First follow up Module

Holo

Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

Once Germany is done Canada will follow according to Steve.

Once you model the US and Germany and USMC you have most everything Canada uses and I am sure BFC will fill in the gaps.

I have also read that late last year Canada was has either purchased or is going to purchase some plain vanilla strikers, true or not true?

Canada wanted to acquire the Stryker (MGS) to replace the Leopard C2 tanks :mad: , but none have been delivered so far, which is why the tanks are being dusted off and sent to Afghanistan. The current main IFV is the LAV III. AFAIK, Canada is not planning to acquire other Stryker variants.

Any chance, we may get an OPFOR module with Iranian troops? or would that be too difficult.

[ September 27, 2006, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Sgt.Joch ]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Don't know whether any of you saw it or not, but CNN reported yesterday that the French force in Lebanon is bringing LeClerc MBTs with it, presumably along with other AFVs. This was news to me and opens up even more possibilities for grog agitation.

Regards,

John Kettler

Probably the AMX-10 which is quite possibly the worst APC I have ever had to ride in :(

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Don't know whether any of you saw it or not, but CNN reported yesterday that the French force in Lebanon is bringing LeClerc MBTs with it, presumably along with other AFVs. This was news to me and opens up even more possibilities for grog agitation.

Regards,

John Kettler

Lelercs are there already, and ready for winter! tongue.gif

31181737.jpg

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Though I haven't given it much thought and I don't expect to have an affect on their decision, I'd vote to get the Canadians in there somewhere. Turreted LAV IIIS, LAV Bisons, and apparently Leopard Is are back in the inventory too.

Poor Canada gets no respect, though they seem end up in every hot spot out there. The reason why the U.S. purchased the Stryker was because they were jealous watching Canadian LAVs spearheading the march into Bosnia.

As pointed out in the other thread, the MGS was scheduled to replace the Leopards; interestingly a squadron of MBTs is now in Afghanistan as the generals seem to think the Taliban is digging in for a conventional fight. Hope they're right.

The Nyalas had to have been the fastest vehicle procurement in Canadian Army history; we used the M135 "Deuce and a half" truck from 1955 to 1982, for example, then the M35 replaced it from 1982 to present (the wheels were so rusty by 2001 there was a brief ban on using them to transport troops until the fleet of 2700 trucks was fixed). The M35 (MLVW, as we call it) are now so old they cannot go to Afghanistan (no way to armour them anyway) and the trials for a replacement continue, 24 years and counting since we bought them. The point? The Nyala was procured in months, and delivered straight to theatre. Must have cost some money, and may have taken money from such projects as mounting our armoured corps totally on wheels.

We are also using new howitzers in Afghanistan, and yet rely on US tactical air power since our CF-18s are ready to be scrapped. A strange mix of procurement priorities; I am sure when we do get new trucks, they will be done with the "Canada only" policy firmly in mind. The rare common sense it took to buy South African Nyalas off the shelf is not likely to be repeated, I think.

I would love, however, to see the Milverado modelled in CM. smile.gif

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

Though I haven't given it much thought and I don't expect to have an affect on their decision, I'd vote to get the Canadians in there somewhere. Turreted LAV IIIS, LAV Bisons, and apparently Leopard Is are back in the inventory too.

Poor Canada gets no respect, though they seem end up in every hot spot out there. The reason why the U.S. purchased the Stryker was because they were jealous watching Canadian LAVs spearheading the march into Bosnia.

As pointed out in the other thread, the MGS was scheduled to replace the Leopards; interestingly a squadron of MBTs is now in Afghanistan as the generals seem to think the Taliban is digging in for a conventional fight. Hope they're right.

The Nyalas had to have been the fastest vehicle procurement in Canadian Army history; we used the M135 "Deuce and a half" truck from 1955 to 1982, for example, then the M35 replaced it from 1982 to present (the wheels were so rusty by 2001 there was a brief ban on using them to transport troops until the fleet of 2700 trucks was fixed). The M35 (MLVW, as we call it) are now so old they cannot go to Afghanistan (no way to armour them anyway) and the trials for a replacement continue, 24 years and counting since we bought them. The point? The Nyala was procured in months, and delivered straight to theatre. Must have cost some money, and may have taken money from such projects as mounting our armoured corps totally on wheels.

We are also using new howitzers in Afghanistan, and yet rely on US tactical air power since our CF-18s are ready to be scrapped. A strange mix of procurement priorities; I am sure when we do get new trucks, they will be done with the "Canada only" policy firmly in mind. The rare common sense it took to buy South African Nyalas off the shelf is not likely to be repeated, I think.

I would love, however, to see the Milverado modelled in CM. smile.gif </font>

Canadians were also developing a "Multi-Mission Effects Vehicle" which start as just the ADATs turret on a LAVIII chassis but they started adding more and more to it ("Low cost Precision Kill" and Hellfire missiles). Looks like costs got out of control and they're finally going to scrap the project. Would have been interesting but I doubt it'd be worth the money. The Stryker MGS, LAV TOW Under-Armour and LAV MMEV were together replace the Leopard. The CF recommended to cancel the MGS purchase. I Don't think anyone knows what the plan is now.

Milverado in CM? So that would be a truck with a green texture on it? I think an LSVW would be better. But would definitely have to include the squeaky brakes and inability to climb hills. :D

Originally posted by Carbon-14:

Milverado in CM? So that would be a truck with a green texture on it? I think an LSVW would be better. But would definitely have to include the squeaky brakes and inability to climb hills. :D

I'd love to see Madmatt do the sound files for that one, now that you mention it. Gotta include that funky vapour lock problem, too - and the ability for the enemy to hit the kill switch mounted on the outside of the vehicle. And the cargo compartment in which carbon-monoxide fumes can kill your troops. And the exploding battery compartment. Or the guillotine-mounted spare tire carrier.

Actually, it was fun to have the LSVW in Operation Flashpoint. You couldn't hear the brakes in it, but it was fun to shoot them up with a C6, since so many people have been tempted to do the same in real life. smile.gif

I don't expect to see the RG-31 make it into CMSF. Partly because I doubt they're integral to a Stryker Brigade (yeh yeh, I know more modules to come), but mostly because I doubt good scale plans of the thing can be scrounged in time to produce a game vehicle! Poor BFC had enough trouble producing Stryker polygons from limited available plans. They probably don't want to repeat the experience :rolleyes:

Hey BFC, if you want all flavors of Marine LAV scale plans give me a holler and what's mine (by copyright) is yours.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'd love to see Madmatt do the sound files for that one, now that you mention it. Gotta include that funky vapour lock problem, too - and the ability for the enemy to hit the kill switch mounted on the outside of the vehicle. And the cargo compartment in which carbon-monoxide fumes can kill your troops. And the exploding battery compartment. Or the guillotine-mounted spare tire carrier.

Actually, it was fun to have the LSVW in Operation Flashpoint. You couldn't hear the brakes in it, but it was fun to shoot them up with a C6, since so many people have been tempted to do the same in real life. smile.gif

And don't forget the improvised smoke screen from the Fuel-fired coolant heater! I remember reading it was voted the most disliked piece of equipment in the CF.

Yes Operation Northstar was a fantasic mod! I feel like reinstalling it now.

(BTW its not really a kill switch on the LS, if you turn if off while the vehicles running it won't shut off the veh, just disconnects the batteries)

M. Dorosh. Oh ouch - LAV III, eh?

An old buddy of mine George Bradford, who edits the journal "AFV News" (and is a fellow Canadian) was working a few months ago to complete Canadian LAV III scale drawings. I don't know if he completed them. You can try contacting him through his website and asking him if the LAV III drawings ever got done successfully. His email link's at the bottom of the web page. He won't bite, I promise.

AFV News Website

M. Dorosh. Oh ouch - LAV III, eh?

An old buddy of mine George Bradford, who edits the journal "AFV News" (and is a fellow Canadian) was working a few months ago to complete Canadian LAV III scale drawings. I don't know if he completed them. You can try contacting him through his website and asking him if the LAV III drawings ever got done successfully. His email link's at the bottom of the web page. He won't bite, I promise.

AFV News Website

I've talked to George before - his Leopard drawings are in the LEOPARD IN CANADIAN SERVICE book as I recall. I've been to his site also. I wouldn't want to pester him for a freebie though since my project may have commercial applications...I can probably find something suitable on google, just thought you might be shopping some talent of yours around. :D

Originally posted by Carbon-14:

(BTW its not really a kill switch on the LS, if you turn if off while the vehicles running it won't shut off the veh, just disconnects the batteries)

It's been so long since I've been in one I probably wouldn't even remember how to start the silly thing much less kill it on someone. The coolant heater was indeed as scary as the rest of that Italian piece of junk.

I'd go for the Israeli wars back before Lebanon. I figure any war more than 30 years old could be considered politically neutral (or at least less of a hot potato). '67 war, '73 war - M60s, M48s, Centurions, Super Shermans, AMX-13s, T54s, etc., etc. Wouldn't expect the whole thing to be provided as a 'module' of course, but as a stand-alone game.

Again, I have no illusions about ever seeing this game. Once CMSF is finally released, and the WWII game done, and CM Space Lobsters on the store shelves with added modules sprinkled in among 'em, the polar ice caps would've melted and the Eastern Seaboard flooded by then. The chance of seeing an Israeli War game would therefore be slight.

I'd go for the Israeli wars back before Lebanon. I figure any war more than 30 years old could be considered politically neutral (or at least less of a hot potato). '67 war, '73 war - M60s, M48s, Centurions, Super Shermans, AMX-13s, T54s, etc., etc. Wouldn't expect the whole thing to be provided as a 'module' of course, but as a stand-alone game.

Snip

I'd have to agree

the point where I became hopelessly addicted to wargaming

was a very minor Victory in AH's Arab/Israeli Wars about 25 years ago

and the Best drug for that addiction has been CM

rudel.dietrich,

So, CNN's a little slow on its reporting, eh? As for the paint scheme, while I understand the why, there's something unnatural about tanks and AFVs which stand out like that. Frankly, it reminds me of science fiction wargaming miniature conversions I've seen. There, painting agrav vehicles electric blue and laser tanks white is "normal."

Regards,

John Kettler

To answer some questions back on page one...

The Dutch are almost a "freebie" once we have German equipment in the game since they use a mix of US and German stuff. Canadians are pretty much freebies. Aussies shouldn't be terribly difficult to do either since they too use a mix of US and European stuff.

The French, on the other hand, use all unique stuff. It would be quite a task to get all that stuff in and once in it would only pertain to France (at least within our scope). If I were to do another ground up force, after the Brits, would be the Italians. They are an up-and-comer in foreign involvement. Their stuff is also pretty damned good from what I can tell. Not saying the French wouldn't be interesting to get in there too, it's just unlikely that by the time we get done with the 3rd Module that we'll be in a position to do either. But heck, who knows... maybe something can be worked out.

As for Brits before Germans... honestly, I could be swayed either way. However, I know where the bulk of our European orders come from and let's just say that place is a funny little island where they all speak with silly accents and worship some old woman who has way, way too much money. Oh, and they are "silly gits" who are obsessed with some woman's car accident in France, for some reason. I know I haven't given you any solid clues to go on, but I think you lads are smart enough to figure out I'm not talking about Malta ;)

Steve

rudel.dietrich said

Not sure why Britian would come first unless it is just preference
?

Cos we're still allowed to fight wars on foreign soil!!

German equipment, while interesting has limited combat reality other than with the Dutch. The German constitution means the Budenswehr is a white elephant in combat terms. I don't know how many of us would buy CM-PeaceKeeper...

Obviously the British Army...

But, French as a close second. The very fact that their equipment is different (90mm armoured cars et al) would be interesting, whereas for UK and US, the gear fills much of the same "space" (Abrams=Challenger, Warrior=Bradley etc)

Must admit bias against modern tactical wargames - due to the "one shot, one kill" nature, anything that gets seen gets killed, then whatever did the killing gets seen and killed in return...