Bring back right-click please!!!

Please bring back right-click ordering. That was the best part of CM games. It just makes this complex game playable. I hate using hot keys.

Right now if you right-click, it unselects a unit. Why not just left click on the unit again to unselect it? This would free up right click

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote for this. I loved the right click order menus. Group select units with a drawn box and right click any unit to get the orders menu...incredibly great UI feature! Unless it's just impossible to implement within CMx2 engine for some reason, please bring it back.

No.

Fix all the real problems first: screwed up keyboard input, LOD, etc.

Then add stuff that is really important: WeGo TCP/IP, better pathing/AI, etc.

Then, lastly, spend the time and energy to add a worthless, inefficient menu system for people too stubborn to realize that simply pressing two (and sometimes only one) keys is laughably better than right-clicking + moving the mouse and clicking on the main menu option + moving the mouse again and clicking the sub-menu option. Do the math, people.

It's really not needed. Of course, more options for the player is always better, but considering the current state the game is in this thread is ridiculously pointless. I don't want the devs distracted by trivial things.

Edit: Also, I don't recall any (decent) strategy games other than CMx1 that even use a right-click menu for commands. RTS or turn-based.

s317_TOAW3_shot2.jpg

LOL. Look at TOAW and then look at CMSF. Then look at TOAW again, just for a laugh. And then look back at CMSF yet again, and fall on the floor in hysterics.

I think the only thing they share in common is that they involve, uh, war.

Of course, you also think that a right-click menu would make CMSF "massively better." Not just better. Massively better. Yeah.

I haven't played TOAW but I would hope that the single greatest feature of it would be the, uh, gameplay.

Originally posted by Tzen:

I don't recall any (decent) strategy games other than CMx1 that even use a right-click menu for commands. RTS or turn-based.

Close Combat.

Most RTS games these days use right-click (or left- depending on player preference) for unit movement. What little special commands they have are all visible in the UI at the same time, not hidden into sub-tabs.

CMx2 does neither. No context menu for easy access to commands, and no fast movement orders either. The mouse buttons are wasted on camera controls. The game has attempted to reinvent the wheel, and unfortunately with appalling results.

Here's how it should work: Left-click to select a unit, left click and drag to lasso multiple units, left click on terrain to deselect. Right-click on unit for a command context menu. Right-click on terrain to issue a move order, hold and drag to order facing.

LOL. Look at TOAW and then look at CMSF. Then look at TOAW again, just for a laugh. And then look back at CMSF yet again, and fall on the floor in hysterics.

Thank you for your clear inciseful insight on what should constitute a wargame. You may proceed to the Suicide Booth.

Originally posted by Ryan Crierie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tzen:

Thank you for your clear inciseful insight on what should constitute a wargame. You may proceed to the Suicide Booth. </font>

The point is, CMSF is a 3D RTS+pause/WeGo game that has a camera that moves and rotates on all axes and is at the individual unit level. Just because a right-click menu works well in TOAW doesn't mean it will in CMSF.

Funny how it worked so well in CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK; and how everyone in this thread except YOU wants it back.

Originally posted by Exel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tzen:

I don't recall any (decent) strategy games other than CMx1 that even use a right-click menu for commands. RTS or turn-based.

Close Combat.

Most RTS games these days use right-click (or left- depending on player preference) for unit movement. What little special commands they have are all visible in the UI at the same time, not hidden into sub-tabs.

CMx2 does neither. No context menu for easy access to commands, and no fast movement orders either. The mouse buttons are wasted on camera controls. The game has attempted to reinvent the wheel, and unfortunately with appalling results.

Here's how it should work: Left-click to select a unit, left click and drag to lasso multiple units, left click on terrain to deselect. Right-click on unit for a command context menu. Right-click on terrain to issue a move order, hold and drag to order facing. </font>