CM:SF WW2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The art of searching is in the search terms. Search for WWII or WW2 written by member number 42 (Steve G.) gives a plenty of threads.

This is from September 2006:

Well, for starters we have zero plans to put in Russia at all, ever. Not that it wouldn't be interesting, nor that we have something against the Russians. It's because there are more possible topics than we plan on doing.

We hope to have the 1st Module out sometime before the WWII version. Our target is 8 months from start to finish. The USMC is significantly different that the US Army, both in terms of equipment and organization.

I've gone over this before, but as it stands right now (which means its just my personal take on things) we will do the following:

1. USMC

2. British

3. German based (this would likely include Germany, Canada, and perhaps The Netherlands)

That's it. Figure 8 months each and you've got yourself nearly 3 years of Modules.

The reason for doing it in this order should be obvious to equipment grogs. #1 is going to be done along side CM:WW2, therefore it makes sense to do something that has the least risk of screwing up the main effort (WW2). Then we will have some breathing room and can afford to do the Brits right. Same for the German based stuff.

No way are we going to do the Brits *and* another major nation all at the same time. It's gotta be one or the other. Sorry, that's our new philosophy for remaining sane and we're sticking to it.

Steve

According to that, work on WW2 will start as soon as work on the Marine Corps module starts. smile.gif

[ April 25, 2007, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Respectfully asking and I'm not trying to know knock on any suggestions, but aren't we all tired of WW2, hasn't it been hacked to death? We should consider the possible conflicts that can erupt now using the knowledge of WW2 as a foundation in that basic principles of war continue into the future. Just tired of the same scenarios, equipment and settings. Let's look at a future war scenario with China or US vs Pakistan after it's been overthrown by fundamentalists. CM:SF can build on what they've done to further model asymetric attacks.

Theoretically after CMSF is put to bed most-all the coding they'll need will already be in place. They'll just have to strip out ATGMs, and precision weapons, and body armor, and grenade launchers, and drone overflights, and efficient battlefield communictions, and reactive armor, and night fighting capabilities, and... hmmm... somehow WWII is sounding less and less fun to play!

Whoa killer, lets not say no more WWII. We still havent fought in Japan!!! Plus I think Battlefront is going to do very well with CM:SF, but by the time they get to CM(WW2), its going to be time to revisit WW2 with the new technology and sell to a new audience. Plus WWII is what made them famous. If you take away thier meat and potatoes, all you have left is the plate. I can see Matt eating a plate though!!! :D

Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

I would not really mind if CM never visited WW2 ever again.

I have fought more battles in Normandy than did the entire Allied side.

But if sales are good then we have a few years of expansion packs for SF to keep us company.

I just cant work up the interest for WW2 land combat anymore

It has been treaded over so much now that I feel been there and done that with every new game

Well almost

I had a blast with Company of Heroes last fall

I still enjoy some WW2 games

I am having a blast with Silent Hunter III and the Grey Wolves Mod

I still enjoy Panther Games series Highway to the Reich/Conquest of the Agenan

Their next game is going to cover the Ardennes 1944

I still remember ordering Red Devils over Arnhem waaay back in the day when Panther was still using Battlefront as a publisher

What ever happened between the two?

There are still also a few areas that have not been covered well enough.

I would love to see a good 2-D turn based game based on the stratigic U-Boat war in which you had to manage all the U-Boats, surface fleets and naval air forces as either the Axis or Allies

That is actualy my dream war game at the moment.

Originally posted by mr.bean:

i would like to see fighting in modern europe, i can just imagine the tanks and troops fighting in huge cities

Dutch Vs Belgians ?

Sweden Vs Norway ?

Germany Vs France ?

what Modern permutation are you seeking ?

because Steve has said NATO Vs CCCP/Warsaw Pact is very Unlikely

I liked GDWs Assault series back in the day. It was platoons and 250m/hex, but it was neat to play with the modern doodads.

As I read some of these threads, one of the turn offs of fictional modern engagements appears. The equipment mix is always changing. New vehicles, new C2 gear, new rifles, new armor technologies and such are always popping up to add a new wrinkle. A game that is missing the latest and greatest can quickly feel obsolete.

CM:SF will have a relatively short shelf life for that reason. The new modules will help of course. BFC will be able to go back and update the existing force mix in the game if they so choose.

WWII on the other hand is a known quantity, familiar and unchanging. It can get dull at times to be retreading the same ground, but it doesn't get obsolete.

Atacms - In order to understand why many wargamers only want to play WW2, you must first remember that a significant portion are on the edge of being OCD - who else could play Adavnced Squad Leader ;) ??? (Yes I played it as well :D ). Thankfully, we have Battlefront, a progressive and forward thinking group, otherwise we would be getting the same game on the same territory every time, with minor improvements.

"Modern Asimetric Wars = Bored"

I'm not too sure what the 'qualitative' difference would be between wargaming with a fifteen year old sneaker-wearing jihadist with an AK and a fifteen year old conscript Hitler Youth with a Mauser. Except the Jihadist has the better weapon and the Hitler Youth has the cooler uniform. Oh yeh, and the jihadist's Nokia celphone would give him infinitely better battlefield communications! 1945 or 2008, they'd both have to contend with the full brunt of the U.S. Army facing them.

Agreed. I have been doing quite a bit of research for making scenarios for Strategic Command 2 and it is amazing how much attention people pay to such very narrow portions of the war. Just finding detailed information on Italy can be tough because everything seems to focus on the Ardennes, D-Day, and Market Garden.

There is so many incredible stories and information out there that are often ignored because they don't come from a "sexy" front or battle.