Announcing CMBB Distribution Details

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Harv:

Ahem. I believe you were both intending to use the number 1517 but there was an unfortunate coincidental slip of your digits on the keyboard. Correct?

I think I speak for both me and that other odd fellow when I truthfully and honestly, with malice as an afterthought, answer you that the answer to the question that you asked is NO! and ABSOLUTELY NOT.

You may commence with the flailing about at Moons leisure. Screaming, while amusing to us, well me at least, won't help.

IIRC, there were features seen in last week's previews (for the sodding bastiches who were there), which were not completed.

It could be that they were merely textures that needed fixing, but I'll bet it was something more... ;)

So, completion of features and QA, should take a couple weeks?

I can wait... kinda...

Aloid

Originally posted by Moon:

From the news page...

07/08/02

PRODUCT NEWS: Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin Distribution Details

CDV will be the exclusive distributor for CMBB in Europe, including Germany, France, UK, Finland, Spain, Italy and other West European countries.

European players will find the game in their local retail stores. Besides the original English version, CDV will offer fully localized French and German versions.

Hmm ... 'the original English version' - in Germany again crippled by the guardians of good taste by doing funny things like re-naming the Waffen SS into Waffen Grenadiere?

If so, I would rather buy CMBB directly from BTS. Please tell me I may do so although I live in CDV territory...!

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Harv:

Ahem. I believe you were both intending to use the number 1517 but there was an unfortunate coincidental slip of your digits on the keyboard. Correct?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I may not have spoken with BTS, but I'm almost certain they specifically MEANT to have all those members below 8823 get their advance copy on the sly. You old timers really need to get with the program...

smile.gif

Although this is my first post, i have been reading this forum since I bought CMBO, about 8 months ago.

CMBO has just been retail-released in Spain, where I live, a few days ago. In fact CDV joined with Proein to distribute the game here.

The retail release of CMBO has been disappointing for several reasons. First of all, Proein promised a full, printed manual. At the last moment they changed their minds, and the manual comes in a CD, PDF format. Second, the translation is sloppy, you can see they have used a translating software, which as everybody knows tends to do very literal translations. So the PDF manual would need some more proof reading.

At last, but not least, a DVD case, .... oh well, I guess it's cheaper than a box, but still ....

I know several spanish strategy fans like me that have decided against buying this retail version of CMBO because of these problems. Online buying in Spain is much less common than in other countries, don't ask me why, as credit cards are very common.

I am glad to know that a retail CMBB is going to be released in Spain, but I really hope things will change, o CDV doesn't partnership with Proein this time, because CMBB sales here will suffer if, for example, we don't get a printed manual.

Since i fell in love with this game, I have been trying to convince other people of how great it is, mainly in the forums of meristation.com, where I usually write. By the way, CMBO received an excellent review in Meristation, which is one of the most read online gaming magazines in spanish.

Meristation CMBO review

But getting people to buy the game is hard if these problems with the release show up.

I don't know if Battlefront will be able to do anything about it, but at least i wanted them to know.

Cheers,

Kasei

Originally posted by Kasei:

At last, but not least, a DVD case, .... oh well, I guess it's cheaper than a box, but still ....

You're lucky as far as that part goes. The initial release just put the CD inside a paper envelope inserted between the pages of the manual. I had to go out and ACTUALLY BUY a jewel box to protect it on those rare occasions when I had to run something else in my CD drive. That's right, I had to drag my lazy, overweight ass down to a STORE, with (ugh) actual flesh and blood PEOPLE, with whom I had to conduct a business transaction (shudder). And all because those cheap, mercenary scumbags at a certain company I will not name were too miserably tight to include a jewel box in the package. It really makes me want to puke! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Michael :D

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kasei:

You're lucky as far as that part goes. The initial release just put the CD inside a paper envelope inserted between the pages of the manual. I had to go out and ACTUALLY BUY a jewel box to protect it on those rare occasions when I had to run something else in my CD drive. That's right, I had to drag my lazy, overweight ass down to a STORE, with (ugh) actual flesh and blood PEOPLE, with whom I had to conduct a business transaction (shudder). And all because those cheap, mercenary scumbags at a certain company I will not name were too miserably tight to include a jewel box in the package. It really makes me want to puke!</font>

Originally posted by Panzer Boxb:

Silly, silly, Mikey! You should have just trashed one of your other, less well-made games and used it's CD case instead of buying a new one! :D

That's right. Does your copy of Wing Commander III really need to be preserved for posterity in its jewel case? smile.gif

hmmm,I dont want to wait for CDV.

So again the quistion ,can we order from battlefront through the web?

I need the normal English version,or you guys must make a Dutch manual smile.gif

off course i am happy to provide a Dutch translation for a free copy :D

Henk

Originally posted by Jochen Schmidt:

Hi MOON!

First of all - many greetings from Germany, Stuttgart.

It has been a long time, that i didn´t post anything here, but, as you all can see - a CMBO-Player will find back to the place where everything starts. (i remember the days, when CMBO was discussed in this great forum, when i was waiting like a little child to get he full version via Mail from USA.)

Well, CMBO didn´t vanish from my HD for all this time...and as i can see, CMBB will be released very soon - great news!

My question is - for further patches - will we, as european users, have to wait for localised patches, or will there be universal patches independet by localisation??

(Sorry, my english is not the best)

I don´t wanna wait every time, a knew patch comes out, for a localised version. If this is the case, i will order CMBB direct via Internet.

Dear Moon, it would be very kind to answer me - i´m looking forward to hear from you!;)))

Greatings to all here!

Hallo Jochen!

All patches, even those for localized versions, will be released and available directly from us, not only off CDV's website, which should guarrantee a "timely delivery" unlike with some other publishers.

Martin

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer Boxb:

Silly, silly, Mikey! You should have just trashed one of your other, less well-made games and used it's CD case instead of buying a new one! :D

That's right. Does your copy of Wing Commander III really need to be preserved for posterity in its jewel case? smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by cyrano01:

Don't knock the paper CD envelope in the manual. Her Majesty's ever vigilant Customs And Excise took it to be a book which, I believe enjoys a more favourable duty/VAT position than game software would.

I'm sending a note to HMCAE. [insert wicked grin]

Michael

Originally posted by Stoffel:

I need the normal English version,or you guys must make a Dutch manual smile.gif

Henk

For you and some other people who have brought up this - valid - question, all I can offer at this point is our official statement:

"Battlefront can not ship CMBB to European addresses in accordance with our agreement with CDV"

For those wishing to get the english version, you will be able to purchase the UK version directly from CDV.

Hoping for your understanding,

Martin

:(

This is not free trade?

tongue.gif

Before I start something, I understand totally why this is the case as BTS have had to make an agreement with CDV to not under cut their ability to make money from the deal.

Fair enough.

That is business.

:rolleyes:

I guess us Europeans will be giving some of our money to CDV and not you.

:(

There are of course ways and means around this.

If you happened to know someone in the area covered by BTS then you could pay for the software and have it delivered to that address.

Of course you would then have to pay postage out of that address and hope that your friend there would do that for you.

;)

I am sure most Europeans will take the CDV route, or explore off board discussions with friendly Americans. This is mere speculation on my part and not an intention I hold.

;)

H

P.s. This is not giving BTS a hard time as life is full of compromises and I support their decision to market the game via CDV. It is after all their business and as they have delivered the goods, I support their business.

[ July 09, 2002, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stoffel:

Henk

For you and some other people who have brought up this - valid - question, all I can offer at this point is our official statement:

"Battlefront can not ship CMBB to European addresses in accordance with our agreement with CDV"

For those wishing to get the english version, you will be able to purchase the UK version directly from CDV.

Hoping for your understanding,

Martin</font>

Tom,

So those CDV folks have an exclusive deal so BFC won't have to ship to Europe.
In the Publishing world this is normal. Plus, in case people have forgotten... this is how the deal with CDV is currently set up for CMBO. We can not sell any versions of CMBO into Europe, except for the Macintosh versions (which were not covered in the agreement).

I'm not sure thats a good thing for the Europeans.
In general, it is a good thing. More people will wind up playing CMBB (i.e. more native speakers to battle against) and the chance to purchase and play the game in the SAME day.

The only possible downside is that the first batch of gamers might, and I stress MIGHT, have to wait a few days or a week or two. But after that, there will be nothing different between our current CMBO and this new CMBB relationship.

We understand that gamers who know they want to buy it as soon as it is available are only looking at their own personal short term interests, but we have to look at the long term best interests of us as well as the community as a whole. That is not to say that the guys itching to buy now had their needs ignored. I assure you that the complete opposite is the case. Complete opposite smile.gif

my gues is when the shipping Starts the yanks will be the first to get their copies in the mail, hopefully followed closely by the Canadians.
This is assuming that we do not have a simultaneous, or nearly so, release. I don't see anything that would suggest that this is not the plan, so why jump to conclusions? People should not assume that it will be out directly from us sooner than in Europe. It might be that that happens, but then again... it might not be ;)

Steve

Ok, now I am totally freaked out. This means that Battlefront will not send me CMBB to Spain. So if CDV-Proein decides (as with CMBO) to publish CMBB without a printed manual, there is no way I'm going to get it? Or would I be "allowed" to buy it from the UK? :(:(:(

May I have a Battlefront statement about this issue?: Are publication details in Spain (or any European country) entirely up to CDV? Doesn't Battlefront anything to say about it?

Cheers,

Kasei

Kasei, I assume you could always order it from Amazon.co.uk. I regularly order books or computing equipment in Germany, where it is cheaper than in the UK, even after postage. It is a free market in Europe, and I don't think you can prevent goods flowing from one country to another.

Kasei, please scroll up a couple of posts. I mentioned that, of course, anybody can order the UK version from CDV and/or as Andreas pointed out, through Amazon or other mail order companies.

Martin