What games do you play besides Combat Misson?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing a LOT of IL2:FB recently. Back to my very first love, flight sims. The models are kinda screwed, but it's nice to see the uberFinn legend lives on; try flying one of them English Chainsaws (aka Hurricanes) against I-16s and see what happens... I don't think 8 rifle calibre MGs can saw off a wing with a 2-second burst.

Well, I play a great deal of CMBB single player and a few Multi-player games with some of my friends.

I get the odd CMBO game in every once in a while.

In no particular order, I also play;

"Operation Flashpoint", and official add-ons (waiting for the Invasion 1944 Mod to come out)

"Vietcong"

"IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles" (looking forward to the "Barbarossa" Mission pack)

I also play a great deal of "World War II Online" (WWIIOL). Okay, it probably eats up most of my gaming time...

Its got both its high points and low points, but it does keep getting better every patch. The armour model (in my opinion) by far and away is better than than the one in "Panzer Elite", which I have - but no longer play. I find WWIIOL a really fun game, when your playing with friends and have voice comms, but only moderately fun by myself. That having been said, I have absolutely no desire to join a clan or squad.

I'm also beta testing "Star Wars Galaxies".

...wow...I just realized that I don't sleep much.

Its hard to keep track of all of the recent games I've played and finished, or found lacking and turfed into my dusty collection of un-loved games. ;)

Well, when I am not playing CM I am being assimilatd into the world dominating Halo borg. Yes, incase you did not know Halo is taking over the world. Just you wait. smile.gif

As everyone knows, I play quite a bit of Halo now adays, but never alone. Its always with a group of friends playing CTF or deathmatch.

Besides Halo there isnt much. I have always been a fan of RPG's and I am trying out Morrowind right now. Its a nice break between PBEM's.

Chad

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Malakovski:

Heh, heh, glad to see someone else suffering from the ol' Imperialism addiction. I was on it like crack for awhile....good while it lasted.

Plays fairly nicely, doesn't it? Almost the right amount of complexity so that it isn't quite mindless, yet I don't feel like I need to spend half an hour figuring out each turn. Imp II was nice, but I think they went a bit too far in adding complexity. And anyway, I like the time period of Imp I better for that kind of game. I wish somebody would go back and redo Imp I, removing the bugs and correcting the conceptual errors, but I don't expect that to happen.

Michael </font>

I have been into counter´strike some time but realised it's a kiddy game and people need to cheat to be good and gain satisfaction outta the game. How pathetic!!! It's so awesome, that you can't cheat in Combat Mission. Now that i've grown more mature CM is the game I play most. But I'm always open for some good ego-shooter action like Half-Life 2 for which I will need a new PC, which will compute my turns WAY faster than my old one. btw best game ever played: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Hi,

Mostly I have been playing CMBO and CMBB but I have also been playing World War II Online by Cornered Rat Software (CRS), Warbirds III, Medal Of Honor: AA and Spearhead, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, The Last Express and Ghost Recon. (I have a Mac.)

Wow, no one's playing Hearts of Iron?? I just bought it two weeks ago (waited for the 1.04 patch - breathlessly for 6 mo.) and I can't get enough! Anyone who put it away before - try it again with the Stony Road mod. Last night SU stabbed me in the back just as I was beginning my invasion of France. Memel and Konigsburg have fallen!

It is an amazingly complex game. I followed the development closely, and in one of those rare moments of wisdom, I determined not to buy it until the major fixes were patched. With a game this huge it was inevitable there would be teething problems. Now, however, it is very close to the perfect grand strategy game IMO.

I would also second the Double Your Pleasure mod for CIV III since I played that before HOI came out.

Also, skeptically waiting the MOO3 patch. I bought the game and played it religiously for two weeks before I realized how ridiculous the underlying mechanics were.

That's it. I'm not really even looking forward to anything - maybe Combat Leader from Matrix (I was a big fan of SP:WaW) but I am going to wait and see the reception for that $70 game. Is anything else good in the pipeline in the way of war/strategy games?

Man, there's just less and less time for this stuff... thankfully, it's cocktail hour.

Most recent time investment (Besides CMBB, of course) was Star Fleet Command 3, 6 months ago. Fun though.

My friends and I would occasionally get ripped and run the IL-2 demo on autopilot, betting on which planes would survive, etc. BYOB.

A few years ago, I played Steel Panthers. Alot. In the middle of the night. Even when my British girlfriend would visit the states just to see me. We're not together anymore.

Interesting to hear about the Hearts of Iron patch. Many folks seemed to have given up on it. Seems worth investigating.

I played Panzer Elite for a day. Gold version, updated, I drove a PZ IV L/24 up to a US M5 light tank and fired away repeatedly at point blank range. It rotated it's turret and took me out. Uninstall. Do you wish to completely remove these files? Yes.

Played the WWII: Frontline Commander demo. Look at the little sock puppets shoot each other. Cute, but not cute enough to buy.

Played WWII Online back when it was free. Rumor has it it's fairly decent now - I'm impressed to see them survive if nothing else.

No expectations for Eric Young's Squad Assault - GI Combat was the disappointment of the year for some of us, and this looks like the same. Compounded by Matrix Games decision to not release a demo...

Most Underdeveloped Idea: Fighting Steel, an early 3-D WWII naval combat game by SSI. Destroyer Command ain't the same. One day, someone will create FS with imbedded air and submarine elements, high-polygon models and damage resolution... yeah, that's the stuff. Another beer, anyone?

Would Also Pay For: An updated version of a WW I combat flight sim. Loved Sierra's title (Red Baron or something?) back in the day.

Most Anticipated Title: C1/Maddox's Battlefield Command. No question about the sweet graphics, it's just a matter of whether or not they get the gameplay right. Developer Hint: Make sure the grogs can slow down "real time" in order to control the troops to our satisfaction. And yes, Rome: Total War. Was addicted to Shogun for quite some time (no Japanese girlfriend involved) but haven't been playing Medevial. What can I say. When the bus to hell shows up for you, I'll be driving it.

Should Play More Of But Don't: FPS games. This includes Ghost Recon, Operation Flashpoint, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, et al. Played MOH to the end, but find it difficult to participate in online battles where my brains are being blown out by an eleven year old. Battlefield 1942 is a prime example, though certainly a balanced game.

Ain't Playin' It and Proud Of That Fact: Any CDV product ('cept CMBB now, of course) which includes Sudden Strike (I or II), Blitzkrieg, Cossacks, etc. WHO is that tiny little sock monkey marching through the woods?!? WHAT should I be doing with him?!? Oh, *#?!, he's dead... in fact their ALL dead. They too, are riding the bus to hell with me at the wheel. In CDV's defense, is Codename:Panzers (http://www.panzers.de/) but it looks like a click-fest to me.

Best Technological Swing: BTS' move to OpenGL for the CM2 engine. I noticed WWII Online is doing the same thing, along with others... we're all sick of Direct X and the unstable driver game. The bus to hell will be running over the MS DX folks, full - speed.

Another beer, anyone?

Hpt. Lisse

[ June 08, 2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Hpt. Lisse ]

Personally I'm looking forward to Combat Leader (hasn't been mentioned yet, but it is more or less an improved version of Steel Panthers):

http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/CombatLeader-EastFront/features.asp

Furthermore CMAK, Rome Total War and Steel Beasts 2. Battlefield Command looks very good, but I sincerly doubt they will get the gameplay right. In IL-2 Stormowik Soviet planes are way too good and I doubt they can resist rewriting history again. I put my money on the new-engine CM-series, even when we have to wait for another two, three years.

Originally posted by Hpt. Lisse:

Would Also Pay For: An updated version of a WW I combat flight sim. Loved Sierra's title (Red Baron or something?) back in the day.

Well you are going to get your wish!! Two WWI flight sims are in production right now and are suppose to come out in the near future.

BigMik1

Played WWII Online back when it was free. Rumor has it it's fairly decent now - I'm impressed to see them survive if nothing else.

The game has a nice selection of air, armored units and the control system for the tanks is very nice when compared to Panzer Elite, and still one of the few online games that are enjoyable over a 56K

However, armored and flight models are still very wacked out. Tanks die from pistol shots, aircraft shrug off direct 20mm cannon hits, and Bombs don't do jack unless you get a direct hit. Don't even get me started on the 232. Not to mention the new R&D system. Goodbye weenie tanks, Hello Quank Moble!

Infantry is still running around with nothing but a rifle, SMG, and grenades that have no killing power unless you hit someone with them. Oh, but they are getting knifes. No LMGs or Bazooka's in sight though. Seeing as how they, in the developer's words, would "unbalence" gameplay. :rolleyes:

Gameplay wise, it makes "To the Volga" look organized. Unless you are in a tight nit squad, you usually end up running around like a chicken with your head cut off. Or you spawn into a camped town and get blown away before the screen even loads. The Latter tends to happen a lot :mad:

All in all, a nice idea, but any hard core grog will blow a gasket at the inacuraces. Heck, I find it depressing to boot up CMBB and look at all the wonderful hardware like Short 75mm HC, grenade bundles, Stick Grenades for PAK36, Panzerfausts, Half-Tracks, smoke shells, ect. and then log into WWII Online and have to climb into the back of a truck to assault town while watching HE111s drop their bomb loads for under 200 feet.

P.S. - LMG in 1.3! Free AP40!