European manual query

Apache

Originally posted by CavalryMan:

I believe there is an EEC regulation about packaging that has forced software suppliers to reduce packaging to the DVD cases. I guess that in light of this CDV have re-tooled to this format and feel that whilst CMBB is a great game retooling their production for it is not viable.

Just my 2c worth

Are you sure? There are some games which have paper boxes of the same size of a dvd case, but much thicker. Morrowind, IL-2, the Fallout collection, are games that I have seen in this type of packaging.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neverwinter Nights came in a cardbord box with a full manual in Denmark as well, though it may have been the American version - I'm not sure.

This topic comes up with almost every game I've bought for the past two years and it's almost always a distributor-question, not a producer one. It may have something to do with EEC regulations, I don't know. Blaming it on BTS is only fair in that they chose CDV to distribute the game in Europe but I doubt it would have been different with other distributors and I'm all for putting CM:BB on every game shelf in Europe. That way BTS will get more money and we'll get CM2 sooner. Just make sure customers can buy it directly next time and we'll all be happy. :D

Tue

I don't read manuals (<--lazy SOB ;) ) but I might add that my german manual is fouled up: Some 10 or 20 pages in the middle were cut the wrong way and miss approximately an inch on the lower half of the page, while the upper parts of the pages haven't been cut at all. Thus you can't open those pages unless you cut the tops yourself and you can't read the bottom paragraphs because they ended up on the "cutting room floor" of the company that printed the durn thing. .. :(

Sascha

Okay folks, I can take on no more US to European purchases now. I'm sorry, but I've taken on more than I originally anticipated already and its about to turn into a burden. I wish I could help more of you folks out but pure selfishness precludes me from spending a lot of time on this. Maybe after the initial shipping is completed I'll be up to taking on a few more of you guys.

Sorry.

Directive 94/62/ec still doesn't explain why Il sturmovik, Neverwinter nights and other games i have bought recently have been in small cardboard boxes with FULL printed manuals.

I'm sorry, i had no faith in CDV in the first place,(Don't like them or the majority of their products,)Perhaps BFC will find a new partner for distribution in europe because going on what happening just now, CDV don't seem to have any interest whatsoever in the consumers.. :mad:

Heeeellllllooooo !

No non no, I won't even say a thing about this (I promised The Bald One, I fear the baseball bat now... :eek: )

But I stay tuned for announcements from BFC, and I heartily support the idea of allowing Net sales from BFC from Europe.

I suppose this will amount to a loss for CDV of maybe 0.02% of sales profit, so increase the price by 0.02$ for us and give them back :rolleyes: .

But PLLLEEEEEAAAASEEE deliver us from evi... huh, I mean CDV ;)

The problem appears to be that CMBO "veterans" in Europe cannot get their PC game direct from battlefront.com.

Is the size of Western European based PC CMBO players - who have been part of the "CMBO family" for two years - large enough for someone like CDV to insist upon having their custom.

I.e., CMBO Euro PC players who purchased CMBO from BTS must be small in number.

But on the other hand... why couldn't the people who are complaining about CDV, simply get their copy from a US-based retailer, like Amazon.com? Also, people will be too busy playing CMBB to bother with the manual.

Europeans fighting to get their hands on the "enhanced" CDV CMBO game with extra CD containing extra ,mods and scenarios seems like a very long time ago!!

Hmmm...do all Euros get their panties in a bunch over little things like this? ;)

I mean the manual is there, whether in PDF form or not...some of you guys have been waiting for quite some time for this game, and one would think that the joy of it actually being released would overshadow the little things you guys seem to get so upset about...?

Oh well...hopefully BTS can come up with a solution to make everyone happy.

Originally posted by Egan:

Directive 94/62/ec still doesn't explain why Il sturmovik, Neverwinter nights and other games i have bought recently have been in small cardboard boxes with FULL printed manuals.

I'm sorry, i had no faith in CDV in the first place,(Don't like them or the majority of their products,)Perhaps BFC will find a new partner for distribution in europe because going on what happening just now, CDV don't seem to have any interest whatsoever in the consumers.. :mad:

I wouldn't call the 88 page booklet that came with IL-2 much of a manual. I can barely read anything in it and whats there is poorly put together and there is no index.

Just my personal observation.

Madmatt

Originally posted by James:

Why all the fuss over the size of manual? Surly its the game that counts. How many of you still re-read your CMBO manual?

I don't still reread it, but I spent quite a bit of time reading in the first 3 or 4 months I had CMBO. I plan on doing the same thing with the new manual.

I don't like PDF manuals becuase (1) I like to be able to read the manual while playing the game; and (2) I like to be able to read the manual when I'm not around a computer.

I suppose I don't *object* to having an additional copy of the manual in PDF.