First Impressions of 1.04

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Crinius:

[QBI play at 1680x1050 with everything maxed out and 4AA and 8AF.[/QB]

Woohoo! Do you think it is possible to post a screenshot of some Strykers (perhaps at different distances) with these settings! I am very curious what the AA does to the slat cages!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by flammenwerfer:

Any graphic/visual enhancements?

THE TRENCHES!!!

I had to "be" almost inside to see the 1.03 ones.

I appreciate also the pause assigned to waypoints (even if I don't know exactly how I could use it!)

The dev... the PLEASURE is in the details

A big improvement as far as I am concerned, it just feels better all round and somehow appears to be easier to play.

One thing I did notice though is that in one of the scenarios the Red forces were still crawling between buildings out in the open instead of running across the open space, therefore making it easy for my Infantry on the roof to pick them off quite easily.

Many Thanks to the team

A considerable improvement in performance and runs smoothly with "Better" graphics setting in Allahs Fist, 20-65 FPS.

Something that couldn't be achieved prior to 1.04.

Intel Core2 2.13GHz 2046MB ram 8600GT 256Mb WinXP SP2

Only a couple of days ago I loaded nhancer, a graphics tweaker, and got a few FPS performance boost with 1.03.

very nice, big FPS boost, terrain drawn out farther, same visual quality, however noticed some intermittent texture flashing.

I see Strykers still cannot open up if they are unloaded, hopefully that will be fixed in 1.05?

core duo 6750, gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, 7900 GTX, 2 gig DDR2 800, WIN XP SP2

My First Impressions? Lemme See:

Thundercampaign on Elite. Took only 48 Minutes and Syrian gave up! Got 120Men OK, 2 Injured, 2 Dead, 1 Gunstryker lost !!!

Enemy got: 38 Men Okay, 207 dead, 101 MIA, 98 wounded 22 MBT Lost

That was awesome. Tactics start to work out as they should. Almost no Lost due to AI Failures.

Some Pathfinding is stil a bit strange but its okay. And Tanks and Stryker still need a bit too much of babysitting (Firedirections, where to supress and so on) for a RT Game. i paused so often so that its more like 2 Hours of Game then the 45 Minutes of RT Game Time.

But its okay. Hell!

Kevin Kinscherff ,

I wonder what was the technical breakthrough that increased FPS. If it's not secret it would be interesting to know.
What we did was identify that one of the biggest reasons for slowdowns was the 8x8 grid being drawn in the distance with one texture for each 8x8 spot. This is the way to get maximum detail, but it is slower. After it became clear to us that people would be willing to take a small hit to the graphics to get a larger boost in speed, Charles recoded the engine to use a technique that FPS and RTS games use. That is...

Instead of drawing a unique tile for each 8x8 spot, large sections of the map are drawn using a portion of a much larger texture. The portion shown matches the terrain type, so you still can see what the different terrain types are, but the detail is reduced because you're not seeing a "custom made" tile for that one spot. The thing is that it's hardly noticable at medium range, not noticable at all at far range. Therefore the graphics quality tradeoff isn't as much as we initially thought it would be, but the speed boost is MUCH better than we hoped for. In other words, we didn't use this technique earlier because we thought the tradeoff would be noticably worse graphics for a small increase in speed. We're very glad we were wrong about both :D

Steve

Originally posted by JSB:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flammenwerfer:

Any graphic/visual enhancements?

THE TRENCHES!!!

I had to "be" almost inside to see the 1.03 ones.

I appreciate also the pause assigned to waypoints (even if I don't know exactly how I could use it!)

The dev... the PLEASURE is in the details </font>

Originally posted by zwobot:

I still haven't found out how to chain commands so that an infantry squad dismounts its Stryker/Bradley and moves somewhere else afterwards.

The infantry always disembarks at the last waypoint of its carrying vehicle.

Same for mounting.

Z that is my one of my uber pet peeves. Trust me when I say that Steve has heard us on that one. (Cross fingers 1.05)

Have you guys tried pausing the vehicle at the intended dismount point? Just wondering.

I noticed a nasty bug where my troops wouldn't dismount... I was able to get the ramp (Bradley) to come down, but nobody came out. After a couple tries of that the game crashed. :(

I'll try to get screens, although I can't see how they'd help very much. smile.gif

As for 1.04 proper... very, very nice. There are still some pathing problems, but blast movement seems to work and infantry are MUCH more responsive. Infantry and vehicles alike seem to do a much better job of defending themselves.

I did have a couple enemy try to run past a burning Brad that happened to be ten feet from a non-burning Brad. They died. That sucked, but at least they were running as opposed to strolling. Big win! smile.gif

House-to-house fighting was breathtaking .. troops moving in fast, engaging the enemy as they spotted them, taking casualties and responding to the fire... very, very cool. Troops seemed much less reluctant to provide buddy aid under fire as well, which was a nice bonus.

Honestly, I played for a couple hours last night, watched the latest episode of "The War", and immediately began hankering for CMx2WWII in addition to the Marines module.

Good job, guys. I'm looking forward to the 1.05 tweaks, but this pretty much nailed it for me.

pad152,

I only wish there was some work done on improving QB's in this version, guess I'll have to wait for 1.05
It took us nearly 4 weeks to get out v1.04 and that was with nothing done to QBs. Core gameplay issues must come first because everybody has to deal with them all the time, every time.

Phillip,

Hmmm... that crash doesn't sound very good! You wouldn't happen to have a save sometime before then to test out, would you? If so, please email it to matt@battlefront.com and say that I asked you to send it along for me. Gotta keep my thin piece of copper to the Internet as free as possile :(

Steve

Steve, I'll check tonight when I get home. I might have grabbed a save beforehand.

(Honestly, I was having so much fun I hardly noticed the CTD.)

If not I might be able to reproduce it pretty easily.

I am also quite happy with this patch. But I just played the scenario "Hammertime" and saw something which seems to be a bug (although I have seen this in earlier versions of the game, too). Two squads of mine where rested & ready I wanted to move them. I tried several commands (move, quick, fast) but after a second or so, the movement indicator disappeared and the squads where not moving at all. Does anybody know this problem?

Originally posted by Garm:

I am also quite happy with this patch. But I just played the scenario "Hammertime" and saw something which seems to be a bug (although I have seen this in earlier versions of the game, too). Two squads of mine where rested & ready I wanted to move them. I tried several commands (move, quick, fast) but after a second or so, the movement indicator disappeared and the squads where not moving at all. Does anybody know this problem?

I saw this in 1.03 Hammertime and one of the guys in the squad said "planning" constantly and they would not move at all. Should be fixed in 1.04 though I thought but maybe not even your issue either. My past experience anyway.

This was a long post about how good the patch is, but that verhicles now seem to have some difficulty spotting each other (Al Hacq, 65 mtrs apart, in the middle of the street, and in ful daylight. The Bradley blew up the BTR after several minutes, the wreck immediatly reverted to a question mar. Opening up the Bradley helped). But the board told me I put in some short html marks that were not allowed, and deleted the post :( .