CM 3

pavlov

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next project is CMII (roman numerals), which is the engine rewrite. CM3, which is the next game we'll actually see, is tenatively slated for the Mediterranean/North Africa/Italy/Crete/Balkans according to statments made in the past. However BTS/BFC haven't completely made up their minds and haven't definitively stated exactly what is the next theatre.

[ September 14, 2002, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

The next CM is CM2 (CMBB isn't called CM2 because it still uses the same engine). CM2, the engine rewrite, will be focus on Meditteranean theatre, so expect North Africa, Italy, the Balkans...

Wack, you birdbrain! Spreading misinformation again!

Try to pay attention this time. Take notes if you need to. CM:BB is CM2. Why is it CM2, you ask? BECAUSE IT IS THE SECOND GAME IN THE SERIES, NITWIT!

The third game in the series will quite naturally be CM3 and will, if it follows the announced plan entail North Africa, Italy, and perhaps the Balkans. It will incorporate the engine rewrite WHICH IS KNOWN AS CMII (please kindly observe the Roman numerals at the end). Are you with me so far?

Finally, the projected fourth game in the series will be casually known as CM4 and is promised to encompass the first couple of years of the war in Europe, i.e. Poland, Norway, France, and whatever pleases BFC to toss in.

I'm sure that the logic of this system of designating games for games in the series must eventually be apparent even to one of such insubstantial intellectual apparatus as yourself if you will but concentrate your efforts for only a brief hour or two.

To recap: The game engines are known respectively as CMI and CMII. The games themselves are known as CM1, CM2, CM3, and CM4.

Now run along and do your lessons like a good boy.

Michael

Are the early war years enough to justify a whole game unto themselves, especially without horses? I just bought "War on the Eastern Front - The German Soldier in Russia 1941-1945" by James Lucas, and every photo from 1941-1942 has horsies in it! smile.gif And that is the period after the early war years! There is also a diagram on how to build an igloo. :D

[ September 14, 2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]

I will await the Desert, Med and early war in anticipation. I would, however hope that the new engine at some point revisits the Eastern Front. I remember BTS saying that they were going to try and keep the engine fairly easy to "upgrade"-ie. add units to existing theatres and such. Hopefully this doesn't mean that they will have to do as much hard work to switch theatres.

I do admit that a Pacific theatre CM would be of great interest to me (though nowhere near a revisit of Ost Front).

Originally posted by al hernandez:

sorry dudes; you are all wrong; i got the scoop that CM3 will be back to the western front;

no africa , no japan, etc...

I got this info on one of the topics in this forum

Ah, but it is you who is incorrect:

Posted by Schrullenhaft

Others have already mentioned most of the plans. The current plans as stated in the past and subject to change are:

After patching CMBB the next project is the engine rewrite (CMII) for the next series of games. At some point during the rewrite work will begin on CM3 covering the Meditterranean (North Africa/Italy/Greece/Crete/Yugoslavia ? 1940-1945). So CM3 will be based on the engine rewrite (CMII) and it may take over two years after CMBB is patched before CM3 will be released. After that will be CM4 Early War (Poland, Winter War, West Front 1940, Norway and maybe even Spanish Civil War).

After CM4 there will probably be another engine rewrite and the game will go back to the Western Front 1944-45 and again revisit the Eastern Front 1941-1945 (most likely separate games). No plans have been mentioned for Napoleonic, ACW, Thirty Years War, Age of Rifles, Modern, Korea 1950-1953, Vietnam, Pacific Theater or an all encompassing game of 1939-1945.

[ September 14, 2002, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Capitain Wacky is Steve's illegitimate son? What? How and were did you pull all that together?

Mind you, I'm not trolling or belittling (well, maybe a little smile.gif ). I'm just curious as to the latest BTS thinking and wondering if you indeed encapsulated it in your post.

Those aren't my words, they are the words of Schrullenfaft. Those were the current plans as of late August and, as Schrullenhaft mentioned, are subject to change.

No plans have been mentioned for Napoleonic, ACW, Thirty Years War, Age of Rifles, Modern, Korea 1950-1953, Vietnam, Pacific Theater or an all encompassing game of 1939-1945.[/QB]
I hope they're at least _aware_ of WWII's CBI theatre. Many don't seem to be, and I think it could be a great gaming experience (Thinking especially of the "Burma" part). Much of the "claustrophobia" of Normandy, with environmental/logistical type hardships like those the East Front. Smaller scale of the action (compared to European engagements) would fit CM well.

Well, we'll see. I can always fast for a few days while lying in a puddle before someone walks up and shoots me (with a BB gun) if I _really_ want a bit of the CBI expereince. I anticipate buying all the CM games no matter what, anyway - and I'm sure having BFC do what they feel like is the best way to get a CM game.

Steve's most complete post on the subject:

Vtoraya Mirovaya.

My guess is:

CMBB patch (is there really that much to do?)

CM II Engine

CM3 (Med)

CM4 (Early war incl. Finnish Winter War)

CM5 (Revisit CMBO)

CM6 (Revisit CMBB)

Personally I'd love to see Napoleonic and ACW versions of CM. I think true 3D with a hybrid turn-based system like CM's would work extremely well for such a game. But unless BTS brings in another code monkey to help with the new engine and then have them start on a Napoleonic CM once the engine is done, it might be a while. smile.gif

- Chris

IIRC Steve(BTS/BFC) specifically ruled out any CM set in the Pacific. The CM engine (/type of game that CM is) and the type of fighting in teh Pacific don't match very well.

just think about how CM plays, its features, and then thibnk about the fighting on most of the Pacific, and you'll understand.