Hey Monkeys...You guys notice anything different and new???

Madmatt

Looks awesome. I saw one guy in nomex getting in the Stryker, I hope you dont forget to give those to tankers smile.gif

All models look great. A question about the Abrams's smoke grenade dischargers. They look very strange to me. Ive never seen the grenades stick out like that. Could you please provide a reference photo? Thanks

Some videos from youtube you might find interesting

M1A2 tour

PS. A lot of tanks lose the very last side skirt next to the sprocket, or it gets bent. Maybe you could randomise that like the cages on Strykers. Also, there are atleast 2 different kinds of threads that we use, both have different kinds of pads. Are they both simulated?

[ February 10, 2007, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: M1A1TankCommander ]

Heya M1! Yup, we used them off of a reference model we had and ironically they are about the only thing that we didnt rebuild, but they do need some reworking and are on the to do list smile.gif There are two types of grenades though, some shorter and some longer. I chose the longer ones at random but will probably swap back as it is what people are used to seeing. I dont have time to dig out any pics of the longer ones at the moment but you often see them in photos from Iraq.

Dan

[ February 10, 2007, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

I think the site is great! It makes the game live before we can finally get to play it. I would like a suggested computer spec on the main menu - even if it's liable to some change....! The one thing I'm not sure about is the audio. I think I would expect this type of audio with a classic RTS game website rather than the more detailed sim type game it is set to be - with not a tank rush in sight! (Just for background I have played all previous CM games - in fact still playing CMAK and CMBB PBEM and also the Close Combat series of games (play CC3 weekly) so the new CMx2 real time engine should be right up my street!)

Congratulations on the website gentlemen.

If you guys only knew how much research I did on smoke grenades for the M1 and how hard that info was to find! That was a HUGE issue for me (yeah, I always champion one minutia type thing!) but I think I finally got the answers we are looking for, although is anyone has better info, PLEASE let me know in email!

First off, there are usually two types of grenades you will see in the 6 tube M250 smoke dischargers (Marine M1's use the 8 tube M257 discharger) and as Kwazy said above, those discharger models ingame are currently ugly and will get redone.

There is the red phosphorus L8A1 and L8A3 grenade (actually that's two types but they are essentially the same grenade). As the active smoke generating compound in them is Red Phosphorus, they don't really burn hot enough to block Thermal Imagine Systems totally.

Those grenades, from what I have been able to determine are the ones you used to normally see and have a very dark green, almost black appearance and extend out of the discharger tubes only a few inches (see below for pic on a M257 launcher).

grenade_type1.jpg

More recently, we have begun to see M1's equipped with the M76 Multispectral IR smoke grenades. These stick out of the discharger tubes a few more inches than the L8A3's and are light green in color. These grenades burn at much higher temperatures and apparently also include bits of metal flaking which can block TIS totally because they cause issues with those systems to be able to discern differences in temperatures. In a TIS view scope, you would just see a totally black area when looking at a area covered in M76 generated smoke.

(see below for screenshot of those)

grenade_type2.jpg

I believe that in CMSF, we are making the assumption that by the time of the conflict in Syria, most US units would have upgraded to the newer, more effective M76 (or similar multispectral smoke grenades) and that's what you are seeing in the current models.

I agree though, I think in the current models that they are sticking out too far, but Dan has said he will be working on them again down the road, before the game is released. ;) I have dozens of reference pics taken from Iraq and to be honest, it seems sometimes the M76 are sticking out further than in others, but I would prefer that for aesthetics, we show them sticking out LESS rather than more.

So yeah, we are spending just as much time on the little details in CMSF, as the big ones!

Madmatt