What will make us buy the Marines module?

Thomm

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by flamingknives:

How would one model specops in a tactical wargame? People keep on calling for it but I don't see how it can realistically be accomplished.

Nothing too elaborate; we already see some of this in the ability of Syrian spies and unconventionals to evade sighting, for instance. I can imagine western SpecOps units that receive similar stealth characteristics--not because they blend into the neighborhood, but because of, well, stealth. This would add some spice to the usual run of missions.

It's not nearly as important as adding to the broader base of vehicles and national armies, however.

Smaragdadler: Cool videos! smile.gif It would be fun to have some battles like that, but WWII comes right after the first CMII modules. So unless the vehicles we might need for a Nato vs Russia battle are included in those modules, it would be pretty hard to have Nato vs Russia in custom battles. Plus, modders would have to add in the correct TO&E's for the infantry units, custom uniforms, etc.

Hmm, it might just be possible, even if we didn't have all the vehicles it would be ideal to have, but it would take some major mod work. smile.gif

Originally posted by Martyr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

How would one model specops in a tactical wargame? People keep on calling for it but I don't see how it can realistically be accomplished.

Nothing too elaborate; we already see some of this in the ability of Syrian spies and unconventionals to evade sighting, for instance. I can imagine western SpecOps units that receive similar stealth characteristics--not because they blend into the neighborhood, but because of, well, stealth. This would add some spice to the usual run of missions.

It's not nearly as important as adding to the broader base of vehicles and national armies, however. </font>

Most talk of modules focuses on the addition of Blue Force units, but I would love to see the gradual accumulation of Red equipment beyond the Syrian TO&E.

I agree with Martyr, Don't forget to add some interesting Red TOE to the modules. Some that come to mind would be Serbian, Iraqi, Taliban, Argentinean (Falklands Anyone? Of Course Britt's would be a must for this one).

And since this has turned into what kind of modules you would like to see thread I'll throw in my .02

US/Vietnam Conflict, Nato/Warsaw Pact, WWII Pacific, WWII Europe (I saved this one for last because I still have CMX1 for this one)....

It's not nearly as important as adding to the broader base of vehicles and national armies, however. </font>

I would agree with Steve. SFs might be interesting but the scale would be very small. Not enough to envision an entire module around.

As for next game: WWII and then Korea. I do not think that this would add too much equipment above the planned 44-45 NW Europe game and it features the USA (good marketing I guess) and they fight commies (more realistic than Fulda Gap - WWIII) and could include a UN force/Chinese module (Go Turks and Canadians). Terrain Tiles could also be re-used from NW Europe to some extent.

Random info regarding the Brits:

The MoD has procured an interim anti-structure munition* in the form of the M72A9, an enhanced blast version of the M72 produced by Talley Defense, who also make the SMAW.

*Grammatically incorrect, as usual. Munition is a verb.

mu·ni·tion

1. Usually, munitions. materials used in war, esp. weapons and ammunition.

2. material or equipment for carrying on any undertaking.

[etc. some of the other definitions I found are verbs, but never the first given definition]

IIRC, the Latin word from which is derives is a verb, meaning to fortify, but in English the word has been in common use as a noun for quite some time.

Originally posted by Lee:

Smaragdadler: Cool videos! smile.gif It would be fun to have some battles like that, but WWII comes right after the first CMII modules. So unless the vehicles we might need for a Nato vs Russia battle are included in those modules, it would be pretty hard to have Nato vs Russia in custom battles. Plus, modders would have to add in the correct TO&E's for the infantry units, custom uniforms, etc.

Hmm, it might just be possible, even if we didn't have all the vehicles it would be ideal to have, but it would take some major mod work. smile.gif

:

Here is the full video in German language:

-> http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5019344230626951787

Ah yes, x many people can't be wrong.

When it comes to language, pretty much; the lexicon of any living language is determined by its usage. If a word gets used often enough for long enough, with a certain meaning, that meaning becomes 'standard'. Of course, there is always the inevitable debate over what consitutes slang and/or substandard form, versus new common usage, but even the most formal "Kings English" is a constantly changing thing.

Don't blame me. I love older english forms. I'm a classically trained actor, and can spout off hundreds of lines of Shakespeare, Marlow, Kidd, and Donne off the top of my head.

But "God gi' godden, fair wench, wouldst thou deliver up to me a good measure of your finest," just gets me funny looks, or worse a slap across the cheek rather than alcohol in bars these days, so I stick to more modern idiom when I'm not onstage. :D

Cheers,

YD

tmp_main_image.jpg

MRP Category I Hummer replacement

QUANTICO, Va. – Impressing upon the urgency to armor the warfighter with more Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles, Marine Corps Systems Command has placed another order for more than 1,000 of these life-saving vehicles. These additional vehicles will help support the increasing requirement for MRAP vehicles in theater with their proven capability to save lives by dramatically improving the current level of mine and improvised explosive device protection with a V-shaped hull and raised chassis.

They have about 701 in theater now of the 3 Categories.

Originally posted by dan/california:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Ah yes, x many people can't be wrong.

We elected Bush, twice. This is absolute proof that a great many people can be be both wrong and pigheaded about staying wrong. :mad: </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Martyr:

I don't think Special Forces strengths would be well represented in CM. They would basically be elite infantry.

Some difference I could see used in CM:

Independant of a command chain. They are their own commanders.

Like Dorosh said, demo skills.

Better snipers.

Higher physical fitness levels.

Ability to call/adjust fire as well as officer units.

The best comms equipment available.

Other than that, I see them being elite infantry in CM terms.