a module french army ?

RommL

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I'm afraid history may not be on our side for the French module. BFC's been hinting about a fat NATO module, and DeGaulle made a point of keeping France out of NATO :rolleyes:

It may be true, but France provided troops in all the last huge NATO deployment (Former-Yugoslavia, Afghanistan...)and I had the privilège to serve in Afghanistan with 27 different countries, including USA (and to cut through a ****ing silly "urban legend" , there's a pretty good relationship between French and US soldiers... And WE DO take showers, we have also TV, radio, highways, and decent food :rolleyes: ).

I agree that all army forces can't be implemented in CM : SF, but some French infantry with VBL's and VAB's would be the least BF guys could do :D

Originally posted by Dingchavez:

It may be true, but France provided troops in all the last huge NATO deployment (Former-Yugoslavia, Afghanistan...)and I had the privilège to serve in Afghanistan with 27 different countries, including USA (and to cut through a ****ing silly "urban legend" , there's a pretty good relationship between French and US soldiers... And WE DO take showers, we have also TV, radio, highways, and decent food :rolleyes: ).

I agree that all army forces can't be implemented in CM : SF, but some French infantry with VBL's and VAB's would be the least BF guys could do :D

Uh oh !

Seems we have some rednecks in the place, bring the beer on and enjoy the show (Fox News show obsviously :-p ).

Nope...these aren't rednecks.....pretty mainstream comments actually. And if you understood American culture, you'd know that Fox News is way too liberal for the redneck crowd.

Regards,

Feltan

Yep, sorry for not being in Irak searching for non-existent WMD and restoring DEMOCRACY, but I'm fed up with ppl always saying the same damn things about my country, particularly when the US soldiers I had the luck to meet where nice guys and we had great time together...

Anyway, there's no much chance to see French troops in CM:SF than having the 1.03 patch this week ;)

Yep, sorry for not being in Irak searching for non-existent WMD and restoring DEMOCRACY, but I'm fed up with ppl always saying the same damn things about my country, particularly when the US soldiers I had the luck to meet where nice guys and we had great time together...

Anyway, there's no much chance to see French troops in CM:SF than having the 1.03 patch this week ;)

It is a trueism that soldiers from different countries almost always have more in common with each other than with their respective civilian counterparts. A U.S. soldier would indeed have more in common with a French soldier than some of the enclaves of anti-military sentiment that are scattered around the U.S. -- well, OK, scattered around California.

The rift between the U.S. and France will take a while to heal. I don't think it is permanent, nor particularly severe. However, Chirac's policies and pronouncements did put distance between two long-time allies.

Regards,

Feltan

Frenchies know how to fight, and are good at it when the political and command aspects are sorted out.

No one would say the french grunts have ever baulked at a fight in a serious way when properly led.

Indochina, Algiers, Syria during WW2 and then the Free French, WW1, Franco-Prussian War. Frenchies stuck it, suffered appaling casualties, fought with bravery and considerable skill. Often man for man the French have been more than a match for the Germans, just cursed with poor staff work and a poor political culture.

Seriously, if you think the French grunts are cowards, read anything about Algiers or Dien Bien Phu.

I'd love to see a French module for CMSF, they aren't afraid to be different.

Originally posted by Speedy:

Did you have a problem with my comment?

It was not intended to be derogatory merely my own view that any government that doesn't put its own national interests first does not deserve to govern.

Not at all Speedy, Sorry if you took it personally :(

It was the above "surrendering" stuff that I was referring to...

I agree with Feltan and Average, but one can't say that France "betrayed" USA.

One always talk about WW2, indeed it'is mostly an American victory (not to mention Pacific theater) but thos ppl always refering to WW2 seem to forget Viet Nam and Irak...

Sorry to do some trashtalking here...

One always talk about WW2, indeed it'is mostly an American victory (not to mention Pacific theater) but thos ppl always refering to WW2 seem to forget Viet Nam and Irak...

Znrglp! COUGH! GACK!

****e, hate swallowing my tongue!

Check something called "Stalingrad" someday..

I doubt we will see a French module for market reason also.

Picking on the French is an easy laugh for americans, since French foreign policy is seen as being anti-american, but it's not, it is pro-french.

France has always been very clear headed (some might say cynical) about using its foreign policy to promote the interests of France. Unlike the United Kingdom, which since WW2 has more or less tried to maintain a close alliance (some might say, getting into bed ;) ) with the U.S.A. France has tried to carve out its own role, since France still sees herself (much to the amusement of the U.S.A., Russia and China) as a great power. The European Community was initially driven by France's desire to carve out a third power bloc between the U.S.A. and the U.S.S.R.

DeGaulle pulled out of NATO because he saw it as dominated by U.S. and U.K. and they rebuffed his efforts to turn it into a tri-partite leadership. Even now, as any euro-watcher can attest, Great Britain and France always watch each other carefully to ensure they are treated as equals in any international organization.

In 1967, DeGaulle unceremoniously dropped his support for Israel since he realized it was more important to maintain close links with the Arab world. France has pursued that policy ever since, often to the exasperation of the U.S., for example when the French government turns a blind eye to the presence of suspected terrorists on its territory or expels a convicted terrorist to a friendly arab country. The policy works, however, France and French commercial interests maintain privileged links troughout most of former french north africa, including Algeria. In addition, as a net oil importer, France cannot afford to piss off the Arabs.

It was mostly to maintain their good relationship in the Arab world that France was not interested in the Iraq adventure.

In addition, Chirac suspected and repeated often in 2002-03 that an Iraq invasion would turn into a quagmire. France fought its own arab war in Algeria for eight long years,in 1954-1962, which Chirac saw first hand as a reserve army officer. It was a vicious, no holds bar, dirty war, also featuring terrorist attacks againt civilians and torture of suspects. The French Army fought very well, winning every single engagement against the rebel forces, sealing the borders and gradually strangling the F.L.N.forces in-country, however an increasing lack of political will in Paris and sheer épuisement in the french population forced DeGaulle to negotiate with the F.L.N. In the end, elements of the army, including crack Paras and Légion regiments rebelled against the government in an ill conceived and botched coup attempt, the repercussions of which tore the French Army apart for years afterwards.

So there were very good reasons for France's refusal to follow the U.S. into Iraq, anti-americanism, however, was way down the list.

As an aside, Président Sarkozy recently made a short vist to Algeria where he received a very warm welcome. Setting up an economic union between France and Algeria was one of the item on the agenda.

Sarkozy in first visit to Algeria promotes union

What is the current state of the relationship between the U.S. and Vietnam? tongue.gif

That's why Chirac said (paraphrased) "My foreign policy is simple. I just look at what the Americans are doing and do the opposite. I'm bound to be right."

If France and Russia had firmly supported the UN sanctions and backed the ultimatum to Saddam perhaps the invasion of Iraq never would have taken place. It would not have angered most arab countries to have seen Saddam displaced.

France's appeasement of the Arabs won't work forever. Wait until the muslims reach a majority in France. It won't be long. They are getting closer in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Originally posted by MD82:

That's why Chirac said (paraphrased) "My foreign policy is simple. I just look at what the Americans are doing and do the opposite. I'm bound to be right."

If France and Russia had firmly supported the UN sanctions and backed the ultimatum to Saddam perhaps the invasion of Iraq never would have taken place. It would not have angered most arab countries to have seen Saddam displaced.

France's appeasement of the Arabs won't work forever. Wait until the muslims reach a majority in France. It won't be long. They are getting closer in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Same old dead horse. Bush/neocons/et al didn't want sanctions or embargo. Nothing short of full pledged invasion would be satisfactory, all others be damned. Which they got in the end. France rightfully retained the right to say "I told you so".