CM:SF WW2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CMBB/CMAK The best WW11 games to date,(But)

My only disappointment with these two games is the fact that they are both stand alone. When CMAK was released with its enhancements to the game engine etc.it would have been nice if it had been accompanied with a "patch" for CMBB to update that game so that component parts were interchangeable between the two games - ideally CMAK would have just been an "expansion" for CMBB with enhancements to the game engine and scope of the game.. I realise that there were probably reasons/constraints why it did not happen that way, but nevertheless...

So I hope that with the coming planned Modules that they be integrated into the main game so that for example if I wanted to I could include MC units into a scenario from the original CMSF. (WW11 modules not necessarialy being compatible with those from CMSF, though this might give scope for some really asymmetrical scenarios.)

Not so much as a complaint as more of a little niggle.

David

Originally posted by Sequoia:

I agree there's been a glut of WWII FPS and RTS games but no one else did WWII the way Battlefront did it.

I definitely agree with this. What separates most WW2 simulations from mainstream, I think, is the choice in choosing sides. For example, there are plenty of FPS clones out there where you play as a U.S. soldier in Western Europe. And then there is Call of Duty, I.E. U.S., U.K., and U.S.S.R., and even then they don't even scratch the surface of the hundreds of battles fought in WW2. That has been done to death and developers claim they can't think of anything else to make. Well, here's a thought, make a perspective from the GERMAN side (or any one of their allies). Apparently developers think that if you can't 'win' in the end, the game can't be enjoyable.

That's why I enjoy games like CM, since you can play as many different nations. IL-2 is also another great simulation that does not limit flying campaigns from one perspective, and rather has a multitude of nations and their various planes to fly. The players skill and strategy will dictate whether their soldiers survive in the end.

WW II or nothing!

If you fight a realistic all out modern battle like Europe it is airpower that decides the battle not ground warfare and if one side gets too far down it's just nuke time. I don't see much fun in watching a A-10's or Apache's wipe out battalions of tanks while sitting on a hill eating MRE's.

If you fight an Iraq style battle, come on how boering is that. The only way the bad guys win is a protracted war of attrition, there is no individual engagements the insugents will win save some small isolated squads or somthing. How much fun would it be to drive your Hummer up and down a road until an IED hits it and then waste a village. Talk about the same scenario and same outcome. I just don't see the tactics and manuvering in a modern battlefield that you get in a WW II game and to me it is more about tactics than RT play.

Like Patton said "I don't see the glory in a push-button war". Or something to that effect.

@seel38

Look at the Ardennen-Offensive. Or the defence of Berlin. Operationally not very exciting, but tactically...

Same for US-platoon. The USAF can't be everywhere. And maybe it is your platoon, that just has no air-cover at this very certain hour?

In the big view, i share your opinion. The theatre is not that exciting for me, too. But if we look at the small tactical aspects, it can be very tough for US-forces. Just like for the Syrians. That this may be not represetative, who cares? Didn't we all like to play with Tigers everywhere, when only LAH and Das Reich had a few?

Therefore i wouldn't overestimate the strategical/operational odds as impact on the game experience. And what you learn now in CMSF, will give you an advantage over CMx2 newbies, learning CMx2 with the WWII game... That advantage could be around one year.

So go and buy CMSF! It will not only bring us closer and faster to the WWII game, it will make you a better CMx2-WWII gamer. :D

Originally posted by seel38:

If you fight an Iraq style battle, come on how boering is that.

Not all Iraq style battles are boring. The Battle of Nasiriyah in March 2003 saw 29 US soldiers killed and another 50 wounded in only a few days. The fighting was an intense infantry action. US tanks were unavailable due to bogging down far from the main battle, and US air support counter-productive due to a monumental screw-up that saw many US soldiers killed or wounded by their own aircraft. The enemy did not run - they stayed and fought, hard.

When ever I see people talking about how a modern Iraq type war will, be playable they always go on about how the Americans may not have air support for some reason ie. weather or that their tanks will be disadvantaged in city type combat or whatever. These may be valid but you can't have every scenario with the American forces fighting under circumstances which negate their vast firepower superiority and I can't see how it would work if they are allowed to bring all their toys. For me WW2 (especially eastern front) has all the essentials for the ultimate wargame.

Originally posted by sonar:

you can't have every scenario with the American forces fighting under circumstances which negate their vast firepower

You are forgetting that most WWII battles were walk-overs of exactly the type you describe. CMx1 scenarios generally only simulate those battles in which resistance was unexpectedly high. Military planners don't plan for a fair fight - not now and not in WWII.

Originally posted by zwinship:

I don't remember who posted it but I am going to be waiting for my helicopters!!! I couldn't see a Marine addon with out them...

Here's to Hope.

Sorry Zwinship you're going to have a long wait. No helicopters or amphibious operations in the USMC module.

Originally posted by Sequoia:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by zwinship:

I don't remember who posted it but I am going to be waiting for my helicopters!!! I couldn't see a Marine addon with out them...

Here's to Hope.

Sorry Zwinship you're going to have a long wait. No helicopters or amphibious operations in the USMC module. </font>

ok, for what my opinion is worth I agree re the cmak cmbb comments where these two not interchangable was a dissapoinmtment, an add on or upgrade would be nicer to the user base, fans etc.. Looking forward I would like all these new advances applied to WW2, picking any theatre or all, I sure would plunk down my 100$ if it had FOG on ati, no fog tables please, and any pre 20th century mods would be bonus!

Originally posted by Dr. Zoidberg:

Visual representation, anyway. The AH-64 and OH-58 are already confirmed in the recently released weapons list. But in a similar manner as fixed wing and artillery support.

I'm sure there are still pretty explosions!

Still want to see airmobile but that's ok... Still from the screeneys and vid clips well worth the $65 pre order for delux. BTW loved the picture of the mouse pad, that was what reallllly sold me on the delux version!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I guess you can always use the "what if" when playing a game. Same goes for WW II as in modern times, which is why you play the game.

For me though WWII is the pinnacle of warfare, just the right amount of technology, but not too much. I guess for me I could do the modern combat game if it was in CM1, I could see it as kind of fun re-creating some small unit actions or somehow developed it into a larger "what if battles". I just do not like the real time stuff. I don't like the little colored dots that move around and trying to follow the action gives me a headache, it's like the game plays itself. I'm sure I'm in the minority but this game could have been cool if it was like CMBB or CMAK.

I just want a game that is just like CMAK that covers WW II 1939-1946, Europe and Asia. I want them to include 1946 to be able to play "what if battles" with equipment that was known to be in development or even play a US vs Russia 1946 scenario. German E-100's vs Stalin 3's. My ultimate game. ONLY IF!

Shock force isnt for me. I prefer the wego system of cmx1. Simply a graphics upgrade for that game would have very popular.Just my personal opinion.Those that like shock i wish all the best thats great. For now i am re-aquainting myself with the new campaign series release.Same game with new units, countries and plenty of further mods in the pipeline. The core of the game is the same.It depends what you prefer, serious wargamers the tactical options with historical content.

regards S