Update on v1.03 status

Hi all!

Here is a quick update on the progress of v1.03 patch. We wanted to release it to you today so you could grab it for the weekend. However, we weren't quite ready and therefore are taking the weekend to double check everything. It should be available by mid next week for both Battlefront and Paradox customers. What does it include?

* All PBEM issues that we know of fixed

* Fixes to all known LOS issues

* Fixes to all known pathing issues except one (certain Squad only behavior with particular types of buildings)

* Changes to the way terrain is drawn to offer better look and speed options, depending on settings

* Stuck unit problem fixed

* Hopping soldier problem fixed

* Show All Moves feature added

* Option to have CM run in Normal Priority instead of High Priority. Helps with some USB devices. It's one of those things... if you don't have a problem you want to keep it on High because you get better framerates, but if you do have problems knock it down to Normal.

* lots of smaller issues fixed as well

Now, we're not about to say that v1.03 makes everything in CM:SF perfect since we fully expect that there are still some issues to address for v1.04 and beyond. CM:SF is an incredibly complex, detailed environment with thousands of things that could possibly go wrong at any given second. We never completely fixed all problems in CMx1 even after 3 active years of development post CMBO v1.0, so we would be rather foolish to say that 4 weeks post release of CM:SF that everything is taken care of. What we can say is that the major issues that have been bothering you guys have been fundamentally addressed and we'll continue to fix things even after v1.03 is released.

One thing you don't see above is a fix for nVidia 8800 (and other) cards. After waiting for nearly 4 weeks Charles' brand new system arrived yesterday with Vista, AMD Athlon, and nVidia 8800 installed. He fired it up today and guess what? Great framerates. This is not what we expected nor what we wanted to see since we know for sure some of you guys are having difficulties with your cards. Unfortunately, until we can isolate what combo of things is causing the problem with framerates we're not going to be able to fix it. Therefore, we're spending the weekend trying to break Charles' brand new computer smile.gif I've started a new thread in the Tech Support Forum to try and help us further narrow things down.

Since there are so many other fundamental fixes, we will not hold up v1.03 for the nVidia issue. Please understand that doesn't mean we are ignoring it. Quite the contrary, it is now our main focus and as soon as we find a fix we'll get it out to you right away.

Thanks!

Steve

[ August 24, 2007, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your tireless devotion to solving the games' issues. I can't help but think it's like the first production run of the XKE Jaguar (1966?). Beautiful design, fantastic stats, and in the repair shops all day long. But the Jaguar engineers persevered and today it is a classic of automobile design. Wish the same for your baby.

Scenarios will never break (even if it means ugly code that you don't see), however PBEM games in progress won't work and neither will save games. This is a standard issue with patches, which is one reason why we don't put out patches every few days for fairly minor gains.

Piecekeeper,

Yes, I think so. I forgot to include that one in my list above so I'll edit it in. There is now an option to change the Priority setting from High to Normal. If not, then you should check out the fix suggestions in the link at the bottom of my post.

Other Means,

Er... what specifically do you mean?

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

One thing you don't see above is a fix for nVidia 8800 (and other) cards. After waiting for nearly 4 weeks Charles' brand new system arrived yesterday with Vista, AMD Athlon, and nVidia 8800 installed. He fired it up today and guess what? Great framerates. This is not what we expected nor what we wanted to see since we know for sure some of you guys are having difficulties with your cards. Unfortunately, until we can isolate what combo of things is causing the problem with framerates we're not going to be able to fix it. Therefore, we're spending the weekend trying to break Charles' brand new computer smile.gif I've started a new thread in the Tech Support Forum to try and help us further narrow things down.

Since there are so many other fundamental fixes, we will not hold up v1.03 for the nVidia issue. Please understand that doesn't mean we are ignoring it. Quite the contrary, it is now our main focus and as soon as we find a fix we'll get it out to you right away.

Thanks!

Steve

Well, then perhaps this is a potentially good thing. I have seen cases where external issues can interfere with otherwise perfectly operating hardware. And these problems often have commonality across multiple users/computers.

For instance, in the earliest days of my computer-building life, I slapped together a K6 500 MHX AMD system as my first home-built. Everything seemed fine at first until I started getting Blue Screens (of death) somewhat randomly - But especially when I was gaming or doing some other intensive process. After spending weeks unsuccessfully troubleshooting the problem, I ran across a few forums on-line who had posters who had exactly the same problem and EXACTLY THE SAME MOTHERBOARD ( FIC motherboard...don't get me started).

Well, eventually, I tried lowering my memory bus rate to 66 MHZ (I was using PC-100 memory). Lo and behold! The problem completely disappeared. So i posted my solution....

That ended up fixing about 20 other computers including 2 in the UK. Sure the system took somewhat of a performance hit, but at least the damn thing was stable. Turns out the craptastic MB would only support a handful of memory sticks in true PC-100 configuration. First International Computers has since done the world a favor and ceased to spew it's garbage into the retail market.

I'm not saying my above example is the reason why users are getting poor performance from 8800 series, but it's worth investigating. Are there any 8800 users who could post there experience with a completely fresh Windows install and then running CMSF?

SlapHappy -- holy crap, I owned an FIC motherboard too. It lives on in my six-year-old's desktop. I had massive numbers of problems with it, also with memory and crashing. Took me about a year of casual debugging to narrow it down. Neat, eh? That was about seven years ago.

Second the "thanks for your responsiveness" comment, BFC. Cheers.

Guys... remember, there are x minutes in a day, and each problem takes a certain number of minutes to fix, tweak, or add. The longer we spend trying to pack things into this one patch the longer you have to wait for things that are already fixed. We fixed the most important things first and we'll continue to fix, tweak, and add things as we go along. v1.03 is not the last patch we're making.

Steve

When prioritizing things to fix we focus first on two sets of problems:

1. Things that prevent someone from playing the game at all or to an acceptable degree. An example from v1.02 was the ATI click problem that prevented some ATI users from playing the game.

2. Things that affect all people's enjoyment either all the time or most of the time. An example from v1.03 is LOS and pathing problems.

As of version 1.03 almost all of these types of issues will be mostly, if not completely, out of the way. This means we can spend time looking at things that have less impact on the basic game experience. QBs are one of those things.

Why is something like QBs of "lesser" importance than pathfinding? Because no matter how you play the game, WeGo, RT, PBEM, TCP/IP, Campaign, stand alone Scenarios, etc. path finding problems crop up. That covers EVERYBODY. The only time QB problems crop up is when you play a QB that triggers the specific problem. That covers less than everybody. Someone who never plays QBs will not notice an improvement to QBs, but they will notice the lack of improvement in pathing.

Steve