Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

"Bloody Bure".

Back to the Bulge but this time with British in the snow with
 "Bloody Bure"

About the map and the project.

The battle of Bure, Belgium is a little known engagement that lasted from January 3rd to January 5th, 1945. It involved the British 13th (Lancashire) Parachute Battalion, the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and the armor of the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry as well as the 23 Hussars.

The Belgium SAS were also involved early on. 

Their opponent are elements of the Panzer Grenadier Regiment 902 supported by armor of the 130 PanzerLehr Regiment Abt. And the 559 Schwere Panzerjager Abt. It was a brutal fight in terrible winter conditions with heavy casualties.

Thank you very much to the excellent detailed and talented job from @dragonwynn with the creation of the map, scenarios and the final campaign.

Each battle uses the same master map but damage has been added to each mission for the immersion factor.

Historically the town was nearly completely destroyed in the 3 day fight.

Jumping from his excellent job from his last new campaign in Afghanistan to the cold little Belgian town in the Bulge, he has helped me create this 4 battles mini campaign. I took the part of modding uniforms, textures, and creation of new berets and helmets. Almost all were reworked, and 3d effects and gear were created to be included in the final download. 

Each unit has their own markings and uniforms for both sides as well as correct vehicle markings. There are mods taken from other excellent modders as well who will be noted in the final package. 

Thank you to @dragonwynn, but also thank you to our friend Phill @kohlenklau, gone from the forum a little too early, who we had the idea to create this scenario or mini campaign almost one year before. 

Now that I found another good talented designer, we are proud to present you these mini campaign, showcasing the British contribution in the Ardennes Offensive, where they suffered heavy casualties.

This is for me an honor, and my way to express my deep respect for the many fallen.

Thank you for all the modders present of the forum that give always the best of themselves, without their contributions these projects would never see the light, thank you to them and many others.

About the mods 
You will have:

The British:

13th Para (Red Devils)

Belguim SAS

Ox and Bucks in white uniforms

Modded armor and uniforms with correct markings from the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry and the 23 Hussars

New favour objects such as hospital tents for immersion

Scout car ambulance to bring your men far away from the battlefield.

The Germans:

Elements of the PzGr Lehr Regiment 902 with modded uniforms and 3d gear.

Armor from Abt. 130 Pz Lehr Regiment and 559 Schwere Panzerjager Abt with correct markings

You will be able to drive Opel Blitz ambulance to bring your wounded on safe place.

Also some favour objects that I did already for CMRT and some added from Mike (@dragonwynn)

Mods include:

Helmets and berets mixed

Snow effects on uniforms

Reworked cold faces

3d effect of weapons and gear

Actual names for most officers, that took part in the battle, thanks to Mike's deep research.

Reworking the SAS jeep and tanks with emblems of units

Milestones

Snowy vehicles and tanks

plus several other things that are still running through our heads...

Credit and thanks go to:

@dragonwynn >for his excellent job and coordination all around.

the modders that I was taking a copy from theirs mods 

@Egger>for the sas jeep

@WimO (kandu) >For the Pz Lehr uniforms

@Ithikial_AU>for the usa snowing uniforms that I took model for the British

@laurent 22 and @Aristoteles >for winterized vehicles

@Vein>for files I took some beautiful textures

@umlaut>for his destroyed buildings

@kohlenklau >to the kind way always ready to help

@benpark >for the help to reworking on m43 cap and helmet with trick and tip

@Bootie >for his kind way to accept the mods to share with all of you.

And all the others that I could forgot.

Soon some screenshots

We hope that you will enjoy it ! 

Mike and JM

Edited by JM Stuff

Thanks guys. JM really out did himself on the mods. The 3d gear and weapons look really nice with the uniforms he did.  I did the vehicle markings and stuff plus built the map. It was hard to find a lot of material on this battle, especially old maps. I used google earth and modified from there with what old pics I could find. But it should give a nice playground to battle through.

Hi guys, thanks for your comments and expectations, we hope to put the link via @Bootie in about 2 or 3 weeks or less, time to do our last tests and possible changes, the game will be tagged for some scenarios and the campaign for sure, this is why we have to make severals tests to avoid confusion

thanks for staying tuned !

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Centurian52 said:

This looks great! I look forward to this one. My initial reaction to The Operations Room video on this battle was "this would make a great Combat Mission scenario!". And it's nice to see that becoming a reality.

Very welcome comments, @Centurian52, It was in my head for over a year, I know this battle and what's more it's one of the only ones where the British can be represented and cover themselves with glory, also quite simply to show that it wasn't just the USA that suffered significant losses, and what's more participated in a crucial moment of the battle, which stopped the advance of the Germans, at this bloody moment of the famous battle of the Bulge.

I didnt have sufficient knowledges to represent and created this mini campaign, very happy, now that I found an expert, like Michael @dragonwynn like the many campaigns that he did, and will do in the future, and his inflexible moments, to created new things, a little like myself, for your guys, for your own pleasure, we will be there, and be awake of yours wishes.

soon you can discover what we mean, thanks for staying tuned !...

Edited by JM Stuff

Here is an update. We are close to finishing this project, wrapping up a few mods and I am still doing mission and map tweaks. Speaking of the map. The same map is used for the entire 4 battle campaign. What I did is for each new battle I have damaged the map in various degrees to simulate the destruction of the town. In reality the entire town was nearly completely destroyed. Hopefully this will add to the immersion.

I also added destroyed vehicles starting on the second mission and going forward to represent vehicles destroyed in the fighting. They will remain in the same place for each consecutive battle. Now you will have to have an open mind as your real fights may have knocked out vehicles in different locations so understand this. I just wanted to add to the immersive factor. Also say a wreck is burning in mission two, when mission three happens the same wreck will have the fire out and be a destroyed hull.

Also we have changed the name of the campaign. It is now called "Fire and Ice: The Battle for Bure". I created some optional Splash and Force Specific Screens that will be included for the campaign that you can add if you want. There is also an intro and end of battle music theme.

JM has done some amazing modding for this campaign and the credit for this project goes to him. The 3d work on uniforms, gear, weapons, terrain and vehicles is awesome in my opinion and really adds to the feel of pulled into this little known conflict. Once again I tried to keep the missions as historical as possible based on what research I could muster but I also tried to keep it in the scope of being playable in CM. All the units are historical but in the last mission I added two platoons of B Company of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry as I felt like at this point the player may need the additional forces. Historically only C Company was involved.

Anyway that's where we are at and hopefully we can release this beast very soon.

Edited by dragonwynn

Here are a few more screen shots showing some of the 3d effects on the vehicles and snow terrain that JM has worked on and some screens of the optional splash and force specific backgrounds.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/0vr6m5rn46r3u92,bb8py8fk8kqwmdb,gvs2b506choxw5f,q8f98i22w85tkwc,ueyakop7pzblk2e/shared

Edited by dragonwynn