Explain this

One of the guys at the Proving grounds has a problem with a QB map, particularly in the setup, so I offered to help. He sent me the map, which was titled "PP_Tankovyi Desant".

I d/l it into the QB map folder, started a QB, chose random everything except force size (1000 pts) and to purchase the units myself. I bought about a company's worth of Russian infantry along with some other odds and ends, then stated the game.

Here is what I got:

setup0rl.th.jpg

This is how the infantry was deployed for setup. Note that this is an entire Russian Mot Company. There is no way any of us could stack that many units that tightly.

Here it is at 10 seconds:

10seconds2gm.th.jpg

At 20 seconds:

20seconds3ne.th.jpg

Note how the force is shaking out, but the main clump is moving as a group, dropping off a unit at a time

Finally, here it is at 60 seconds:

60seconds8vi.th.jpg

How bizzare is that? Can anyone offer an explanation for this?

BTW, I should add that the same thing happened to the German side, with 2 field guns and a reinforced platoon clumped together at setup.

What is really strange is that the map is plenty big (1920 x 1840) for the computer to deploy the

two sides, plus both have wide open setup zones. The computer doesn't utilize either zone, but just finds a spot somewhere on the map to stack the infantry.

[ June 07, 2006, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Kingfish ]

Originally posted by Kingfish:

One of the guys at the Proving grounds has a problem with a QB map, particularly in the setup, so I offered to help. He sent me the map, which was titled "PP_Tankovyi Desant".

Hi Kingfish

That map. Is is based on a scenario called Tankovyi Desant? I've a scenario by that name so I could send him if he likes the actual plain map to check out? Email address in my profile.

Cheers fur noo

George

Originally posted by George Mc:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

Hi Kingfish

That map. Is is based on a scenario called Tankovyi Desant? I've a scenario by that name so I could send him if he likes the actual plain map to check out? Email address in my profile.

Cheers fur noo

George </font>

Kingfish,

This is an undocumented feature of CMBB which simulates a real Soviet innovation.

In order to keep their men warm in extreme winter conditions, Soviet units would have their men all grip a rope. They would then "wrap" themselves around the first man. He would be warmest. The inner layers would retain heat. The outer layer, of course, would be cold. Every so often they would unwrap, change positions, and rewrap. In this manner the entire unit would endure what would have been man-killing temperatures.

Obviously, your unit was practicing, even though it isn't winter. This shows excellent leadership skills. Carry on.

Regards,

Ken

Originally posted by Jim1954:

I saw something like this happen before. It was when editing map setup zones and instead of graying them all, out I accidentally left 1 as a valid setup tile. It sure was crowded in there.

Looked a lot like your screenshots.

I second this. Same reason, same effect over here.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Joachim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jim1954:

I saw something like this happen before. It was when editing map setup zones and instead of graying them all, out I accidentally left 1 as a valid setup tile. It sure was crowded in there.

Looked a lot like your screenshots.

I second this. Same reason, same effect over here.

Gruß

Joachim </font>

No, it's not the setup zone, that I am sure of.

Here is another screenshot of the same map but with a new QB:

russiansetup2vw.th.jpg

The units have been scaled up to 4X. As you can see there is plenty of room in the setup zone.

Note the location of the infantry stack, and the vehicles closer to the map edge. The computer places the infantry and vehicles in the exact same spot on the map, no matter how many new QBs you start. Note also their orientation.

This kind of group hug happens, when the orientation of the initial map is opposite to the default set up.

I don't play CMBB, but in CMAK the default set-up zones are on the east edge for allies and on the west edge for the bad guys.

If you make a scenario with the sides inverted and use the map later in a QB, the AI controlled side will go berzerk.

You can solve it, by changing the orientation of the map with Pyewacket's map converter.

Originally posted by McAuliffe:

This kind of group hug happens, when the orientation of the initial map is opposite to the default set up.

I don't play CMBB, but in CMAK the default set-up zones are on the east edge for allies and on the west edge for the bad guys.

If you make a scenario with the sides inverted and use the map later in a QB, the AI controlled side will go berzerk.

You can solve it, by changing the orientation of the map with Pyewacket's map converter.

I'm having this issue with a Huge CMAK map for a QB at the moment.

I can change the orientation of the map with the map converter, the Allied units ALWAYS end up in the same spot regardless, even when I make those spots water obstacles...

After 4 hours of playing about nothing has solved the issue... :(