Some disconnect between the detail and the scope/scale of CMSF.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by AdamL:

Dorosh,

What? Do you mean my nasty tone? Speaking my mind? A mental breakdown. Intersting hypothesis. How's the single bedroom apartment life treating ya?

I wouldn't know, to be honest. Never lived in one.

About your email, though:

Hi Michael,

I don't want to deal with your **** on the forums, and you probably don't want to deal with mine. Can you please do me a favour and stay away from me?

That is a formal request, not to reply to my posts. Obviously you do what you want with everyone else (be that in my own threads or others) but, and note this well please:

I take it as a personal attack when you reply to me.

I have changed my name on the forum so my last initial is gone. Guess why.

So, first and last formal request. Otherwise there will be personal consequences to you in Alberta.

Thanks.

I'll be passing this on to the Calgary Police Service, but I do think you need to seek some counselling. My comments on your mental health were sincere. Like - it's just a game dude - and just a forum.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Others were left out on purpose and time wasn't an issue, so on that score the CMx2 will never be "fixed" because we aren't going to ever put those things in.

What are these? LOL so I don't bother requesting them?

Mord.

Adam1,

Oh good! So it's just a strange coincidence that the bugs were so easy to find post-release. LOL. Insult all our intelligence, Steve. Bravo.
I'm not insulting your intelligence in regards to finding bugs, I'm saying you are just too stupid to figure out that software development isn't perfect and that just because you find a bug you aren't the smartest guy in town. So dial down your abuse or take a holiday.

Here, let me clean that drool from your chin.
Silly person... how could I make a computer version of ASL when I have never, ever played ASL? I saw a stack of boxed modules and what not in Charles' closet a few weeks before he sold them, but almost all were unopened. As far as I know Charles has never played ASL either. You've been around here long enough that you should know that. Not sure what drool has to do with anything.

No, it's not my opinion and it's not about me. It's about your game. It has fundamental design issues and the "bugs" are problems having to do with the design, ie., what has mostly been being discussed on this discussion board for 2 years.
Well, all bugs are the result of code, the code is made according to a design, so in a sense you're correct that the bugs have to do with the design. How you're able to make the leap that these bugs can't be fixed is rather interesting.

Why don't you ENLIGHTEN me Steve, as to what causes the LOS/LOF bug.
Errors in the code, what else?

You're really going to have to come up with better substance than reminding everyone that they have an opinion.

Or face losing the respect of anyone worth having it from.

This coming from the guy that just posted "STFU" and "Blow me"? That's rather brave of you to stand in judgement.

Here's the interesting thing. All arguments about the game being "crap" come down to opinion. People, like you, state it as fact. Others come on and say they love it, thus proving that the opinion of the game is an opinion. The accusation is then made that CMx1 was perfect and we shouldn't have changed anything. I point out that Steel Panthers and ASL grogs had the same opinion about their games and looked upon CMBO as hearsay, but apparently you're glad we stood our ground against the sticks-in-the mud. This usually gets the hackeles up because today's complainers don't like being compared to "hexheads" and "IGOUGO bigots". So, the accusations shift to "everybody loved CMAK, so the fact that not everybody loves CM:SF means you failed". I say that isn't true that lots of people didn't like CMAK, then inevitably a customer who loved CMBO and/or CMBB comes on and says exactly that. Or better still, someone comes and says they tried CMx1 demos and didn't like them but love CM:SF. Around and around we go.

We're not in denial that there are things that need to be fixed. We understand that and are very honest about it. What would be refreshing is if you could admit that your personal dislike of the game isn't the be-all-end-all say on the matter and that POSSIBLY we've made a great game (rough edges excepted) that you just don't happen to like. I seriously doubt you'll do that.

I think you are in denial about the state of your game, your company, your customers and your mind.
Nah, you're just bothered that we didn't make the game that you wanted. Normally people accept that and move on, but you apparently are having difficulties doing that. You're problem, not mine.

And the funding for that shift came out of loyal pockets.
You got far more than you're money's worth out of what you bought, so we could instead argue that you didn't pay us enough to steer clear of progress and change.

Steve

Mord,

What are these? LOL so I don't bother requesting them?
No dancing naked ladies. That's out right there :D

Basically, at this stage, the easiest thing to say is that the core of CM:SF will not change. 1:1 is here to stay, 8x8m tiles are here to stay (until we shrink them, which we might in time), the inclusion of RealTime is not going to be removed, increasing the game beyond what CMx1 and CMx2's scope isn't going to happen. Having every unit + the kitchen sink added into a single game will never happen again. etc.

What can change is how this stuff is presented. We're going to do a lot in terms of adding more feedback, like Show All Moves that was just reintroduced. QBs are going to undergo a transformation for CM:WW2 that will make them conceptually similar to CMx1 (though not identical). AI will be improved over time, in particular TacAI. Things like that will happen.

When it comes time to start in on these things we'll have discussions here to flesh out the basic concepts, but that time isn't here yet.

Steve

Steve, You have already addressed continued AI improvement over time, that is a big one for me, especially the infantry. Will WEGO in CM:SF be able to work as well as it did in CMX1? And the LOS issues also? I sure don't miss that little berm blocking LOS issue from CMX1 is that issue resolved with the 8 X 8 tiles?

Sorry for all the questions, I know your busy.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Personally, I always hated the depiction of houses and buildings as a cube that could be entered from either side just as easily as the next. Defending buildings was a LOT harder than it should have been because you had to worry about an assault on all 4 sides (or at least 2 or 3). I know I was not alone in that annoyance :D

Personally, I don't think we could possibly have credible MOUT warfare without explicit simulation of doors and windows. And don't say that CMx1 had great MOUT because I don't think anybody would be foolish enough to suggest that (or at least wouldn't have prior to CM:SF coming out). We put almost no thought into MOUT warfare in CMx1. The fact that it handled it as well as it did was accidental. We knew we weren't going to get lucky like that twice.

The funny thing is that just about everything in CMx2 was requested by CMx1 players. From what I can tell some should have been careful what they wished for (or whined for as the case often was smile.gif ).

Steve

Steve

One of the things I find a little annoying is that soldiers who move into buildings don't really seem to be aware or concerned that there might be an enemy combatant some ten feet away from them. Seemingly they are more concerned with finding a good window spot (yes, this is using all types of commands to enter the room). So 5-7 guys pile into a room and then turn to the windows and a few seconds later three Syrian troops materialize behind them and start shooting them in the back. Are these guys blind?

What of the US training for just such maneuvers?

Only occasionally when there is one petrified enemy soldier who has been shell-shocked from direct .50 cal and 40mm fire into his position for the last 5-10 minutes can I usually enter a building with an entire squad and hope to take that last guy out without losing 1-2 of my squad.

Are you trying to abstractly simulate something here? If so, what? I'm not being facetious here, I'm genuinely interested in BFC's take on how close-up contact in buildings is simulated in the game.

Addendum: This question might also tie in with the question of fighting abilities of conscript level troops in CMSF. I made a mission from the user-submitted "Violet Road" map and used a large number of Syrian conscript troops as the Red side. I was surprised how well they could stand up to my Stryker infantry who were, without exception "Elite" level infantry. i would have thought this to be a sever mis-match on a squad vs. squad basis.

[ September 05, 2007, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: SlapHappy ]

Originally posted by Adam1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> And the funding for that shift came out of loyal pockets.

You got far more than you're money's worth out of what you bought, so we could instead argue that you didn't pay us enough to steer clear of progress and change.

I won't buy BFC products, ever, again. I don't agree at all. Let's not even touch the fraud farces surrounding the release.

You've lost my respect. </font>