What is the appropriate punishment for losing?

Lawyer

I've been watching the serious grogs debate technical, tactical, stategic, and historical issues here on the forum for over three years now. Enough already!! It's time we consider the fundamentally important issue of losing and the appropriate punishment for it in CMAK. After all, losing happens more often than winning if you consider draws, and "Loser" is a term that can fairly be attributed to all of us at one time or another, especially in CM.

Winning is its own reward in CM. Nothing extra is needed to enhance that warm glow of victory which comes from thrashing the AI or human (subhuman Cesspool) opponent.

But losing in CM is such a wimpy affair. In CMBO, there was that silly taps tune to annoy you. In CMBB, it's just a neutral display of ugly statistics. And now we have CMAK, yet still no suitable game ending for losers. If you're not playing PBEM against some jerk who will give you personalized gloating and insults for losing, then you are SOL.

Something more is needed to really drive home the point that you as a player simulating WWII warfare have failed! The losers in WWII didn't get off easy, so neither should the losing side in CM if we are to take seriously the game's claim for being realistic.

My favorite punishment for losing was in the original "Panzer General" game. It was particularly effective for losing as the German commander (and let's face it, most of us have enjoyed playing the Bad Boy Germans). While some dirge music played in the background, a heavily-accented Col. Klink voice invited you into his office to express his "disappointment". Sometimes he gave you another chance to do better. Other times, you were sent to the Eastern Front. I always thought the effect could have been heightened by the sound of hobnail boots marching out to the parade ground, followed by a single volley of shots. As Vince Lombardi said, Losing = Death.

There were no fancy graphics in the "Panzer General" briefing for losers. They weren't needed. Cued by the music and words of admonishment, your imagination worked perfectly to drive home the reality of failure in warfare. Anyone who's seen the fate of Robert Vaughn at the end of "The Bridge at Remagen" knows what to envision.

Now being a loyal and somewhat productive member of the CM community, I suggested this type of punishment for failure in CM to BTS before CMBO was completed. They said they were open to suggestions back then, but nonetheless politely refused my suggestion as not being in harmony with their vision of the game.

Well sure, I'll admit that BTS knows a lot about making a realistic tactical war game, but what do they know that we don't about the sad effects of losing, eh?? I mean, as regular CM players who don't have much else going, I believe we have in this community a vast encyclopedic knowledge of losing that's just waiting to be tapped. Yes, some even understand losing to the point of ulitimate, soul-crushing defeat... Kinda like being a clone of Seanachai or Mace... If you're reading this far, I think you might even be qualified yourself to help us out here.

So what do you think the appropriate punishment for losing in CM should be? Can somebody come up with a suitable losing mod?

After all, losing is important. It deserves to handled better. I just know we have the experts in the CM community to get the job done right. We can't expect the winners at BTS to ever understand, but we can expect some brilliant contributions from the whiners here in the CM forum. Everyone should do what they do best, right? Let's have some suggestions for punishing CM losers from those who understand it best.

----------------------------------

Edited to add Mace as a specific example of the Ultimate Loser.

[ December 20, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Lawyer ]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, A "Hall Of Shame" sticky thread would be perfect!! Every loss to a human should be reported there by the loser. No other posting should be done to the "Thread of Disgrace". It should be a complete disgrace to post there....a totally shunned thread where losers, completely broken and defeated, humble themselves before the community and record their failure for all time.

I prefer Sig ownership as the ultimate demonstration of the worthlessness of my opponents.

As yet, I haven't finished any CM:AK games, so my Sig is sad and lonely - but soon it will be stuffed to the gills with cretins who tried to crush me and were forced to lap up their own face-melting, molten TNT and puss.

Anyway, isn't being a Lawyer punishment enough for losing?

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I think just being you would be loss enough.

Why punish yourself further?

Mace

Because it will be a law on this forum that's why!!

For the loser it might be enough, but the victor HA, i mean rubbing it in is all what this game is about!! </font>