What will make us buy the Marines module?

Thomm

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Sotoro:

Is every module a standalone game with a new campaign, an expansion pack or some sort of a patch?

And what will we see after the Marines module? I heared something about germans and canadians...

Modules plug into their respective parent title; for example the Marines module could only be used with CMSF. It can't be played without it as it is basically an add on with more weapons and content. It cannot be used with another title. I imagine there will be a campaign included with the extra weapons and equipment.

After the Marines BFC is talking about maybe doing a British Module and then some kind of Coalition type module with German equipment and a couple other countries (can't remember) combined. Do a search on Modules or CMSF modules/addons...that should bring something up.

Mord.

Do you know what would REALLY sell the Marine module? If, along with the cool Marine stuff, they included big overall game enhancements that would be applied across the board. Smoke for artillery, on-board mortars, 120mm cannister round in the Abrams ammo list, anti-IED countermeasures on the Strykers. Heck, how about some significant house-to-house fighting tweaks? Something like that wouldn't 'just' be a module, it would be a cause for celebration! :D

• 5 weeks later...

The only thing that would maybe make me buy any expansion pack is a fully working Quick Battles (allowing the player to purchase forces, and point totals like the early CM games) and more maps.

I hope expansion packs include more that just some new models but also new map objects like ports, airfields, radar/radio/comm centers, power stations, etc. It seems already every other map in SF looks the same!

Originally posted by LT Mike:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Londoner:

I (and most Europeans I suspect) have no interest in a USMC module which just adds LAVs etc, however I will be buying it for the extra Syrian goodies/scenarios etc!

You speak for all Europe?

Awesome </font>

I'm a modeler and a great fan of russian/soviet armor...

Still I'd like to play around with LAVs and AAV7 (and hear some Marine grunts voices!)... but I'm not sure about the impact such vehicles could have on the gameplay...

Think about LAV: same weaknesses of a Stryker, less (? not sure) transport capacity, a turret with 25mm weapon.

Think about AAV7, practically same protection of Strykers (maybe like Brads? Maybe with added armor) a turret with twin .50 cal and 40mm grenades launcher... nasty weapon types but this won't chance tactics or employements.

So this resends to the main problem with modern armor, too much standardization it's difficult to have vehicles so different and so close toghether in terms of weapons and protection in order to get some extreme variety of combat situation between such vehicles.

WW2 is really another thing about this... just think about the T-34 vs PanzerIV duel with all their variants.

Well, not just complaining.

I'll still keep my eyes opened for new vehicles, but especially for OPFOR ones smile.gif

Originally posted by flamingknives:

How would one model specops in a tactical wargame? People keep on calling for it but I don't see how it can realistically be accomplished.

Just keep in mind that Special Ops guys are neither some kind of super Ninja detachment, and, much more to the point, that they're not some kind of shock infantry type affair.

The way they'd be implemented would be more around them stirring up resistance movements, as far as the USSF goes, and as far as the SAS/SBS/SEALS et al go, it'd be more about long-range patrols.

Keep also in mind that the various UK special forces are under direct MoD command, and hence NOT the kind of thing that a general would be likely to command - no idea how similar that is to the system in the US and elsewhere, though.

I think the graphics and some terrain are reasonable.

The other things are what would really make me buy another module. Unless I can get another large non nato force (IE Israelies, Russians or Chinese) a few new units just does not enthuse me to buy another module.

A lot of stuff mentioned are things that are basic functionality rather than additions (QB revisions, TCP/IP wego). I figured why not try to figure out what the marine module will actually expand.

It's pure speculation, but I've always reasoned as they get things coded for the WWII game such as water, it would be easy to add them to a CMSF module. I hope this holds true. That way we could have water by the time we get the Brits next summer. Flamingknives is right though. Even with water no amphibious ops likely even with US Marines.

That's a thought. I wonder how far back they'd be willing to 'revisit' older titles in the future. We had better be careful what we wish for, though. We may find them saying "We were going to include this really cool feature X but since we couldn't backdate it into the older titles we decided to leave it out." :rolleyes:

That's a thought. I wonder how far back they'd be willing to 'revisit' older titles in the future. We had better be careful what we wish for, though. We may find them saying "We were going to include this really cool feature X but since we couldn't backdate it into the older titles we decided to leave it out."
I think it was already decided that if both players don't have the module it would not be included in things like quick battles.

There will be definitely scenarios that are CMSF basic and those with the extra modules.