Version 1.11 information

Time for a pre v1.11 bone or two!

The good news is that we love to implement user suggestions and fix things that need fixing. The latest patch has something like 150 items to chew on. The bad news is that generally means patches come out much later than we originally planned. As frustrating as that is for all of us, it's better than the other way around IMHO ;)

So what sorts of stuff does v1.11 have in it? Besides fixes to some pathing issues that v1.10 didn't handle so well, here's a quick list of the other major things:

Infantry Behavior

Infantry has a few new behaviors, the most important of which is the ability to "bugger off" when relocating offers significantly better survival possibilities vs. staying put. Conditions will cause a unit to be more/less prone to bugger off, such as Experience, Morale, Leadership, current cover, nearby cover, and of course how much punishment the unit is taking.

When enemy infantry targets duck out of sight, like down from windows or in a trench, your Target orders are not immediately canceled. Instead, they switch into a lower volume "area fire" type mode. If the enemy unit pops back up within a short period of time (roughly 45 seconds) the firing unit/s switch back to direct Target fire. This means it's easier to keep enemy infantry pinned without having to choose between Target and Area Fire Commands from the start. There's more to it than this, but this is good enough for this bone ;)

Soldiers are "smarter" about which stance they use depending on the Command and the covering terrain around them. For example, a unit using Slow behind a wall will crawl. When an individual soldier gets to his final position he won't go to kneeling until the rest of his Team has arrived. This corrects behavior that sometimes had individuals popping up without support from their Team members. Also, soldiers on a crest of a hill are more likely to kneel instead of laying prone so they can potentially see over the top of the hill instead of being stuck behind it.

Vehicle Behavior

When appropriate, vehicles will attempt to "shoot and scoot". A good example of this is a BMP-2 that is engaging an Abrams with an ATGM. Since the cannon won't do much to the Abrams, but the Abrams is likely to kill it within a few seconds, after it's fired and guided the missile to target, the BMP-2 will likely try to move out of LOS/LOF of the Abrams so it can reload or continue evasive maneuvering.

WeGo Behavior

Fast-forward and Rewind buttons by default skip by 5 seconds, 10 seconds with Control held down, 20 seconds if Shift key is held down.

Craters, vehicle bog status, damaged buildings, damaged walls, and damaged trees are now correctly reset when replaying a turn's movie.

Movement animations smoothed out during replay.

Quick Battle Improvements

Syrians will always get at least one Forward Observer when they get artillery.

A slew of new, and updated, Quick Battle Maps have been made available by the powerhouse known as Mark Ezra :)

Performance Improvements

The "Slideshow Problem", where gameplay creeks along at a fraction of frame per second, has been fixed. The problem was most noticeable on slower systems playing larger battles in WeGo mode. The problem is that WeGoers tend to issue a TON of Commands and the system has to try and carry them all out at once, unlike in RealTime when things are naturally staggered during normal gameplay. More on this sometime this weekend.

Various things were done to make larger maps have better framerates. This was done, primarily, by implementing some "tricks" and rewriting some routines.

Scenarios saved under the v1.11 format will load faster (from the start or from saves) for scenarios with a lot of locked elevation points (the black ones with white elevation numbers). Slower computers will see the most benefit from this since it has to do with number crunching.

Game End Behavior

Surrender does not necessarily lead to total defeat because the scores for Terrain Touch, Terrain Destroy, and all Unit objectives are preserved. This means that if you managed to satisfy these particular Objectives you retain the points for them even if you got wiped out in all other respects.

There is obviously a lot more, as you will soon see. How soon? We plan on going Gold this Sunday (3 days from when I write this). If all goes smoothly the installers will be uploaded for you guys a few days after. We're hopeful Paradox will be able to do a quick turn around on their end so everybody can have these before Christmas.

Steve

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game got 'easier' with 1.10 because behaviors made more sense. Hopefully it'll be 'easier' with 1.11 for the same reason. Not losing an infantry target because they duck their head down will be nice.

I'm glad the Marine campaign will be revised, but better infantry behavior won't help make it easy enough, we need some replacements!

It is BF patch for Marines owners.

I wonder if there is improved target acquisition time in case the target ducks and then tries to shoot again. Just a feeling that this has been a bit wrong in past. The time to spot, aim and shoot at the reappeared target seemed a bit too long. I assume a sane soldier would keep his weapon and eyes pointed at the last known position of the enemy if nothing else was going on.

Woo hoo! This all sounds great, especially the reduced map load times for v1.11 formatted scenarios. I had no idea that those fixed elevation points were responsible for longer load times. Just in time for my campaign too! When you say 'saved in v1.11 format', you mean 'Install the new patch, open the secnario up in the editor and then save it again'... voila, v1.11 formatted, right? I had a feeling that the new Marines campaign hadn't been released yet was because we'd need v1.11 to play it.

I'm REALLY surprised that nobody's mentioned the terrain resetting when viewing WeGo replays. People have been compaining and complaining about that since...

I'd like a clarification about which version of the patch I'll be using as well. I originally bought CMSF from Gamersgate but I bought the 'Maraines' module drectly from BFC (where else?:)) so does that mean I can install the BFC version or must I wait for Gamersgate?

I'm looking forward to hearing more about these changes later this weekend. Good luck guys.

To clarify... the patch will be released for CM:SF owners as well as Marines owners. Obviously the Marine specific fixes (like LAV armor ratings) don't apply to everybody.

I'm actually a little fuzzy on the details of Paradox/Gamers Gate guys. My memory is telling me that you guys with Marines Modules get to use Battlefront patches from now. But it's Friday, I've had a couple of beers, and I'm sleepy... so who knows if that's right or not :D

Steve