First impressions of 1.06

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Childress:

I see that the crossing contiguous buildings bug is still festering:

//www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=003468;p=1#000000

While a great deal of work was done on the interior door and movement orders, I don't believe the roof top jump was addressed with this patch...I'm making a note of this for my 107 wish list. It may be more difficult to do without creating a situation where troops can be ordered (inadvertently) to jump off roofs.

What still needs to be done?

I bought CMSF back the day it came out and have yet to play a scenario... I mean literally not even 2 minutes...

Too damn busy sadly. Someday I'll have time and I'm hoping it will coincide with some near perfect patch. Will it be 1.06? 1.07?

Maybe I'll have time this weekend... smile.gif

Javaslinger

Originally posted by Javaslinger:

What still needs to be done?

I bought CMSF back the day it came out and have yet to play a scenario... I mean literally not even 2 minutes...

Too damn busy sadly. Someday I'll have time and I'm hoping it will coincide with some near perfect patch. Will it be 1.06? 1.07?

Maybe I'll have time this weekend... smile.gif

Javaslinger

Well there's about 30+ things on my To Do list for it (and no I'm not giving you a copy of it smile.gif ).

These are things that I raise with every version. Some make it in, some are deferred, some get a "you have to be joking, do you know how much code that would require ..." type responses.

Most of the other guys have their own lists too.

Its all part of value adding, not just fixing things that don't work, to make the simulation "better" / more accurate.

The first notable improvements I've noticed are that squads stick together better and foliage seems to provide better concealment. The concealment issue is particularly pleasing, and it feels more like CM1 in that respect. Before 1.06 I was frequently surprised by how many trees units were spotting and firing through. Now it seems "right."

Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

One of the biggest things people are going to notice is the amount of cover buildings now give. It will take much more to take out a squad in a building without going in and getting them. That and the vehicle retreat logic.

The Vehicle retreat routines are great , stryker's see a tank and its pop smoke and back behind a building or drop back into a hollow in the ground ,no more sitting there going Duuuhh whaa happenin :D

Love the 106 patch... the pop up menu (shift key) is really nice. :D

Some mods may cause the game to hang up with this message "CMSF has encountered a problem and needs to close..." :eek:

When I deleted my Z file the problem went away.

I am slowly adding the old mods to find out which mod has a conflict. So far I have added most of my old mods with no problem. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Stingray:

Love the 106 patch... the pop up menu (shift key) is really nice. :D

Some mods may cause the game to hang up with this message "CMSF has encountered a problem and needs to close..." :eek:

When I deleted my Z file the problem went away.

I am slowly adding the old mods to find out which mod has a conflict. So far I have added most of my old mods with no problem. tongue.gif

interesting...

its possible someone (like you ;) ) may want to post that to the tech support forum with a new thread about mod issues and crashing...

(maybe)

Tom,

He already has.

Initial Tech Support post:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000555

Subsequent post in this forum:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=003740

Now he has here (no doubt just to make people aware of the issue who don't look at other threads) now appears to be working his way through his mods as I suggested to him.

[ February 04, 2008, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Another nice new feature is being able to give the "hide" order while units are still moving, and having them hide after they arrive at their destination. It sounds small, but it greatly cuts down on the need for micromanaging in RT, and is even more important in WEGO.

Overall, I'm very very pleased with 1.06. Many small improvements with a collectively large impact.

Top item on my wish list for 1.07:

-- Dynamic enemy AI which calls in artillery fire. --

whoa... the 1.06 patch really rocks...

whole different game now...

Units/squads now fire more quickly and accurately at threats and retreat to better positions.

Buildings are handled just about right.. they provide some cover ... but that cover doesn't last forever.

CMSF is finally the fun game we have all been waiting for.

Congrats Battlefront!

Originally posted by DzrtFox:

Now THIS is what I bought this game to play. GREAT job guys!!!

My thoughts exactly, this is what I wanted to start with for CMSF. It's unfortunate that it had to come out without all these items addressed, but I just played a thoroughly enjoyable, all-infantry, MOUT-centric WEGO game and felt like it was all fun (I had been playing RT and not MOUT because I always felt like I'd need to tweak behavior mid-move, but not now!).

Squads did all sorts of great things with path finding, room entry, weapon use, spotting... it was fantastic :D

Now on to the wishlists! ;)

Thanks for the commitment to fixing the problems with CMSF Battlefront; between you and Stardock I can count on awesome games with superb post-release support.

Finally, the not so long wait is over and it's up and running on my computer. I playtested a couple of my own scenarios to see how bad the performance hit would be and, to my surprise, the scenarios ran even more smoothly. FPS never dropped below 6fps even in the midst of a large firefight. I seem to be getting better fps overall with 1.06 which is an extremely nice surprise. I suspect it's because fewer units can see things and fewer units are firing.

I'm going to have to redesign some of my situations because units can no longer see and fire through the ground. The Red resupply option looks really good, they even get some RPG rounds. I'm looking forward to playing around with this more. The TAC AI seems to be performing even better, my BMP-2s are firing their AT-5s at tanks instead of using their cannons, very nice. So far, I haven't seen any split squads either. Tomorrow, I'll try out some night actions to see how that's improved.

Overall, my first impression is that this game ROCKS! Thanks for all your good work guys.

ps. agree with Rokossovski, I want to see the AI artillery system improved in 1.07.

I think the popping smoke killing troops bug may be back but I'm not sure. I've played one scenario and several troops with their heads sticking out of the Stryker hatches have been casualties. I witnessed it happen one time just as the Stryker popped smoke, but there were several enemy snipers in the scenario, although the range was about 500 meters and the enemy should have been pretty well suppressed by arty by that point.