How about more Profanity?

Now I am not talking about really graituitous profanity and swearing for profanity sake...just a little more "realism" in the profanity in the voices on the sound track?

You know.... like Swearing and yelling in real life on the battlefield!

I could be wrong but I am guessing most grunts in most battlefield situations know how to yell a few choice words.

I am thinking of the kind of profanity one might expect in something like Full Metal Jacket which sounded like the right kind and the right amount of swearing to me smile.gif

(I am still chuckling whenever I think of the first 20 mins of that movie!)

-tom w

[ August 29, 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear we are under attack

I advise keeping our heads down in this present situation

What a good idea Sir & I thank you for your relevant advice

No problem soldier…oh & let us consider returning fire

A splendid idea Sir we & the lads will get right onto it

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

37mm needs to be reminded that the game (at least CMx1) does included nationalities other than British.

That reminds me I hope BFC finally fix their ‘evil baddy gap’ and make all Nazi’s speak with a British accent

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

I think you people are running out of ideas and should probably stop posting until the screenshots/movies come out.

Especially if all these brilliant ideas are based on "movies I saw once". :rolleyes:

Most WW II veterans would blush when viewing FMJ; hell, they blushed at "Memphis Belle" which was practically a Disney movie and only had one use of the F word. They just didn't swear like that "back then". Vets had a problem with the swearing in Band of Brothers, too.

Originally posted by Sir 37mm:

Oh dear we are under attack

I advise keeping our heads down in this present situation

What a good idea Sir & I thank you for your relevant advice

No problem soldier…oh & let us consider returning fire

A splendid idea Sir we & the lads will get right onto it

Sounds like the C3PO version to me

Guess it depends on the guys Mr.Dorosh. I know one Candaian vet who is very good at swearing... and liked to quote the things he used to say to officers. ;) That said, IMO, CM does just fine, in that regard. I agree that BOB pushed it a little to far. They may have sworn from time to time, but not as much as that show would have you believe.

I'm sure as old men they probably find gratuitous cussing a little offensive but I really have trouble believing that as 22-23year olds they didn't swear. I mean it was only 60 years ago, I'm suring swearing wasn't just invented in the past 20 years. Now I don't swear in everyday conversation but if someone shot a bullet at me or if I drop a hammer on my toe then I would probably say something and so would have they I think.

That said I think Pseudosimonds is right is right when he says that Tom has run out of worthwhile ideas and Sequoia is right in that we probably all provide all the neccessary profanity ourselves. :D

I would suggest to put in some better accents and national characteristic lexicions employed by the troops for example especially the Aussies bloody oath, I was more than a little disappointed that the mungrels spoke just like as if they were pommy barsteds! It would have been a bewdy if we weren't lumped under the collective British tainting tag yet again, hey fallahs. (Cooee, or am I alone in this?) I'm sure others would appreciate the added sence of being there, ay. Call me a wanker but I think anyone would agree that it's just not cricket. (Especially for the Ashes at the moment.) :eek:

For the record, the Russians in CMBB say nothing tougher than "barstid", "son of a b*tch", "Hello from Mother-in-law Motya!". :rolleyes:

What's more, the voice talent all has big city accents, except for one guy who sounds suspiciously like a native English speaker. Real Russian infantrymen would wet their padded trousers, laughing at their audio depiction in CMBB.

Still, as far as I am concerned BFI can keep the language PG, if they would just get more regional accents into the act. I don't want more dirty words, I want more voice variety, and by that I mean geographic.

Is it so hard to get .wav recordings of RP, North Country, Cockney, Welsh, Scot, and Irish all onto the same disc? Mebbe it is, I dunno, but it sure would be cool if there was a lot more talk and a lot more "local" sound. It would be even better if there were subcontinentals in Hindi, Gurkali, and Sikh - but I know that ain't going to happen.

Same deal for the Americans, what's a war movie without NYC, Phillie, California, and Deep South, Midwest, and Texas all yelling back and forth? I for one would be full willing to upgrade my CPU so my machine could handle the extra files.

Ditto for the Germans: I want Prussians yelling "Target! Fire!", Wuertenburgers yelling "Forward you pigs!" and Bavarians yelling "Run, get out of here!" Or something similar.

As for the Soviets, they're as multinational as all get out. Moscow, Odessa, Siberia, Caucasus, Baltic, and Ukrainian would be a minimum. (Toss up between Moscow and Siberia, as to who swears more.)

This is obviously not as important as fixing some holes in the AP shell/armor engagement engine, but still more variety in the voice recordings would be really cool.

Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

Listen do Dorosh, he knows his stuff.

They didnt have sex or think about it either. No farting, spitting or other disgusting stuff. They were blueblooded gentlemen dammnit, I read it in a book once!

How remarkably unhelpful. Again, don't take my word for it - either do some honest research, or don't holler that BFC "got it wrong" when they didn't. Or lobby for changes to the game based on perceptions 60 years out of date. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

[ August 30, 2005, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I understand from my father, who served in the Pacific, that 'modern movie' type profanity was actually pretty uncommon among the troops of that era. The Army in WWII was mostly draftees so you've got English teachers (Tom Hanks' profession in SPR), farm boys, office workers, church goers, and yes the occassional Brooklynite hood. Of course, they'd cuss & swear but nothing like long string of MFs inserted into dialog in modern movies.

For what it's worth, I'm reading Stephen Ambrose's "The Victors", which by the way isn't really good in my opinion. Anyway he specifically mentions that the soldiers in E company 101st airborne, amongst other factors, formed such a collective due to their persistant use of the F* word and in general their rather one tracked line of speaking.

Mies

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I understand from my father, who served in the Pacific, that 'modern movie' type profanity was actually pretty uncommon among the troops of that era. The Army in WWII was mostly draftees so you've got English teachers (Tom Hanks' profession in SPR), farm boys, office workers, church goers, and yes the occassional Brooklynite hood. Of course, they'd cuss & swear but nothing like long string of MFs inserted into dialog in modern movies.

Yep; this is what I'm saying.

Of course, I'd rather have expletives in a WW II CM than that "Boo-Yah!!!!" in the US voice files.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Most WW II veterans would blush when viewing FMJ; hell, they blushed at "Memphis Belle" which was practically a Disney movie and only had one use of the F word. They just didn't swear like that "back then". Vets had a problem with the swearing in Band of Brothers, too.

3 living WWII vets on my father's side of the family. All 3 were well educated and were officers. All 3 have commented to me during conversations through the years that the majority of line personnel were great guys, but probably because so many were fairly uneducated, they had a vocabulary that would make 50 cent blush.

Don't forget to include the difference in speed of sound and speed of light. When one of your pixeltruppen is cursing everything under the sun across the map I better see his lips moving before the "F-ing krauts!" reaches me. 'Cause this stuff is VERY VERY important! Yeah, I know that the soldiers in CM hardly talk but it's vital that when they do to include some "F- this" and "F- that".