a module french army ?

RommL

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I'm afraid history may not be on our side for the French module. BFC's been hinting about a fat NATO module, and DeGaulle made a point of keeping France out of NATO :rolleyes:

France has nether entirely left NATO (De Gaule only withdrew from NATO's integrated command, not from the NATO alliance) and resumed full membership since then (in 1995 according to wikipedia).

Originally posted by thelmia:

Hell, throw em in with no justification. I'll just settle for AMX-13s smile.gif

I know that the French army has some pretty outdated equipments, but not that outdated ! :D (The AMX-13s were phased out of service in the 70's or maybe the early 80's.)

Why not - its all hypothetical future war anyway and really just an excuse for us wargamers to play with some accurately modeled and researched modern warfare toys. Plus, France has troops involved in some trouble spots around the world such as Africa so it would increase the scope for user-created scenarios.

As a matter of interest, France deployed over 14,000 troops in Gulf War I. If Paris had a dirty bomb set off in it I'm sure they would deploy again.

Norman Schwarzkopf said that the Foreign Legion was among the best soldiers he ever saw. Schwarzkopf was bestowed an honorary corporal in the French Foreign Legion, the first and only American to be so honored.

And for those who wonder what will happen if a dirty bomb explode in Paris, Nicolas Sarkozy was very clear: nuclear retaliation. I think that the exact quote was: "unleash nuclear fire against the perpetrator". Quite different from Obama reaction...

Originally posted by Vikkelä:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Truppenfuhrung:

Norman Schwarzkopf said that the Foreign Legion was among the best soldiers he ever saw.

Er.. they aren't Frenchmen. A lot are actually Brits. </font>

The Légion Étrangère was originally setup to patrol and pacify France's empire, principally North Africa. In fact, the main base used to be in Algeria. Since 1962, they are based in France and are still used by French government as elite troops to intervene overseas, often in African countries were France maintains a sphere of interest.

The Légion has always been mostly made up of foreigners, even now based on chart I saw recently, germans make up the largest group at about 20-25%.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

As a matter of interest, France deployed over 14,000 troops in Gulf War I. If Paris had a dirty bomb set off in it I'm sure they would deploy again.

it is right.

if there werea conflict , counters the stability of the world , the France would be to bring its assisance. ;)

is CMSF a play thus why not to put France inside , for a political reason ? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by RommL:

it is right.

if there werea conflict , counters the stability of the world , the France would be to bring its assisance. ;)

is CMSF a play thus why not to put France inside , for a political reason ? :rolleyes: </font>

Originally posted by RommL:

is CMSF a play thus why not to put France inside , for a political reason ? :rolleyes:

If I understand you correctly, no.. it's economics not politics. As BF have already said (somewhere) if there's nothing US included it doesn't sell as well as if there were hence, presumably, USMC first.

I think that here in France , that the paly would like has more world , if one laid out a little our

army inside... :D

why not , as I have say it , under the united nations. ;)

and for to be the badly received history , us does not summon all has to just like , put in the same bag you. ;)

some are impassioned stories and of wargames.

Originally posted by Feltan:

In addition to politics, there is a fair amount of anectodal resentment too. Travel to France is no fun. Many people have, or know of, people who have been treated very poorly when visiting France. I travel a lot for business. While the country is indeed beautiful, it hardly makes up for they way visitors, especially Americans, are treated.

I guess everyone has their own experiences. I was in Germany during the height of Anti-Americanism during the initial phase of the war and visited France several times. In touristy spots I found the same attitude that you find in tourist traps all over the world, "Give me your money and stop asking stupid questions." In the country my experiences were uniformly good. Sure I have run into rude people but you find those everywhere. Much of the "rudeness" that you hear from both sides of the Atlantic is very overblown in my opinion.

As far as a French module, I wouldn't mind seeing one although to be honest, other than changing the skins I really don't think there would be a fundamental change in switching between the major Western armies.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RommL:

it is right.

is CMSF a play thus why not to put France inside , for a political reason ? :rolleyes: </font>

As far as a French module, I wouldn't mind seeing one although to be honest, other than changing the skins I really don't think there would be a fundamental change in switching between the major Western armies. [/QB]
Well, different vehicles.

Talking about this, are doctrinal & tactical differences, as well as training, hardcoded someway? Apart of the obvious different usage of hardware.

Producing a French module would really be an unsound business decision at this point. Maybe European sales would make up for low U.S. sales, but I don't think so.

Regards,

Feltan

I doupt that it would work, atleast very good. We all have our own history and own armies which have fought against other European armies... Somehow i'm bit sceptical about commercial success :D

How many Finns (yes you who read this post!) would buy CM:SF module:

A. If it had Sweden in sceptical future conflict against some third world country?

B. Otherwise same as A, but now Finns are in role of OpFor?

C. Sweden and Finland fight side-by-side against third world contry... Sorry... I'm gonna puke.

No offence to Sweden or it's army, this is just how things are (or atleast how i think they are).

-Laws of nature.

-You can't foster monkey-baby, can you.

-My dad is better/bigger/meaner/richer than yours.

-Toyota is better than Volkswagen, but Mercedes is best.

You should've got the idea already... ;)