Announcing CMBB Distribution Details

Originally posted by Puff the Magic Dragon:

You can talk, Mr. America. You don't have any problems with your purchase.

I was just as irritated with my fellow Americans bitching about the sneak preview at Rune's place in Chicago. It's rude and unseemly.

Steve

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by illo:

People never learn.

Censorship goes on like in nazi era. :eek:

Ridicilous. :D

Illo, this is a very dumb post.

It shows you know nothing about how these things work here in Germany. Some Nazi symbols are forbidden to be shown here in Germany, if not for historical/educational purpose. These include swastikas and SS-runes.

You want to view a documentation or read a book about WW2?

No problem, full of swastikas, no censorship at all.

You want to parade through the streets with a swastika flag?

No chance, buddy.

Nazi symbols on toys? Sorry, computer games ARE toys. Again, no chance.

And I fully agree with that, too.

To compare present Germany's laws with the Nazi tyranny is, I said it before, dumb.

Le Tondu, I call it how I see it. BFC has already signed an exclusive distribution contract with CDV. That ain't gonna change. People have been told of ways to get a US version if the three cosmetic changes make them that batty -- but people still feel the need to take Steve and Charles, et al., to task for it.

Now, I don't mind a good argument -- heck, I have gotten in several on this board. What irritates the snot out of me are the folks implying that BFC has somehow 'sold out' by this business decision. That's an ad hominem attack and is garbage.

Guys, if BFC had 'sold out', we would have had a half-assed version of CMBB six months ago with loads of bugs. It would have been little more than CMBO with T-34s. I understand the frustration, and I really understand the concerns about software protection -- but to imply BFC has sold out is simply garbage.

Steve

Look, there are some very good questions raised in this thread, mostly about compatability, quality issues associated with CDV software. It would be a shame to see this thread locked down due to a few hot-under-the-collar types.

Also, about the WG, that is unfortunate but I don't see BFC budging on the issue. They MIGHT be swayed into an "unofficial" patch though...

What worries me most is what Scipio mentioned. You are not able to PBEM people with another "language-specific" version of CM?? That sucks, could someone please clarify?

<font size="5"> Newsflash: (10-07-2002)</font>

The front page of battlefront.com states that MrSpkr will receive a "special" version of CMBB, where every instance of "Waffen SS" shall be replaced by "Scottish Light Infantry".

Early reports indicate that the strong-minded MrSpkr does not mind one bit, and shall celebrate by drinking a glass of Shut The Hell Up.

It put some rationale back into the discussion:

I am currently in the US but I've been in localization-affected Western Europe for a long time. I don't care for Waffelhamsters, prefer a non-swastika game anyway and I guess CDV will make a good manual (unlike many other localized games).

But I became, and for good reasons I claim, extremly paranoid about any software (not only games) that was modified and then put together (compiled and linked) by anybody else than the original developer. I never experienced such a modifiction that did not have problems, either as in running from start, or later as in patches. Never. And I own hundreds of games (most good games twice using the localized as a demo and then mailordering from the US). And CDV is not BTS and they have no Charles.

And a copy protection like Talonsoft's TOAW CoW has crosses my threshold of feeling slapped into the face. It doesn't run everywhere, especially not in emulated environments, and it crashes your machine when you remove the CD while the game runs (it would be fine if the game exits, but it crashes your OS). And I am the freaking paying customer, not the pirate! A copy protection like the US version of CMBO or TOAW 1 had is fine, though.

Originally posted by M. Bates:

<font size="5"> Newsflash: (10-07-2002)</font>

The front page of battlefront.com states that MrSpkr will receive a "special" version of CMBB, where every instance of "Waffen SS" shall be replaced by "Scottish Light Infantry".

<font size="6">"FREEDOM!"</font>

This is getting all emotional. Let's get it back on target.

To summerize:

1) Nobody cares if the game ships with Swastikas or runes because:

</font>

• Everyone agrees that would violate German law.</font>
  • They can be modded in later or not as the user wishes.
    </font>

2) People have a problem with the SS units not being labeled as SS because:

</font>

• It is permanent, not modable.</font>
  • People outside Germany don't like being subject to German law.</font>
  • There is some disagreement about whether the SS labeling is even illegal under German law to begin with.
    </font>

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

What worries me most is what Scipio mentioned. You are not able to PBEM people with another "language-specific" version of CM?? That sucks, could someone please clarify?

To clarify, Scipio was referring to TalonSoft's Western Front; not CMBO. If you read his statement found on the previous page:

I had German Western Front. I wasn't able to PBEM with the rest of the world, beacause it was incompatible to any other language version. In the ned I had to order in the US to play with someone outside of Germany
Fortunately, I don't think we have to worry.