How about more Profanity?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I read this thread, a memory of childhood geekdom just came back that confirms that, yes, I truly DO belong on this board.

At the age of 8, I had the indelicacy to write "You Fokker!" on a cartoon strip I made. I was chewed out royally for it by my father (since he was an aviation engineer, I'm assuming this was after he'd first finished laughing his arse off).

And speaking of family-friendly why should the madness not be passed on to a new generation? My 15 month old daughter is learning the difference between the sound of a diesel and gasoline fired tank engine as I take her on maneuvers in her stroller. Won't the boys in kindergarten be impressed!

Who knows, perhaps she'll be modding Hamstertruppen by age 10.... (just around the time CMx2 Great Patriotic War finally comes out I imagine). tongue.gif

Are there any other curse words in English besides an F*** word and all of its derivatives? If not, then it'll be kinda boring listening to F word in variations.

Russian language has at least 4 distinct words from which other words are derived

dima,

The language is rich with them. Consider, for example, Shakespeare's " A pox on both your houses!" A pox being a plague! Of course, if it's the X pox, where X = some nationality, then it's syphilis.

If you're talking WW II, there are dozens of things which could be said, as I've shown via the links, and that's without getting ethnic/racial.

Since we're there, though...

Japanese were called Japs or Nips (short for Nipponese or sons of Nippon, rarely Jappo), generally with an unpleasant adjective, such as "dirty," or "rotten." The absence of the epicanthic fold was also noted and exploited, as was an alleged vision deficiency requiring thick glasses. Highly recommend WW II Bugs Bunny cartoons for full effect. In the alternative, it could be the noun used as an adjective to refer to someone of illegitimate parentage. This is a general denunciation technique which was broadly employed. Germans were Krauts (sauerkraut reference), Fritz, Fritzie, or Jerry.

You might also hear "the Heinies" or potato eaters. Italians were

Eyeties or Eyetalians, but also Wops if described by Americans. This strange word was actually an Immigration Service notation for undocumented aliens and stood for "without papers." The French were called "the Frogs" because they ate same or "garlic-eaters" since it was a noticeable part of their diet, though the same could be said for most from the Mediterranean region. The British are Limeys, a carryover from the Royal Navy's antiscurvy measures in the days of sail or Tommies, from the Kipling poem, Tommy Atkins. Nothing to do with the Tommy Gun, which was named for General Thompson.

The German might derisively characterize the 37mm Pak 36 as a "doorknocker," while his American counterpart might say of a similar weapon "useless as t$ts on a boar hog!"

Then, we have the ever popular biblical beast of burden, in all its linguistic glory. Equally useful as both a modifier and as a noun, it offers vast possibilities, whether applied to hole, a hat, a brain, someone's fundament, or even Italian field rations, known as asino morte, or "dead donkey." In English, it can be used to describe/question someone's intelligence or lack thereof, dumb@#$, describe how someone's behaving, jack@#$, characterize indolence, lazy@#$ (also in ed form as a modifying phrase). It can also be inferred when unwritten, such as the the dreaded command to get up and resume marching "Off your achin' and onto your dyin'." Less formally,

it may be expressed in terms of cessation of autoerotic pleasure and the return to boots on status, "Drop your c#$%s and grab your socks."

Likewise, the infernal region has many uses.

There's the emphatic negative, "h@#$ no!, the emphatic positive, "h#$% yes!," the summary dismissal, "to h#$% with it!," the curse when something goes wrong, "Aw, h!@#. It's also a battle report, "Sir, it was h@#$," a description

of carousing, usually in bowdlerized form, as "We had a h@#$uva good time," but it may also be used to characterize a military engagement.

The male genitalia and matters related thereto are another prime source of choice utterances. The shortened form of Richard comes to mind and is usable as a noun, a verb (usually past tense but often future) and as an adjective preceding head.

A four-letter word for rooster offers similar opportunities and is favored by the British, who have a slew of formations for the word. Appending "for brains," "face," or "breath" offers many more communication options. The Germans have some excellent ones which ported beautifully to English.

The male sexual emission is colloquially referred to as what ponds commonly have ( a choice epithet in itself) and can be quite wounding when artfully

combined with words like "sucker," "bag" and the ever popular "for brains."

Another good one is the X than formation, often rendered as X'n formation. This is the invidious

extreme comparison. "Dumber'n a brick, smellier than a s#$%house, meaner'n a rattlesnake." Can also be positively employed, "smarter'n a whip, wiser'n an old owl."

X as/like has many possibilities. " Nervous as wh#%e in church, screamed like a little girl/b#$%h, cried like a baby, ran like the devil was chasin' em, shakin' like a dog sh@#$in' peach seeds, peed himself like he was still in diapers."

We have like to. This refers to nearly happened, not a cheery choice. "@##$*(^ artillery landed so

close I like to @#$% myself," or , "we like to died that night, what with all them Jap banzai charges."

References to fly larvae can be endearments or insults, depending on tone and delivery. "Listen up, maggots!"

The conversational possibilities of fecal matter are legion, especially since there are so many synonyms. Could devote an entire post just to that one topic! For some reason, people making shocked utterances like to attach the sacred to the scatological. "Holy s^&*!"

I could go on and on, but true artistry lies in the skillful and devastating combination of these and more--in the moment, unrehearsed and on the fly: "You effing maggots are without a doubt the WORST excuses for mother(incest) soldiers I have EVER seen since I joined this man's (insert service here.) You will sit when I tell you, you will s@%^ when I tell you, you will puke when I tell you, and if ordered in battle, you WILL (insert deity and oath here) DIE when I tell you!"

"Now, ladies (a deep insult in and of itself), we're going to take a little walk. Twenty miles.

Full combat packs. Off your a$%es and on your feet!"

Suggested viewing for DIs tearing strips:

"Full Metal Jacket" R. Lee Ermey

"The Boys of Company C" R. Lee Ermey

"An Officer and a Gentleman" Lou Gossett, Jr.

"The D.I." Jack Webb

Note particularly the artistry in the last, made in the 50s while language censorship was the norm.

The sand flea blistering is a true classic.

Another good one is "The Wild Geese," featuring an RSM who's a terror on the parade ground.

The above is merely a sampling of the vast possibilities English offers.

Regards,

John Kettler

We Finnish speakers tend to look down on the speakers of other languages because of the vastly inferior selection of swear words they have available. And the Finnish swear words are made all the more effective thanks to our language's rolling r's that are usually emphasized for effect: "Perrrrrkele!"

BTW, CM:BOB left all this cussing potential sadly unused.

That's interesting. How do you figure that?

Originally posted by dima:

Are there any other curse words in English besides an F*** word and all of its derivatives? If not, then it'll be kinda boring listening to F word in variations.

Russian language has at least 4 distinct words from which other words are derived