Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

13 hours ago, Dynaman216 said:

Not for me.  If there is no viewing that 1min interval over and over it AINT wego.

Well I forgot to mention that feature. A replay feature would be great for unforced pausible realtime as well.

To be clear I started CM playing mainly realtime, but have switched over probably due to growing older haha. And the replays, pbem and better manage ability of larger forces.

But it's still fundamentally a battle which plays out in realtime runtime; if it wasn't I probably wouldn't be interested.

Edited by Lethaface

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

CM's strength isn't wego.  A number of games have wego options.  Its the detailed replay that is the key.  Other games have either no replay or some very diluted version of it that is almost useless.

Yep, replay is key.

I think some other games may intentionally avoid providing that feature because replay would let players discover some of the warts that might otherwise go unnoticed.

It's amazing and worthy of praise that CMx2 holds up so well even despite so many people combing through so many hours of replay footage.

For me personally, there's no way this game would've remained this addictive for this long without the ability to review the action.

Just now, sttp said:

For me personally, there's no way this game would've remained this addictive for this long without the ability to review the action.

Yeah! There is one specific action I have replayed at least ten times...

It's good to know so may people love replay for all the reasons that caused us to include it in the first place.  Since those reasons haven't changed, neither will the concept of replay.  By that I mean we always look at player feedback to see how we can make something better.  Fortunately for lovers of replay, not a single player has suggested that removing it would be an improvement :)

Steve

17 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

By that I mean we always look at player feedback to see how we can make something better. 

Steve

I hope you do… There are so many ideas hanging around for making CM3 even better than CM2… 🤩

11 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

I hope you do… There are so many ideas hanging around for making CM3 even better than CM2… 🤩

Well, you made a good point a while back about the bocage in CM2 not being quite right. It's probably a safe bet that, wherever/whenever the first CM3 game is set, CM3 is probably going to be coming back around to Normandy eventually. So if you have any ideas about how the bocage could be done better in CM3, I'm sure they would be helpful. 

27 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

By that I mean we always look at player feedback to see how we can make something better.

To me the replay system is honestly very good as is. The only thing I've consistently wished for that might be on the easier side to implement is keyboard controls for play, pause, etc. As resolutions and monitor sizes increase, keyboard shortcuts get more and more useful. I played for years, for example, before I realized that the BACKSPACE key deselected troops from the Unit Selection screen, and my god what a difference such a simple little thing makes.

Oh, and yeah, the ability to playback at least a few minutes of action at once would also be great, but surely a lot more challenging to implement.

9 minutes ago, snarre said:

must have WEGO.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that CM3 will have WeGo. I don't know most of the specifics about what CM3 will have. And obviously I can't discuss anything that I do know. But WeGo is a pretty central part of Combat Mission. As far as I am aware no one has remotely implied that it will be going away.

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

It's good to know so may people love replay for all the reasons that caused us to include it in the first place.  Since those reasons haven't changed, neither will the concept of replay.  By that I mean we always look at player feedback to see how we can make something better.  Fortunately for lovers of replay, not a single player has suggested that removing it would be an improvement :)

Steve

I, too, am a replay aficionado and that makes me very happy.

1 hour ago, Centurian52 said:

Well, you made a good point a while back about the bocage in CM2 not being quite right. It's probably a safe bet that, wherever/whenever the first CM3 game is set, CM3 is probably going to be coming back around to Normandy eventually. So if you have any ideas about how the bocage could be done better in CM3, I'm sure they would be helpful. 

I think the simpler way to have a more realistic bocage would be to treat the low bocage in Normandy the same way it is in the other games of the series (that is, crossable) and keep the high bocage impassable (and thereafter it's up to the scenario designers to add relevant gaps in the high bocage hedgerows).

For more realistic bocage terrain, one really needs narrower roads and less geometrical terrain. That will break LOS and completely change the dynamics of fighting.

It makes me happy to read so many positive things here and I share the hope of the developers that this step will secure the future of Combat Mission. As a European there is just one point for me personally, I think this will be the end of my hope to see a BAOR, Bundeswehr and other armies module for CMCW. 

I have a question now that the battlefront store is being discontinued. If you owned CMSF you could get CMSF2 at a discounted price there. Will that still be a thing now that the storefront is shifting over to Slitherine and Steam?

Edited by Imagine

On 8/28/2024 at 11:55 AM, BFCElvis said:

Since Matrix has started selling Battlefront games, you guys have been pretty good at matching Steam sale prices on the Matrix site.  Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case with the current sale.

The reason I bring it up is because the only dlc I am missing is the CMBN Battle Pack 2.  I could easily pick it up on Steam exclusively, but since I have otherwise purchased everything on either Battlefront or Matrix, and thus have a nearly complete collection now on Matrix, I would prefer to buy it there.

On 8/27/2024 at 6:46 PM, JM Stuff said:

Changing codes or working with differents codes will make big difference in the game  for the modders, will they have problems to manage files i mean a .bmp is a .bmp but the others files ?

End users and modders don't have access to any code. Just .bmp files. Nothing changes between installs - other than where the mod files need to be placed.

The only official sanctioned mods are changing skins. The changes to models people have done is not actually supported.

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

... Fortunately for lovers of replay, not a single player has suggested that removing it would be an improvement :)

Steve

Very good to hear!  I've been with Big Time Software & Battlefront from the git-go.  For me, losing wego & replay would be the end of that association... sounds like I'm in it for the long run