Poll: Do you think the game is much more playable after 103

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post here an extract from an email I sent to Elmar, hope he's OK with that:

"i'm giving

it a chance before i judge it, because i remember it took a while for me

to love CM1.

IOW, as of right now i'm not really "getting it". i think WWII combat was just more fun. is the Tiger turret turning slowly enough to let you get a 75mm Sherman past? being able to take 1/3 casualties (you know, you've fought me) and still consider it a success, judging whether the angle on the 6pdr is sufficient to kill the Panther because his infantry is getting close -- it's the limitations on things that make them fun. look at old cathedrals, they're incredible because the limitations of the materials and what could be done made them so. look at anything where materials or understanding is at it's limit - bridges, F1, space exploration. it's there where things are fun.

with the modern battlefield it really is true - if you can see it, you can kill it.

where's the fun in that? "

Yes, the game is much more playable after 1.03. But, whether it is a game I want to play is still debatable. It still has far too many bugs and the UI is still more of a chore than a help.

I'm still waiting for more patches before I try to play it as much as I played CMx1. I'm giving this game the biggest benefit of the doubt of any game I have ever played due to BFCs previous releases.

But so far it is not looking like much fun. I was hoping to have a new game to play for a while, but instead I have probably spent more time reading these forums trying to find out if something I encountered is a bug or a 'feature' or an abstraction.

At this point I guess I "don't get it". I can't tell if the LOS issues are abstractions or bugs. I can't tell if troops not going through a window is a feature or a bug or an abstraction. I can't tell if the no status indicators above my soldiers (panicked, pinned, etc) are a deliberate feature or just missing. I can't tell if a Stryker backing into a building and unloading troops inside the building is a feature. Etc.

If v1.03 is the way that BFC intended for the game to be released then I am beginning to side on the fact that I will spend my future gaming money elsewhere since it is way too buggy and frustrating for me to enjoy playing. If this turns out to be the case it is a shame because I loved this company and their games.

I'll wait for a few more patches before deciding to pack it in and move along. But it is tough leaving after so many good times.

In my opinion.

yes, but javelins don't seem to kill T-72s anymore.

Ultimately, the 8x8 m terrain abstraction may not allow for a sufficiently accurate sim to be playable. i.e. the frustrations may outweigh the ease of use benefits. For example, will a tank be able to approach the top of a hill to reach a hull down or turret down position with this abstraction? Need to do more testing to see how this works.

Yes, looks better + some nasty bugs been fixed smile.gif

I must add to that, I was already enjoying the game, so now even more.

Been playing campaign, sp battles (mostly rts, few wego), rts mp and now started some pbem's.. I must say I enjoy all of them, even though the crashes in mp rts, lame AI in wego SP and various other minor bugs... Im sure battlefront will try its best to resolve them all and introduce new features...

Offtopic; I'm new to the CM series. I c a lot of old CMx1 players being dissapointed, i'm actually curious why, except for the too soon release. Maybe it's just different then what they were used to, played for years and got addicted to ;) ... Hehe, I Played a CMx1 demo once but wasn't really thrilled, probably due to my dislike of turnbased games till now...

Originally posted by Mishga:

I have lots of fun with it but getting tank sniped through a berm is no fun.

You know what I mean, absolutley no LOS to enemy unit...then bang! Your vehicle is a volcanic eruption on wheels and no idea how the shell was able to punch thru what looks like 10m of solid ground.

That is the main enjoyment killer for me.

That might not be as far fetched as you think ;)

I have heard several first hand accounts of having done just that (through a berm) from very reliable sources.

I am still waiting for them to fix TACAI and WEGO (more orders!), before buying. Where is the 1.03 Demo?

Yes. I fired up 1.03 for a quick 30-minute test the night it came out and found that "five more minutes" extended that to about an hour. Very fun compared to previous versions.

There are still a number of major issues. I second sgtgoody's comment re: infantry. I really would like them to "act like they should". I think that this is a critical aspect of making CM:SF work as a game in general and wargame in particular.

Cheers on the excellent and quick patch, guys.

Originally posted by 19k_Blitz:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mishga:

I have lots of fun with it but getting tank sniped through a berm is no fun.

You know what I mean, absolutley no LOS to enemy unit...then bang! Your vehicle is a volcanic eruption on wheels and no idea how the shell was able to punch thru what looks like 10m of solid ground.

That is the main enjoyment killer for me.

That might not be as far fetched as you think ;)

I have heard several first hand accounts of having done just that (through a berm) from very reliable sources.

I am still waiting for them to fix TACAI and WEGO (more orders!), before buying. Where is the 1.03 Demo? </font>