Bring back right-click please!!!

Alright, I've said my piece in this thread. And I know there are people that agree with me, most likely including the, uh, developers of the game. Anyway, I hope you guys get your silly little feature so you can triple or quadruple your mouse actions, and maybe get carpel tunnel or something.

Good luck.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ryan Crierie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tzen:

The point is, CMSF is a 3D RTS+pause/WeGo game that has a camera that moves and rotates on all axes and is at the individual unit level. Just because a right-click menu works well in TOAW doesn't mean it will in CMSF.

Funny how it worked so well in CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK; and how everyone in this thread except YOU wants it back. </font>

Put me down for another vote for right click menu. They could even put the current right button functionality into the middle mouse button as that doesn't seem to be used.

I never used the menus in CM1 games - keyboard shortcuts all the way.

So did I, but now they keep changing which is a real PITA.

Originally posted by Exel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tzen:

I don't recall any (decent) strategy games other than CMx1 that even use a right-click menu for commands. RTS or turn-based.

Close Combat.

Most RTS games these days use right-click (or left- depending on player preference) for unit movement. What little special commands they have are all visible in the UI at the same time, not hidden into sub-tabs.

CMx2 does neither. No context menu for easy access to commands, and no fast movement orders either. The mouse buttons are wasted on camera controls. The game has attempted to reinvent the wheel, and unfortunately with appalling results.

Here's how it should work: Left-click to select a unit, left click and drag to lasso multiple units, left click on terrain to deselect. Right-click on unit for a command context menu. Right-click on terrain to issue a move order, hold and drag to order facing. </font>

Originally posted by LuckyStrike:

Tzen you just lost me with the click then hit T then click then I then click then K then click again. What?

Bring back right click menus please.

Agreed. Right now you have to:

</font>

• Click a unit to select it</font>
  • Cycle or click orders tabs to get to your command</font>
  • Press the key / hit the button for the order</font>
  • Move the mouse to where the order should be</font>
  • Click again to give the order</font>
  • Right-click to stop giving certain orders</font>

We are proposing:
</font>
  • Click a unit to select it</font>
  • Move the mouse to where the order should be</font>
  • Right-click to bring up menu</font>
  • Move mouse to select order</font>
  • Click to give order</font>

The top is slightly more efficient for stringing together multiple movement orders for a single unit, but for some of us loses that efficiency in the 2nd and 3rd steps. Plus it's prone to error; I keep forgetting the last step and giving extra waypoints to my units when I try and click on a different one to start giving it orders.

Originally posted by Tzen:

Okay, I agree that you should be able to click and drag to set the facing direction, but that's about it.

CMSF gives the player many different types of movement. Most other RTS games have a generic move order and then maybe like an attack-move order.

Having a quick move order with right-click doesn't exclude the availability of other move commands. You could still command special movement (slow, fast, hunt, reverse, etc. etc.) from the mouse context menu, but the point is you could access SOME movement command QUICKLY. In WeGo mode this is not as crucial because you have time to use any menus you need, but in RT mode you have to order the movement NOW and not in 2 seconds (when your unit will be dead already).

The system Pinetree suggested would be a huge improvement over the current one: it would enable the mouse context menu while still keeping the orders grouped to "tab" so as to not keep the menu too cluttered. Just do it with mouse-over hot-zones instead having to click each sub-menu open...

While I think they can fix or even improve AI in next patches, I can't imagine BFC bring us back the good old UI with new buttons graphics and menus ; that makes too much difference with the actual manual!

But, while we can get used of it ,actual UI is obviously not in any way better than right click menu : no need to move cursor right down in the screen then choose commands, then proceed again.

Moreover, except for beta testers ;) , almost all posters here prefer right click menu.

[ July 30, 2007, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Darkmath ]

no right click is damn retarded, its quite clearly a mistake having the byzantine keyboard system/mouse camara system.

i just can't see who thought, "hey my complaint about CM was it was too damn easy to control and command units!

i want to half battle the confusing way you give commands! along with the AI"

(tho it does give the AI a chance...)

yes its quite clearly a advantage (upgrade) of clicking move, then going on map with mouse, and to click the point to move to, (then seeing a target) to click the other commands panel to click target, then to go to the map and select the target AND THEN! to quickly selecting the movement panel (wtf is up with this insanity!) to stop your prized assent from driving to its death!

if you can't spot the sarcasm there then you don't deserve too!