Whats next after 1.08?

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

Now I hear even that isn't enough. Apparently water is simply a taboo subject because BFC's self-appointed minders say so.

Steiner I am not too sure what you are referring too here, the members you have been responding too directly arent testers if that is what you are implying. They are just expressing their opinions as were you.

Water will come, but we are waiting until we have the time to implement it properly, both visually and technically. We could just colour a tile blue and call it water (players can pretty much do this now with the marsh terrain if they like), but we are hoping to be able to do something more.

Dan

[ April 04, 2008, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Dan,

Thanks for your reassurance and for giving me hope of something a bit better than CMx1 style blue tiles, even if we have to wait a while for it. No big deal, I can wait.

I wasn't implying other posters were in any way connected with BFC or on the testing team - that's why I chose to use the phrase "self-appointed". I guess I was just letting off a bit of steam as arguments in these forums seem to kick off over the slightest thing these days.

Thanks once again for a glimpse of what we might expect and when.

Originally posted by Childress:

Is water *really* important for operations in Eastern Syria? (Just curious)

Nope, which is why it's on the list for later.

IIRC, BTS has already said that the Marine module will include amphibious tracks. I think there's an implication of water involved in there somewhere...

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

Dan,

Thanks for your reassurance and for giving me hope of something a bit better than CMx1 style blue tiles, even if we have to wait a while for it. No big deal, I can wait.

I wasn't implying other posters were in any way connected with BFC or on the testing team - that's why I chose to use the phrase "self-appointed". I guess I was just letting off a bit of steam as arguments in these forums seem to kick off over the slightest thing these days.

Stiener no worries, and yup things have been getting a little heated a little too quickly over the last few months. Hopefully we are just about to the point there we can look more so towards the future of the CM series than focus on the past and I think we are starting to see the overall tone of posts head in that direction.

And yup, I know Charles is hoping to do more with water in CMx2 than a simple blue tile, which is why we decided to hold off until there was time to do it justice. Time will tell as always smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by Martyr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Childress:

Is water *really* important for operations in Eastern Syria? (Just curious)

Nope, which is why it's on the list for later.

IIRC, BTS has already said that the Marine module will include amphibious tracks. I think there's an implication of water involved in there somewhere... </font>

I'd still love to see some user-moddable "decals" to spice up ground level walls and building walls a bit with things like pulldown doors, graffiti/advertising and bullet marks. Plus a couple of bus shelter-sized items we could use to create market stalls/awnings or little tin-sided outbuildings/sheds.

Wouldn't seem too hard for Charles to ginn up (ATMs, aircon units and bus shelter objects already exist) and would go a long way to address the "sterility" complaint for streetscapes.

Something as simple as showing the minimum and maximum ranges for weapons is gravely missing from the game. Needs to be added. I don't want to read the manual in the heat of battle just to see what the engagement range of my missiles is.

Originally posted by Exel:

Something as simple as showing the minimum and maximum ranges for weapons is gravely missing from the game. Needs to be added. I don't want to read the manual in the heat of battle just to see what the engagement range of my missiles is.

Why don't you look at the weapon information that IS there now (for Infantry weapons) and has been since 1.06???

From the 1.06 Read Me:

• Heavy team weapons display their minimum and maximum ranges in the panel with the name, caliber, etc.

Actually I've just had a look to confirm this before adding a caustic conclusion and it does appear to have gone.

I'll see what I can find out (was definitely there in 1.06 and 1.07 though).

[ April 05, 2008, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Originally posted by Exel:

I just checked my V1.08 copy of the game. Heavy weapons like ATGM, RR, Javelins and MGs do have min and max ranges.

Might as well jump on the water bandwagon while its passing through - I would like to see it. As to it being necessary - try Google Earth. There's plenty of it kicking around and if you work on the premise that human settlements grow up around water then it becomes a fairly important terrain feature. I have been frustrated to a degree in map creation for Syria/Iraq because of the lack of water tiles to use.

I currently model watercourses in Afghan-type scenarios by using marsh tiles on the banks with some mud thrown in and some grass tiles to represent crossing points. The watercourse itself is modelled using a mixture of gravel, mud, marsh and sand tiles. If you look at some of the watercourses in Helmand Province on Google Earth - you'll see it is actually quite a realistic effect.