

Hate to be nitpicking, but US forces also saw King Tigers in their ToO. More specifically in the city of Mons, Belgium. There is a picture circulating on the internet of a knocked out King Tiger in the streets of Jemappes. IIRC, It was destroyed by US Air Force attacks and Sherman fire on Sep 3, 1944.

Don't understand quite well, why Battlefront proposes a segregation of allied forces for their opening module, that - if I am not mistaken -spans the period from D-Day until Arnhem,

This seems to be the misunderstanding here: The base game only covers US forces in Normandy (and the Germans that opposed them in Normandy). It does not go to Arnhem. It does not even cover the rest of the French campaign AFAIK.

A so called "Commonwealth module" would also do injustice to French, Polish and other troops, that made their contribution.

Why would this do injustice to them? They aren't part of the commonwealth . . . or are you saying that they merit a module of their own? :confused:

If they really would like to milk this cow, I would rather prefer seasonal and regional sequences,like summer in France, fall in Holland, Huertgenforest and Lorraine, winter in the Ardennes, Rhine-river campaign. All of these episodes would have enough new goodies to make them sell and would allow to include specific vegetation or building characteristics for each region.

AFAIK it is something similar to this that is planned. :)

And what was the most predominant US and German AT gun both sides faced?

For the US, the 57 mm and for the Germans the 50 mm. They were numerically the most common types. But see also JonS' post.

And don't forget the handheld AT weapons: the Bazooka for the US and the Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck for the Germans.

Michael

Originally Posted by Paper Tiger viewpost.gif

[snip]....

I'd really like to see more weight given to the less sexy items on that list seeing as how they would be more relevant to the fighting in the earlier stages of the campaign. The first few days after the landings are the ones I'd like to concentrate on. Oh, and save the SS for the Commonwealth module... (runs for cover)

My thoughts exactly. This ain't Saving Private Ryan. It would make the commonwealth module sell like hotcakes as well. BTW it's great to see some WWII grogness back on the main boards, it's been too long. lol

yes, in the canadian sector alone, the Can. 3 Inf. Div. fought elements of 1st SS, 2nd SS, 9th SS, 10th SS, Panzer Lehr and of course had its own private war with the 12th SS "HitlerJugend" division. That does not leave much for the yanks....;)

I thought it was already decided that Tigers would make it into the NORMANDY title. Therefore I expect to see wodges of user made scenarios appearing shortly after the title is released featuring Tigers and SS troops fighting US troops amongst the bocage in Normandy. Reality be damned. This is what they want!

The very word "bocage" nearly sends me to sleep. :D

Flakpanzer 38t - 12

Dan

I don't know why, but I just like the look of this vehicle even though it was a marginal AFV. I really hope it is included. It wasn't in any CMX 1 games. The Germans will need something to shoot at all those Thunderbolts with that's mobile. :)

I have my doubts about this - specifically with regard to what is meant by 'in Normandy'. For example, AIUI, the Tigers were all well to the east of the Seine. For example, 503 was in Germany, SS101 was at Beuvais, SS102 was in Holland, and Lehr was at Alencon.

Jon good point, the list from the 1st June list is probably better described as vehicles available/destined for the invasion front.

Dan