Some disconnect between the detail and the scope/scale of CMSF.

Originally posted by dalem:

Playing Operation Crusader right now.

This is a game I had really high hopes for. It looked like GDW's Operation Crusader moved onto computer, and it don't hardly get any better than that. But sad to say, it didn't take me more than a couple of weeks to give up on the game. I think two things soured me on it. One was that there was no free set up option. You were stuck with just the canned scenarios that came on the disk. The second was move plotting. If you let the automatic system plot your moves for you, the paths could get entirely crazy, and plotting them by hand was tedium cubed. If I wanted to complain about a third thing (and why not?), there was also the predictable, stereotyped response of the enemy AI, at least for the first couple of moves.

To be fair, in the mid-'90s that was about as good as it got. But in the end it wasn't a game I really wanted to play a lot. Not coincidentally it was about this time that I really started to get into flight sims a lot. Oh, and TacOps too. TacOps has a place in my personal hall of fame.

Michael

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Adam1:

I have good friends.

Yes, and some of them are right here on the forum wondering why you've been acting like a colossal dill-hole for the last couple of weeks.

We all know what it's like to go through crap in our private lives and not necessarily feel the need to advertise it to total strangers. Despite the tone of your last few emails to me, if there is something you really want to talk about in private, feel free; I think it is obvious that something is going on with you. Your participation here certainly doesn't need to end this way.

Whatever you decide, those that know you best will respect your decision, though perhaps not the way you've chosen to exercise it.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

WeGo will never be tossed, no worries there. There are some WeGo things we hope to fix in v1.04 and there are a few more on the list for the near term.

You guys read that? WEGO IMPROVEMENTS are on the way!

That is what the Modules are there for :D

NOW that's what I am talking about brother! Cram those bad boys full of beauteous, wonderful, deadly AFVs, Field guns and tanks! I'll buy everyone of them! I can't wait to see what Dan can do with a Priest, and an M8, and an M20, and a Greyhound in this engine...I just drooled all over my keyboard again.

Mord.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

Playing Operation Crusader right now.

This is a game I had really high hopes for. It looked like GDW's Operation Crusader moved onto computer, and it don't hardly get any better than that. But sad to say, it didn't take me more than a couple of weeks to give up on the game.</font>

Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

I am looking forward to see what people do with the scenario maker, I think the surface has only been scratched.

I can remember guys doing stuff with CMBO that blew me away, so I can only imagine what they will do with this one. The envelope isn't gonna be pushed it's gonna be bent over and abused in ways that would make a convict blush.

Mord.

I for one can not understand how ANYBODY could have skilled CMBB, for example, but lots of people just don't like the Eastern Front. To me this is like someone saying he doesn't find sex to be fun :D

More like sex with ugly people isn't fun. ;)

-dale

Anyway, the point of that bit of history is just to say that the desire to go smaller was always there, but the computers aren't ready for it. In a couple of years, who knows! The cool thing is that most of the game engine can handle it already.

Steve,

Sorry, but your statement is, unfortunately, incomplete. The Close Combat series had 2x2 meter terrain resolution over 10 years ago.

So, when you set up this system, what were your other constraints: Max. number of units? Max. map size?

Or is relative spotting the great evil, that sets CM:SF apart in terms of computing power as compared to earlier games?

Best regards,

Thomm

2. We are working under immense time pressure. If we find a bug, run it through Charles, he comes back with a fix, we run it through to see if it is fixed, and then we're good to go.
The world is full of guys who can code PC games. Ever thought of increasing your staff? Does Charles have good life insurance? Or when he goes does CM go with him? Seems a bit daft to have one guy do everything when you can hire some more guys to help out.

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Adam1:

Yeah I think I'll leave. I haven't met a virtuous person here in about a year. Bye.

No worries Adam, your choice. If you decide to return all Im asking is that you address others, or as it turns out pretty much the entire forum community, with a little respect. I dont think that is a big ask. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />But this place is not for me. This is a trash forum now.

What was that line from the movie Payback? Don't poop where you eat, or somefink like that?

Well, sorry to see Adam finally tipped himself over the edge. Hope you find a place worthy of your intellectual greatness. I think well struggle on as üntermensch.

Now, where were we before Adam raised the bar on intllectual discourse? Oh yes, we were talking about a A GAME...

Steve </font>

Originally posted by GSX:

I find this statement amazing. One of the things that has always kept me away from this place is the way a certain few of the in-crowd posters dominate and basically bully either new guys or guys who dont share the same opinions.

GSX I/we cant be everywhere at once, but if people email me about inappropiate behaviour I look at each and every case. In fact many a time I have stepped in and told the old timers to chill when the new guys ask questions, and its a behaviour I have not personally noticed in some time.

In this case I was just browsing threads and saw terms such as "Blow me dude", "STFU" and "The rest can circle jerk without me" being thrown around and suggested it was inappropiate according to the forum rules, as I would have no matter who was doing the posting.

[ September 06, 2007, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Rollstoy,

It's been a very long time since I played CC on a friend's rig, after which I had a fateful encounter with the CMBO Beta Demo, but ISTR that CC wasn't 3-D but sprites. Thus all of the CM games, and CMSF in particular, generate enormous processor demands that sprite based games don't. Is 2 meter resolution worth returning to sprites? I think not!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GSX:

I find this statement amazing. One of the things that has always kept me away from this place is the way a certain few of the in-crowd posters dominate and basically bully either new guys or guys who dont share the same opinions.

GSX I/we cant be everywhere at once, but if people email me about inappropiate behaviour I look at each and every case. In fact many a time I have stepped in and told the old timers to chill when the new guys ask questions, and its a behaviour I have not personally noticed in some time.

In this case I was just browsing threads and saw terms such as "Blow me dude", "STFU" and "The rest can circle jerk without me" being thrown around and suggested it was inappropiate according to the forum rules, as I would have no matter who was doing the posting. </font>

GSX, I was just going to say that. What I find on this forum many times is that certain people are allowed to come in and belittle others over a series of different threads to get someone riled up. When the person then blows a gasket, BFC comes down on them.

Every now and then, take a look at other threads and you can see this. Was Adam's posts appropriate, No, but it could have been stopped a few days ago by keeping people from sniping at him whenever he brought up an issue with the game.

BFC's forums have a reputation around the web of being dominated by a few favorites. CMSF has done very little to change that. That does not help cut BFC any slack when a real problem surfaces.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

It's been a very long time since I played CC on a friend's rig, after which I had a fateful encounter with the CMBO Beta Demo, but ISTR that CC wasn't 3-D but sprites. Thus all of the CM games, and CMSF in particular, generate enormous processor demands that sprite based games don't. Is 2 meter resolution worth returning to sprites? I think not!

You have a point, unless you consider that:

Squad Assault had more units (than CC), bigger maps (up to 1 km squared), and terrain tiles of 2.5 meters squared.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by thewood:

BFC's forums have a reputation around the web of being dominated by a few favorites. CMSF has done very little to change that. That does not help cut BFC any slack when a real problem surfaces.

Come on over to the Peng Thread and slap em around a bit. It's Mutha beautiful !

Originally posted by GSX:

Anyways, now that Ive finished it, what should I look forward to? I dont think a Marine module would work as I dont think they have any really different equipment, do they?

Anyway, thanks for my 4 weeks of fun and looking forward to a ww2 game next? Any ideas if it will be out for Xmas?

What do you mean by "finished it"? How do you "finish" a completely open-ended game? You finished one of the campaigns, you mean?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

What do you mean by "finished it"? How do you "finish" a completely open-ended game? You finished one of the campaigns, you mean?

What is open-ended about the game? You played through the campaign + you played all the stock missions = you finished it.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GSX:

Anyways, now that Ive finished it, what should I look forward to? I dont think a Marine module would work as I dont think they have any really different equipment, do they?

Anyway, thanks for my 4 weeks of fun and looking forward to a ww2 game next? Any ideas if it will be out for Xmas?

What do you mean by "finished it"? How do you "finish" a completely open-ended game? You finished one of the campaigns, you mean? </font>

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thewood:

Come on over to the Peng Thread and slap em around a bit. It's Mutha beautiful ! </font>