Update on v1.03 status

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

... however PBEM games in progress won't work and neither will save games. This is a standard issue with patches ...

Steve

Steve, are you sure about the saved games? I had no problems with them after updating from 1.01 to 1.02! I just ask before I continue with the campaign...

[ August 26, 2007, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: Leopard2 ]

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Leopard2:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wolf66:

... I'm sorry but this behaviour just kills any scenarios with tanks on the syrian side when up against M1s ...

I have completed this scenario in my second attempt playing as Syrian with a total victory, all US vehicels destroyed, and with difficulty set to elite. With all respect, but I think the problem is on your side. </font>

Originally posted by thewood:

I agree, what are the Syrians saving their AP for. If that was SOP, why even load APFSDS rounds.

Not all of Syria's potential enemies have Abrams tanks, and I imagine the APFSDS goes through a Bradley or a Stryker pretty well.

Anyway, if you were a tanker, wouldn't you want to bring along your AP rounds even if you knew they wouldn't be effective against the best the enemy has?

Originally posted by Martyr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thewood:

I agree, what are the Syrians saving their AP for. If that was SOP, why even load APFSDS rounds.

Not all of Syria's potential enemies have Abrams tanks, and I imagine the APFSDS goes through a Bradley or a Stryker pretty well.

Anyway, if you were a tanker, wouldn't you want to bring along your AP rounds even if you knew they wouldn't be effective against the best the enemy has? </font>

Originally posted by wolf66:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Martyr:

Anyway, if you were a tanker, wouldn't you want to bring along your AP rounds even if you knew they wouldn't be effective against the best the enemy has? </font>

Originally posted by Martyr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wolf66:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Martyr:

Whatever they are firing I just lost an M1 to a T55 at over 1000 meters from a right front hit. Interesting.

Wow, that is interesting. I believe this is technically possible if 100mm APFSDS hit the drivers hatch area, turret ring, tiny gap between the turret and gun mantlet, or perhaps by passing through through the front roadwheel and into the hull side at an oblique angle. Could have also taken out the cupola, killing the TC and setting off the fire extinguishers causing the crew to abandon. What were the casualties like?

I think two of the crew bailed out. The tank was a Cat. Kill.

I thought at first that something snuck up on his flank but it was definitely a front hit. The impact was right front of the hull but face on to the turret as the M1 had just finished killing the guy's buddy and was aiming at the guy who killed him. The tracer came in over the fender. Not sure how accurate the graphical representation is as far as point of impact but it appeared to be upper hull or lower turret so I may have been one of those dream shots into the turret ring.

It is almost impossible to keep track of ammo now. The replay starts at the last known level of ammo, so you can can't tell what was fired during the execution of the turn unless you use paper and pen and follow just one tank. A slight step backwards.

It's hard to keep track of anything now. I had an M1 hit during the demo mission and I think the driver was killed as the tank stopped for about a second. Then the TC status dissappeared and the driver was back and the tank finished its move. I watched the replay to try to see who exactly got hit but the crew status never changed back from their end of turn results.

If the TC did switch with the driver then he is freaking Rambo to carry out the change in under 5 seconds while under fire.

I had an M1 hit during the demo mission and I think the driver was killed as the tank stopped for about a second. Then the TC status dissappeared and the driver was back and the tank finished its move.
Also interesting! Sounds like this is abstracted. In order to move from the turret crew area into the driver position you must rotate the turret around to a very vulnerable position. You can't get in from the turret while it's facing forward. Unless of course they've redesigned the turrent since GW1...

steve,

I agree that against the frontal armor, the sabot rounds the syrians have are hopeless. But I saw them firing HE at the sides and rear of an M1. Surely their latest sabot (decent tungsten stuff) must have a chance of penetrating the sides and rear of an M-1. As an example, a T-72 TURMS fired HE at 60 meters in a city fight against the side of an M-1, I find that a bit strange, the round didnt penetrate BTW

Just to clarify, I am officially complaining about losing track of crew and ammo in replays. Hopefully can be changed.

Right there with ya on this one.

Mord.

Good discussion, but I wish it was in its own thread and not this one which is about v1.03 in a more general sense. I will say we are looking into the possibility that there is a bug mixed in with the logic that would have HE fired t the flank of an Abrams rather than something designed to penetrate armor.

As for the nVidia problem being fixed in v1.03... we don't know. I'm tending to think "no" at this point because we still haven't got Charles' 8800 card to go FUBAR on the framerate. There has to be some sort of other factor involved other than the card alone. We're looking into other possibilities.

Steve