Simulated Para Drops

Holien

I did that simulated para drop in a scenario (fictional) I made for CMBO a LONG time ago. (Works like a charm)

But I don't think I released it to everybody just a few friends.

I have not seen of or heard of any CMAK scenario with this feature BU, the mechanism in the game with sporatic reinforcements (scattered para drops of that kind of para unit) works JUST fine, but you don't get so see 'chutes falling out of the sky like in the intro to Battlefield 1942, which does looks pretty.

-tom w

[ September 02, 2005, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Holien,

In one of the RoW tournaments there was a night scenario where both sides had paratroopers showing up all over the place. You never knew what was going to happen next.

I believe it was based on a historical situation where two para-drops took place almost simultaneously to capture a bridge.

I’ll take a look for it.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

I am pretty satisfied with the current mechanism I use for paradrops - having no forces on the board to begin with, but having reinforcements arrive sporadically over the course of 3-5 minutes. Just put the reinforcement markers at likely LZs, or scattered about randomly at will.

I've used it too, but it doesn't work very well

a) sticks can't scatter - all squads entering as reinforcements have to do so unsplit, and all platoons enter within command and control; this doesn't simulate the confusion of these types of landings (unless you are simulating glider troops)

B) reinforcement markers can't be placed randomly, only the percentage chance of arrival can be altered, as well as the turn - so your troopers always hit their DZs

Originally posted by Panzer_M:

when you shoot down a plane I'd like to see it crash to earth. just for the victory sense of it

like old back in the day Steel panthers.

What are the odds that an airplane travelling 300 km/h at an altitude of 500 metres or more is going to fly into the ground within 2000 metres of being hit by anti-aircraft fire? I'd say zero. Even if it exploded in mid air, inertia would carry the debris off the map, wouldn't it?

Hmmm...couldn't you edit them to enter as PINNED or worse? Not an ideal fix, but it does go someway to expressing their vulnerability and dispersal.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

I am pretty satisfied with the current mechanism I use for paradrops - having no forces on the board to begin with, but having reinforcements arrive sporadically over the course of 3-5 minutes. Just put the reinforcement markers at likely LZs, or scattered about randomly at will.

a) sticks can't scatter - all squads entering as reinforcements have to do so unsplit, and all platoons enter within command and control; this doesn't simulate the confusion of these types of landings (unless you are simulating glider troops)

B) reinforcement markers can't be placed randomly, only the percentage chance of arrival can be altered, as well as the turn - so your troopers always hit their DZs </font>

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

Hmmm...couldn't you edit them to enter as PINNED or worse? Not an ideal fix, but it does go someway to expressing their vulnerability and dispersal.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

B) reinforcement markers can't be placed randomly, only the percentage chance of arrival can be altered, as well as the turn - so your troopers always hit their DZs </font>

This is one situation where random selection of reinforcement places would be useful.

Another similar feature that would be nice to have: this same random location feature, but for units that are shown in setup. A scenario designer could lock a unit position to one of many places. Which one would be used, would be selected randomly. This would be VERY useful for things like picking good AT-gun positions for the AI, good places for mines etc. Scenario designers could help the AI a little, but there would still be a surprise element in case someone wants to play the same scenario again.

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

This is one situation where random selection of reinforcement places would be useful.

Another similar feature that would be nice to have: this same random location feature, but for units that are shown in setup. A scenario designer could lock a unit position to one of many places. Which one would be used, would be selected randomly. This would be VERY useful for things like picking good AT-gun positions for the AI, good places for mines etc. Scenario designers could help the AI a little, but there would still be a surprise element in case someone wants to play the same scenario again.

Also in this case the ability for platoons to come in seperately - ie in different reinforcement locations. Impossible to do now.

Can't you place the units far enough apart that squads are out of command from their Pltn HQs to help simulate the confussion of a Para drop. (I would also have them landing suppressed and their morale statis reduced to mimick their volnerability.)

I would love to see the bombing and straifing planes when they appair overhead at least. If that is done it shouldn't be too difficult to have paradrops, glider assault craft and airlanding transports actually occurring in the game. These assets would be outside the players control of course and both the Tac and Strat AI would have to be capable enough to deal with them.

Apart from such things as the realism factor and the exciting enjoyment that players ought to experience from all this, I think the modelling possibilities would keep mods fantastically busy for sure. They would have all those planes and gliders and transports and not to mention the multi coloured parachutes. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

Can't you place the units far enough apart that squads are out of command from their Pltn HQs to help simulate the confussion of a Para drop.

You have no control over the placing of units in reinforcement groups, nor can you split platoons between groups.

If you're talking about placing on the map during the design process, then yes, you could do this, effectively padlocking one side or the other since units set up in a neutral or "enemy" zone can't be moved in set up, and having friendly zones scattered all over just tells the enemy where the setup zones are by process of elimination.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer_M:

when you shoot down a plane I'd like to see it crash to earth. just for the victory sense of it

like old back in the day Steel panthers.

What are the odds that an airplane travelling 300 km/h at an altitude of 500 metres or more is going to fly into the ground within 2000 metres of being hit by anti-aircraft fire? I'd say zero. Even if it exploded in mid air, inertia would carry the debris off the map, wouldn't it? </font>

In the book " A bridge to far" there is an account of an allied fighter pilot who gets shot down over the british DZ runs up to some Paras ( actually it might have been Infantry who dropped in the second phase not actual Red Berrets), borrowed a sten gun and ran off in to the trees saying " I saw the bastards that hit me and I am going to get them".

Apparently a true verified account, although I'd still go along with Dorosh and say it's too unlikely to put in as it would be unrealistic.

I think I'll log off as I've agreed with him twicw tonight and that is a little freaky...

Peter.