Fog-of-War: What setting do you use?

Originally posted by George Mc:

Extreme - but sometimes no FOW when first playtesting a scenario I'm working on so I can see what the AI is doing.

I had a question about that some time ago, and the forum came to the conclusion that it was not a god idéa for scenario construction; because the AI will see what you are doing as well and react according to that.

Sad, because it could have been a wonderful tool :(

BTW - extreme!

Well, it depends on the circumstances and the battle.

Would this be a situation where either side's air units would have good reconaissance of the enemy? So extreme might be inappropriate.

Certainly extreme for partisan battles, and likely for or heavily wooded areas. But not necessarily for steoppes, open farms and fields.

I try to adjust it according to what I deem more realistic for that particular scenario.

Way back when, I tried the CMBO demo Valley of Trouble with no fog of war. My FOs were immediately targeted by the Germans and destroyed pretty quickly. It took me a while to figure out that playing on a "harder" setting like full fog of war actually made the game easier in some respects.

Since then, it's been full (CMBO) or extreme(others) for me.

It would be really nice to have a play testing setting that allowed you to see all of the AI's actions but prevented the AI from observing your's.

Originally posted by Sgt AA:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by George Mc:

Extreme - but sometimes no FOW when first playtesting a scenario I'm working on so I can see what the AI is doing.

I had a question about that some time ago, and the forum came to the conclusion that it was not a god idéa for scenario construction; because the AI will see what you are doing as well and react according to that.

Sad, because it could have been a wonderful tool :(

BTW - extreme! </font>

Me, I used to only play extreme FOW until I realized none of my mods were showing up in the game because in extreme FOW the AI mostly only 'sees' generic PzIVs and Tigers. I'd have to wait for the end of the game to go back to the map and see which vehicle type i was actually fighting against!

So for me its been 'Full' FOW more and more often.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Me, I used to only play extreme FOW until I realized none of my mods were showing up in the game because in extreme FOW the AI mostly only 'sees' generic PzIVs and Tigers. I'd have to wait for the end of the game to go back to the map and see which vehicle type i was actually fighting against!

So for me its been 'Full' FOW more and more often.

Especially a PITA with infantry mods. How many times I have had to make additional mods to cover the mis-IDed units that appear in game.

• 2 weeks later...

Always Extreme FOW for more realism (fun).

In scenario testing I rather prefer to place elite snipers in good concealment cover at key locations to watch the enemy (AI) movements. As mentioned before, the AI reacts strongly to what it sees and with FOW = None, testing results differ largely from a game played with FOW Full/Extreme. :eek: