Weekend Bone

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holo,

The way it is setup now (and it might change, especially the names) is that Fast is a flat out run. High speed, high energy drain, and slow recovery. Quick is a fast jogging speed. This can be kept up for quite a distance, but cumulatively will tire your guys out. Move is your normal walking around kind of move. Hunt is the same as CM's Move to Contact. The unit moves until it comes into enemy contact. Thanks to Relative Spotting this should be even more useful in CMx2. Slow is crawling. Reverse is Quick done backwards, with weapons orientated in the opposite direction of travel. Blast moves a unit to a location to blow something up (not a unit, something like a wall).

Andrew,

Yeah, it can be modded. I tried very hard to make things color neutral. The moddifiers for Attributes kinda slipped by. I'll make the red ones look like X and green lik +.

Steve

Originally posted by Andrew H.:

This is very cool.

Only thought I have is that people who are red/green colorblind might have some difficulty with the experience level icons. I assume that could be modded, though.

this is a good point.

Michael beat me to it.. a minus sign for red is more intuitive IMHO smile.gif .

can the bonus like +2 be two green "+" symbols and maybe the -2 modifier could just be two RED "-" symbols so it would not be colour dependent.

Red/Green colour blindness should be considered, good suggestion.

-tom w

P.s.

I could be wrong but it looks like Steve has changed the interface red + symbol to a Red X symbol already. Check the image of the interface, I believe it has changed now.

[ September 03, 2006, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Hunt is the same as CM's Move to Contact. The unit moves until it comes into enemy contact. Thanks to Relative Spotting this should be even more useful in CMx2.
That sounds very interesting.

The hunt command and relative spotting look to be one of the most welcome and and highly awaited features that we are all looking forward too!

Thanks!

-tom w

[ September 03, 2006, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Hunt is the same as CM's Move to Contact. The unit moves until it comes into enemy contact. Thanks to Relative Spotting this should be even more useful in CMx2.

That sounds very interesting.

The hunt command and relative spotting look to be one of the most welcome and and highly awaited features that we are all looking forward too!

Thanks!

-tom w </font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

These secondary Attributes (Bonuses) do not change within a scenario. Well, except for Leadership since the Leader can be replaced.

There are five positions; +2, +1, Neutral, -1, -2.

So if I understand this correctly, in the current screenshot the team is listed as Regular, Rested, and Nervous. These will not change at any point in the battle, instead we'll have Nervous +1 or Rested -2.

If my interpretation is correct, I suspect this will be very confusing to new players. I would think someone looking at the UI would focus on the names and less on the + or x. For example someone looking at Rested -2 would focus on the word "Rested" and pay less attention to the two red x's next to the word -- after all if the UI explicitly uses the word "Rested", the implication is that the team is "Rested" not that it's actually "Tired" because the two red x's next to "Rested" completely change the status of the unit.

Wouldn't it make more sense to change the names as status changes -- listing "Steady" instead of "Nervous +1" or "Tired" instead of "Rested -2"? I'm sure the Grogs will figure it out and deal with whatever interface you provide, but I think the casual players will find the current interface very confusing (again assuming I'm interpreting your remarks on no changes to the secondary attributes correctly).

Bone? I want chicken wings! ;)

Well it looks like the squad has a door knocker, so will we see squads knocking in doors or blowing them?

So if squads can open doors, then there is indoor combat?

The pannel looks very busy! I must say I really like the clean simple look of the unit detail screens in Theater of War.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

PSY,

I think you've got it wrong. The written status is the current actual status. The symbols are the positive or negative modifiers the unit has in that stat. So, the unit is "nervous" now but the positive symbol means it makes morale checks with a positive modifier. Clear?

So the green +'s or red x's are the part that do not change? So an elite unit would have either 1-2 +'s in each attribute and a poorly trained green unit would likely have 2 x's in each attribute; and the text descriptions would range up and down based on the status of the unit? Okay, that makes a lot more sense.

Originally posted by PSY:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

PSY,

I think you've got it wrong. The written status is the current actual status. The symbols are the positive or negative modifiers the unit has in that stat. So, the unit is "nervous" now but the positive symbol means it makes morale checks with a positive modifier. Clear?

So the green +'s or red x's are the part that do not change? So an elite unit would have either 1-2 +'s in each attribute and a poorly trained green unit would likely have 2 x's in each attribute; and the text descriptions would range up and down based on the status of the unit? Okay, that makes a lot more sense. </font>

OK, you guys got the whole modifier thing sorted out :D

The modifiers represent specific things which the Scenario Designer can specify. If he wants to simulate elite units that have been surrounded and beaten on for a month, he whacks the unit's Fitness Modifier (tied to Condition). This means no matter how Rested the unit is, as soon as it moves it will tire out rather quickly compared to a unit with a better Fitness Modifier.

A unit with good Leadership Modifier (tied to the Leader) will rally better/quicker than a unit with a bad Leadership Modifier.

A unit with bad Motivation Modifier (tied to Morale) tends to freeze up more frequently and with less desire to get back in the fight.

The interesting thing is how they play off against each other. A unit with excellent Leadership might be able to hold a unit with poor Motivation together or have a decent chance of getting them back to fighting if they freak out. A unit with bad Fitness will be more likely to suffer Morale problems since tired units are more likely to have problems than rested ones. Again, Leadership can help overcome this and keep things together. IF you've got bad Leadership, well, the opposite can happen. A unit that is well Fit and generally well Motivated might freak out because they suddenly realize that Gomer Pile is in charge and he's going to get them all killed. And no, we are not simulating "fragging" :D

Pad, yes, there is a lot going on. But remember that this is it... the whole user interface in one go. Also keep in mind that CM is a lot different than ToW, therefore the interface is a lot different. There are entire layers of CMx2 that are not really simulated in ToW, so they don't have as much information to show. That being said, the UI can still be changed to some degree. But only if it won't compromise the necessary information needed to play.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

If he wants to simulate elite units that have been surrounded and beaten on for a month, he whacks the unit's Fitness Modifier (tied to Condition). This means no matter how Rested the unit is, as soon as it moves it will tire out rather quickly compared to a unit with a better Fitness Modifier.

Will this be the way to model fully "over"-equipped infantry, giving them penalty in Fitness, versus light "rags and AK's" infantry? Or there is some other way to do it?

Is the single vertical gold bar on the left the leader's rank? In CMx1 we had a proper rank for each man I seem to recall (might have even been German versions but I don't have time to boot CMBB/CMAK right now to check). I'd like to see the actual rank, and if possible, the Syrian version as well. It adds to the immersion to know how the guy is addressed.