Weekend Bone

Tarkus,

Thanks for that info. I kind of guessed that the single gold bar meant 2nd Lt. just because the guy was a platoon leader, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

I can live with the insignia if we have a nice bit in the manual showing all the insignias and what they mean - for both sides. In some ways it adds to the immersion factor to have to learn these things from the manual - especially as they have only a superficial effect on game-play!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to strange compulsions beyond my control, I am familiar with rank insignia of perhaps 100 different militaries. Although they each have their own look (or borrowed from some other nation that does) there isn't a lot of difference in the concepts of ranks.

Generally there is one theme for NCOs, another for junior officers, another for mid grade officers, and then a fourth look for senior (general) officers. Warrant Officers are usually an offshoot of the junior officers, though are often a combo of NCO and junior officer. This makes IDing the category or rank rather easy, then you simply have to learn how many stars, bars, stripes, or what not equate to which ranks. More stuff within a given category always means the rank is higher than something with less stuff. Syria and the US both follow these general guidlines.

For those interpid info seekers, you might want to go over to one of the best websites on the Net. Well, at least I think so smile.gif

http://www.uniforminsignia.net

Steve

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Figured it is about time I posted a significant bone. I'll let you guys chew on this for a while before explaining things. I'm curious to see what you make of it :D

Steve

UI%20Sample.jpg

Thank God it is a plain font with no shading effects, wild backgrounds, etc., but something we can actually read without squinting...looks like a great layout and design.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Thank God it is a plain font with no shading effects, wild backgrounds, etc., but something we can actually read without squinting...looks like a great layout and design.

Actually I first had to squint a bit to make sense of those thin, tall high contrast letters. The high contrast kind of hurts my eye.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

I dont think "hunt" is a real US Army infantry command. Why not use something realistic?

Hey! This is a game about the Syrian army, and if "hunt" is a Syrian infantry command, then it has to be in. </font>

In any case, it is a strange mixture of icons (M16) and photorealistic images (binoculars, e.g.), with the logos bottom left being neither.

At the size of the presented little images, one should go with icons in my humble opinion. Take the binocular symbol in the middle, for example. This screams for being replaced with a simple 2D icon!

Less is sometimes more!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

At the size of the presented little images, one should go with icons in my humble opinion. Take the binocular symbol in the middle, for example. This screams for being replaced with a simple 2D icon!

Better would be a toggle to allow the user to decide how much prettiness he wants. In any case I suspect there will be lots of mods of the interface appearance.

Less is sometimes more!

But mostly it's just less.

Rollstoy,

We made the weapons different looking so they would "jump out". Too many 2D icons makes the UI look flat and uninteresting. And if you disagree, then you can of course make your own set and be happy :D As RMC said, there will likley be more than a few interface mods soon after CM:SF comes out. There were some excellent ones for CMx1 games for sure.

Steve