anyone gone back to CMBO CMBB CMAK after CMSF?

Ivan,

That longevity is what keeps so many of your customers loyal!
Quality games is what keeps them loyal, longevity is what keeps them loyal over long periods of time :D

Remember, CMx1 averaged one game every 2 years. CMx2 will average one game every 1 year and additional elements to each game every so many months (no firm schedule). So overall we think there will be a dramatic INCREASE in the enjoyment of all things CM because there will be more to enjoy over time. But for any one title... compared to CMBB it will have less stuff in it. So there needs to be an adjustment to defining what gives CM its legs.

Mord,

LOL. I should've waited a few minutes before I typed my other post...
Cross posting is so much fun :D

So, just think what WWII is gonna be like!
I know I'm excited about seeing 10,000 polygon Shermans crawling through realistically simulated hedgerows that have to be breached instead of driven through slowly!

Steve

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly haven't read a single one of the modern Iraq books. Maybe it comes from actually being there or something. My cousin used to say he didn't need to watch TV, movies, or read books on Vietnam because he was actually there. I do notice that I can't stand any movies or TV shows that try and show the current conflict (I'm spitting on "Over There" especially).

But here I sit, playing a strategy game that's set in modern day warfare.

Jarhead was good though. Definitely a realistic depiction of the boredom in war.

CMBB spoiled us rotten, 7 armies, all the AFVs (except some minor early war soviet stuff)to simulate every battle from 1941 to 1945. I have been playing it almost daily for 5 years, have never played the same scenario twice and I still have not played with all the vehicles.

I am just playing my first scenario now with Ferdinands .

BTW, any chance we may see an Eastern Front CMx2 sometimes in the future?, although presumably it would be titled CM:Stalingrad, CM:Kursk or CM:Bagration.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I'm an East Front grog, hence CMBB being such a monster. Expect something East Front from CMx2, I just can't say when.

Steve

Well thats some wonderful news!

Too bad my 5 year old computer can't play CMx2 games.

Oh well one can hope!

I never left BB and AK, and am awaiting 1.03 so I can start up some more SF pbem. I am confident that SF will patched to perfection in the next few months, but I'm also sure it won't take the place of the BB and AK games. I'm just not a big desert fan, once the modules start coming I'm sure it will take up more of my time. Once the WWII stuff comes, then BB and AK might be retired.

A couple questions to anyone in the know:

Are there plans to allow larger battles in the future? Along the Regt (+) scale or will the new ones model the small stuff only?

Will the modules "build" the game as they come out? i.e. 10 vehicles added in the second module can be used for scenario creation in the first module setting? Or will they all be stand alone theaters?

I'm an East Front grog, hence CMBB being such a monster. Expect something East Front from CMx2, I just can't say when.

Steve

We're gonna hold you to that buddy!

Now, tell me you are planning to do Nam as well!

Mord.

Originally posted by sross:

Will the modules "build" the game as they come out? i.e. 10 vehicles added in the second module can be used for scenario creation in the first module setting? Or will they all be stand alone theaters?

CMSF is the core game; the next release should be a Marine module, that will add extra content to CMSF alone. Anything in that module will be usable in the Scenario editor.

A WWII title say Normandy, will be another core game with future modules that will add to it.

Mord.

Steve

That's without a doubt the best news I've heard in a long time. Not sure if this was mentioned before, maybe I missed it. Care to speculate on how big(1 or 2 modules) this future CMx2 East Front will be? I know it won't be as huge as the legendary CMBB was. But in comparison?

P.S. Concentrate on the German and Russian OOBs. I think most considered all the other nations as somewhat of an afterthought to the main forces.

Originally posted by Suicide Monkey:

Nam would be cool.

US Army airmobile troops disembark in a grass field, advance into the jungle as the dusters and the gunships lift off from the LZ, then your platoon get's ambushed in the bush by Viet Cong. Hell yeah, baby!

Almost no armor--everything would be close up infantry fights! How's that grab yah, Mord? :D

That would rule! Rice paddies, Hueys, ARVN, ROK, Aussies, Montagnards...claymores, punji sticks, NVA, VC, LRRPS, Brown Water Navy, FAC...M113's...*SIGH*...I drooled all over my keyboard.

Closest thing I've ever gotten to this Nirvana was

that Mod they made back in 99 for Close Combat 3.

Mord.

Honestly unless its WWII based it just does not really draw me in. I like SF don't get me wrong - but I do look forward to the time I can order the old equipment I have gotten to know an love so much around the map in all the CMx2 graphical goodness.

Much of the enjoyment I get from the WWII genre is that I know what the equipment capabilities, strengths and weaknesses are. Modern day stuff - well its a little too much like watching CNN for my liking.

Does BF have any estimate on time when they might plan to do WWII CMx2??

Originally posted by Mord:

That would rule! Rice paddies, Hueys, ARVN, ROK, Aussies, Montagnards...claymores, punji sticks, NVA, VC, LRRPS, Brown Water Navy, FAC...M113's...*SIGH*...I drooled all over my keyboard.

All that'd be left would be to pump some Hendrix, Morrison, Stones, and Credence out of the stereo while we played!

All right, Steve--I second Vietnam! But only after you guys visit at least one theater of WWII first! :D

MobHit,

Does BF have any estimate on time when they might plan to do WWII CM
Yes, but we want to think it over some more before we toss it out to you guys. What I can say is that it shouldn't be more than a year before it is in your hands. 1 year between major releases (aka "Titles") is the general plan we are shooting for.

Steve

While I am not a "hardcore" war gamer I have played the CM games off and on for the last few years. I currently have CMAK installed as well as CMSF.

I have played several CMSF battles all in RT (with lots of pauses for commends).

I found going back to play CMAK after playing CMSF for a few weeks now that I don't enjoy the WEGO as much and find myself wanting to be able to pause the game so I can adjust my orders as the situation changes.

So at this point while I will still play both games I am finding myself liking CMSF more as I learn more how to play the game I will probably be playing it more and CMAK less. I find the RT game play to be very immersive.

MobHit,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Does BF have any estimate on time when they might plan to do WWII CM

Yes, but we want to think it over some more before we toss it out to you guys. What I can say is that it shouldn't be more than a year before it is in your hands. 1 year between major releases (aka "Titles") is the general plan we are shooting for.

Steve [08-30-07] </font>