What phase of the battle is most vexing?

If you've played enough scenarios you know the battle can be divided into several distinct phases. Some are more tedious than others (approach march before contact), some are more thrilling than others (main body clashes). But I'm wondering which phase of the battle gives you the most headaches?

For me it's always the final mop-up phase. I've arrived with my units intact and still commanded by their officers. The main battle's gone well and I've given better than I got. But I often get murdered trying to clean the last remnant of the opponent out from under the darned flags! By the time I'm done scouring the ground clean of broken units my major victory has been whittled down to a tie! :mad:

The approach march just before contact.

My typcial behavior is tedious planning of the approach march, particular attention to every turn's orders. Then right around Turn 10, I get bored, lose focus and start rushing the march into a sprint. Typically, at this critical moment, my opponent's main line of defense turns out to be just 20 meters ahead.

So, with alarming regularity, my methodical march morphs into a nasty, bloody melee.

Originally posted by Alsatian:

My typcial behavior is tedious planning of the approach march, particular attention to every turn's orders. Then right around Turn 10, I get bored, lose focus and start rushing the march into a sprint. Typically, at this critical moment, my opponent's main line of defense turns out to be just 20 meters ahead.

So, with alarming regularity, my methodical march morphs into a nasty, bloody melee.

That sounds familiar.

The moment i again find out my brother bought another 'uber'tank, and i now have to change every approaching tactic i had. My heroïsm then often turns from brave to scared and carefull, very carefull.

[ June 16, 2005, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

The setup, I agree whole heartedly. It's the main reason I never play the AI anymore. I just can't bare to spend so much time when the opponent only spends seconds on the same job.

Vs. live opponents my worst behaviour that bothers me the most is when I lose patience with my AFVs and try yet another time to use speed in place of cover. It always ends in a lot of funeral pyres and me cursing myself for never taking the hint.

Y'know, there IS a way around that tedious setup thing. Just don't try so hard! :D

If you're on the offensive you'll have to march your little guys all over kingdom-come anyway. If you're on the defensive your clever opponent will probably attack from an unexpected direction. Besides, sloppy initial setup means you have something to occupy your time while waiting for initial contact to occur (sometimes the first ten turns!)

A large to huge map with winding road(s) in combo with mushy ground and loads of trees and numerous trucks and vehicles. No doubt very realistic but moving all the vehicles (esp. with various experience levels) and mega-way points can be quite tedious. The worst horror is a reinforcement that places new units on yet to be moved but already plotted units.

Tail end of a smallish scenario and the flag keeps shifting from my side to neutral. This is when I try to race some more lads to the objective only to have them gunned down since I foolishly had them Run. Finally the flag turns to my colors, the scenario ends and... the flag goes back to neutral and I get a draw instead of a victory.

DavidI

---------------------

"Life! Tell me about Life!" Marvin the Robot

Most vexing? How about when the rocket barrage you have awaited for 7 or 8 minutes comes roaring in and lands squarely on your fresh troops 500 meters from the target? GRARRGH!! :mad: :mad:

Another is the enemy HMG team that is reduced to a single man and immobilized, so it continues to blast away instead of running. :mad:

Trying to get a vehicle convoy to move along a road through the woods is almost painful. Somebody always gets sideways on the road. :mad: