Some disconnect between the detail and the scope/scale of CMSF.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rollstoy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

What do you mean by "finished it"? How do you "finish" a completely open-ended game? You finished one of the campaigns, you mean?

What is open-ended about the game? </font>

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fully open-ended scenario editor with full-blown map editor (something most games don't have), the campaign editor, and the Quick Battle feature, not to mention the community providing content for all of these.

Umm ...how do you not see that?

I simply agree with GSX' definition of 'finishing a game'.

That's all, really.

If I play through Half Life, OFP, Unreal, Brothers in Arms, ... once, I consider the game finished.

The only games that fit my definition of open-ended are MMORPGs or perhaps those space trading/fighting games.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by thewood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thewood:

BFC's forums have a reputation around the web of being dominated by a few favorites. CMSF has done very little to change that. That does not help cut BFC any slack when a real problem surfaces.

Come on over to the Peng Thread and slap em around a bit. It's Mutha beautiful ! </font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Interiors are simulated, but I agree that there could be better "clear and hold" logic going on with the TacAI. Originally (about 2 years ago, on paper) you had to choose what to do when you ordered someone into a building/floor. The choices were either to Clear or to Occupy. The resulting behavior would be entirely different depending on the choice. This was scrapped due to other issues and Assault was meant to substitute for this. Meaning, if you want to clear a floor you Assault it...

Problem is that you cannot AFAIK use assault across distances. So you are forced to use a series of waypoints QUICK (move across/down the alley) >> ASSAULT (into the house) >> HUNT (up the stairs and through the levels), and the transition from one state to another is problematic. As the squad changes mission / order / what-have-you they seem to me to be very very vulnerable. Almost as if there is a few seconds where their TacAI is dormant, turned off while they do and assembly routine. ...and as luck would have it this is when I find my little squadies turning into fading Red Cross markers.

Originally posted by GSX:

What do you mean by "finished it"? How do you "finish" a completely open-ended game? You finished one of the campaigns, you mean?

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

The fully open-ended scenario editor with full-blown map editor (something most games don't have), the campaign editor, and the Quick Battle feature, not to mention the community providing content for all of these.

Umm ...how do you not see that?

I simply agree with GSX' definition of 'finishing a game'.

That's all, really.

If I play through Half Life, OFP, Unreal, Brothers in Arms, ... once, I consider the game finished.

The only games that fit my definition of open-ended are MMORPGs or perhaps those space trading/fighting games.

Best regards,

Thomm </font>

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Abbott:

BFC's forums have a reputation around the web of being dominated by a few favorites. CMSF has done very little to change that. That does not help cut BFC any slack when a real problem surfaces.

Come on over to the Peng Thread and slap em around a bit. It's Mutha beautiful ! </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GSX:

Originally posted by Mishga:

Yeah the hardcore forumites rule with an iron fist here.

I am new around here but I have read back as far as I can and there are a few who tend to dominate.

On the other hand there are some real gems.

It's like being back in high school lol smile.gif

Junior high, more like. But what you say is true and has been since the earliest days of CMBO. I expect there are Blood feuds going back to the last century for pity's sake! But I can assure you that you and the many other new members to the forum are the life's blood to CM Gaming.

Originally posted by thewood:

I was also under the impression you had to be from Minnesota. I have a feeling mnetioning your name will only get me more abuse.

Aww, only 3 or 4 of us are from Minnesota. But we're the nice ones. It's those darned Aussies you have to worry about.

-dale

Huh? And CM:BO was set over a 9-month period. You seem like you're trying awfully hard to be dense, particularly since the game is in a fictional setting and could be used to simulate actions in Iraq or Afghanistan or a fictional country like AdamL's campaign - the reason I suggested contacting him was that you were complaining there was "nothing else to do". His post was clear evidence that the community's imagination is far from exhausted.

Some people see what they want to see, I guess.

Even if you look at just the fictional 3-month campaign in Syria, the game only depicts one of the Stryker brigades, and only a handful of actions are depicted in the Task Force Thunder campaign. The sky is the limit, really; I'd recommend snooping around the scenario forum and trying out the offerings of some of your peers, or go to CMMODS.com and try some of the downloads...

Was I complaining? I didnt think I was. I enjoyed it, hey it was what $40 and I had at least a month out of it. Other games have been £80 dollars and Ive finished them in 2 or 3 days. Going to watch a movie costs what $20-$30 dollars? The movie lasts 3 hours at most. So was CMSF value for money. It sure was.

As for more scenarios, well wouldn't it be just using the same forces? In a game built around a Stryker force in a fictional campaign? OK, you can have some Bradley Inf and MBTs. OK, on to Iraq, what, the Iraqis have Syrian uniforms and equipment? And more out of left field, how can I suspend disbelief and imagine a Stryker unit in Afghanistan, where Syrian forces and irregulars just happen to be in Helmand?

Your point about cmbo is valid, it was set over 9 months. However cmak and cmbb together cover 6 years. I'm still playing 2 opponents in both games in my little project to play a battle from every month of the war. been doing that for almost 3 years now and Im still only in Italy on CMAK and Kursk has just ended in CMBB, so there is a way to go until Ive finished them.

What am I trying to say? Nothing really, just that I personally feel SF has nothing realistic to offer me right now. Maybe a new module will change that? CMBB offered the chance to be everything and play everywhere and maybe in 4 or 5 years SF will have enough modules to emulate it. I am happy to continue playing other games until new ones arrive. But for now my CMSF game resides on my HD along with many other games that I may fire up and play occasionally.

So whats to worry about? BF has my money and will no doubt plough it into future projects. Thus everyone is a happy Mackerel, unless of course they dont do a Brit module, now then I will probably go a wee bit doollaly.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Interiors are simulated, but I agree that there could be better "clear and hold" logic going on with the TacAI. Originally (about 2 years ago, on paper) you had to choose what to do when you ordered someone into a building/floor. The choices were either to Clear or to Occupy. The resulting behavior would be entirely different depending on the choice. This was scrapped due to other issues and Assault was meant to substitute for this. Meaning, if you want to clear a floor you Assault it...

Problem is that you cannot AFAIK use assault across distances. So you are forced to use a series of waypoints QUICK (move across/down the alley) >> ASSAULT (into the house) >> HUNT (up the stairs and through the levels), and the transition from one state to another is problematic. As the squad changes mission / order / what-have-you they seem to me to be very very vulnerable. Almost as if there is a few seconds where their TacAI is dormant, turned off while they do and assembly routine. ...and as luck would have it this is when I find my little squadies turning into fading Red Cross markers. </font>