Annual look at the year to come - 2023

27 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

The same is true for us.  CMBN crushes all competitors like a King Tiger driving over chocolate cream pie :)  Last time I looked at the numbers CMSF2 was by far our next best seller.

One thing I can say about Eastern Front is that it maintains a constant stream of sales slightly better than the rest of the lot (excluding above two).  Not necessarily a high level on any particular month, but over years it adds up to significant cumulative sales.

Every time I clarify that Eastern Front is not our most popular topic for CM I feel a need to remind people that I am an Eastern Front grog.  I've come to love working with Modern more day to day than Eastern Front, but my heart is still somewhere in Eastern Europe ;)

Steve

That bodes well for CMBS2 I guess.

21 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Eeer.. What do you mean by France terrain? I mean, German and French terrains are quite similar, depending on regions... And Free French forces battled their way through Germany anyway...

Just like I said, can you select a French region in CMFB? AFAIK it is Ardennes and 'Holland'. And I do know about the terrain I have driven through it many times. Last year 'all the way' to the province you reside.

Anyway I was mistaken 'free-french' for resistance fighters. Which would seem a bit out of place outside France imo. 

7 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Anyway I was mistaken 'free-french' for resistance fighters. Which would seem a bit out of place outside France imo. 

That does explain your question which sounded strange out of this context! 😉

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Normandy last year by the way!

8 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

That does explain your question which sounded strange out of this context! 😉

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Normandy last year by the way!

I understand, my mistake :D And now @kohlenklau has even showed me there are actually scenario's in France (which I probably played years ago). Technically I guess the 'Ardennes' are also in France (and Germany) so I was wrong in that aspect as well. 

Anyway sure enjoyed my stay! It was relaxed, with family. We stayed in Asnieres where there live less people compared to the building in which I usually reside. So a good change of pace, nice scenery and good food/wine  to top it off.

Edited by Lethaface

54 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

I am an Eastern Front grog....my heart is still somewhere in Eastern Europe ;)

I've read that a few times and it's good to hear.  Is your love strong enough that it might translate into an early war EF expansion/title?  I guess not, and I think I may also have read that before.

As for the conversation about WW2 versus modern, my signature shows my current allegiance, but I'm increasingly tempted by the other side...

9 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

That was in Normandy? I stayed there also in 2001 with my Dad and son. It was a chateau that SAID that it had been a German Battalion HQ. We had a great time. "Calvados" is intense stuff.

https://www.bienvenueauchateau.com/en/castles/chateau-dasnieres-en-bessin-2/

At the risk of going further off topic (which is my 2nd nature probably), there are several Asnieres I learned on the way there lol. This is the one I meant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asnières,_Eure

Nice chateau! We had a similar accommodation although probably a bit less fancy as in they were still renovating it. I guess that's a good thing because we had to rent the whole building (large group).
And yes the Calvados was nice.

Edited by Lethaface

8 hours ago, Rooks And Kings said:

Sorry I'm swamped with work and I wasn't able to withdraw from the tournament. 

Thanks for responding.

I understand, nothing serious, it's just a game, sorry if the tone seems rude in what follows, need to be concise which does not reflect my perpetual good humor.

I realized that the ghost players were people who are automatically registered for the tournament and are not aware because they are busy with work like you, or traveling, or the PC is down. To avoid polluting this thread with off topic I invite you in the future to read your PMs, I have to talk to you here because you are difficult to reach, I tried to contact you on the Matrix forums too.

I think you can withdraw from the tournament by unsubscribing by email, the one you receive to inform you of your participation in the tournament, or to tell you when to play your turn. Unsubscribe is at the bottom of the email.

It looks like you have a 2nd account on this tournament, the same username ending with a "z", and the opponent of this 2nd account has been kicked out of the tournament as he waited impatiently. You are my 2nd ghost player, after the one in the 1st round, which sometimes makes me want to never come back to the Matrix Slitherine tournaments again. It's the Matrix tournament registration automation system that generates this problem, I don't hold you responsible for it.

Edited by laurent 22

Reading this forum can become exhausting. Just keep up the great work and all will be right with the world. You continue to make (IMHO) the best tactical war game for PC's. It is sort of like Squad Leader with all the burden of play-ability removed. Thanks for all of your effort and hard work at maintaining this level of complexity and reality. You will always have my gratitude (and money) for what you have achieved.

The devil is in the details.😎

3 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Git Gud :D

This is actually a scenario in the current tournament and fwiw I'm having fun with it, as USSR & USA. So far my USSR forces aren't slaughtered.  

Do you know the name of the scenario and who created it? Maybe they will share it and let me give it a try.

4 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Probably going to arrive warm and works out to be $13.50 for each bottle drunk. Ouch. Saying that, this is roughly the price of a pint in many pubs these days.

LOL yeah and Steve has a fridge or at least a snow bank so he can get it cold again.

4 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I also don't drink beer so not the best experienced buyer for you.

I have the same problem: https://xkcd.com/1534/

18 hours ago, SergeantSqook said:
21 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I don't know what kind of emails you're getting from people, but I can't really recognise that "typical customer" from this forum at least

It's literally you

I'm out of likes today but that made me laugh. I was thinking the same thing.

Mind you Steve's worst case:

21 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Years ago I summed up our typical customer:

"Your game sucks!  How do I know this?  Because I've bought and played every release you've ever put out.  I've put in 1000s of hours of gametime.  That's how I know it sucks!" :)

Is a bit of hyperbole - and I should know - Steve probably calls me the hyperbole king since he calls me on it from time to time. And that's not hyperbole - oh well it probably is I'm sure Steve doesn't think about my hyperbole much at all other than when he's reading it and slapping me back for it. Mind you I should point out that it works to get my point across :D

I totally love how in the pages after Steve laid out some different broad groups of customers: WW2 only fans who don't like time spent on the modern titles, Modern fans only who don't like time spent on the WW2 titles, Eastern front fans who don't like time spent on anything other than eastern front, feature fans who want wiz bang instead of content etc. etc. ... and then examples of each magically appeared and had their say.

Most fun I have had in a thread in a long time. That's not hyperbole :)

1 hour ago, IanL said:

I'm out of likes today but that made me laugh. I was thinking the same thing.

You were thinking that I am the kind of customer who says "I played 1000s of hours of this game and that's how I know it sucks"?

Even after I literally said it doesn't suck?

5 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

You were thinking that I am the kind of customer who says "I played 1000s of hours of this game and that's how I know it sucks"?

Don't worry about it 😎....You have been around here long enough to know that anybody who does not think that every thing about this game is just fine tend to get jumped on by some of the other guys around here...

Thats the way it has always been...

26 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

I think it's @George MCs work. 'All is quiet on the Eastern front'.

Aye when the tourney is done I'll release it. I suspect I'll make some changes to it (e.g. extend the time!)- it was done really quickly on a premise! I'd be keen on any feedback so if anyone playing has any I'm all ears.

Edited by George MC

5 minutes ago, George MC said:

Aye when the tourney is done I'll release it. I suspect I'll make some changes to it (e.g. extend the time!)- it was done really quickly on a premise! I'd be keen on any feedback so if anyone playing has any I'm all ears.

So far only positive feedback! But still have quite some time in both. Perhaps make it clear in the Russian briefing / designer notes that USA air support has been heard overhead so they better run / keep that in mind. 
I knew from the mirror aspect and have been lucky to evade the first set of flights, after which part of my CRP met with an enemy combined arms force on the flank. But no decisive engagements yet.

On the other hand my opponent wasn't that lucky and has suffered at the hand of my air force, so his feedback might be different :D. But he'll have his reinforcements still to throw in the fray. 

4 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

So far only positive feedback! But still have quite some time in both. Perhaps make it clear in the Russian briefing / designer notes that USA air support has been heard overhead so they better run / keep that in mind. 
I knew from the mirror aspect and have been lucky to evade the first set of flights, after which part of my CRP met with an enemy combined arms force on the flank. But no decisive engagements yet.

On the other hand my opponent wasn't that lucky and has suffered at the hand of my air force, so his feedback might be different :D. But he'll have his reinforcements still to throw in the fray. 

Brill :) Aye I could also have the air stuff come on as a reinforcement - but making it clear in the briefing also works. I was after extreme violence from the get go as the vibe in this one!

Cheers ta :)

29 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yes, and I know it actually doesn't literally track. Steve also knows there is not really a customer that has a quote exactly like that. It's an exaggeration. So, technically you are right to say "that's not me". However, in the spirit of expectations out of whack with reality is kinda what I was thinking. And I know you and others will likely be offended and I'm sorry but come on. Count the number of posts where you and others complained about a bug not being fixed when it turns out no one had reproduced the problem and therefore it was not a recognized bug at all. Or, also common, it was not broken at all. I'm pretty sure the number of posts like that is greater than one.

17 minutes ago, George MC said:

Brill :) Aye I could also have the air stuff come on as a reinforcement - but making it clear in the briefing also works. I was after extreme violence from the get go as the vibe in this one!

Cheers ta :)

I think you have succeeded in creating the vibe!

I'd vote for keeping the air as it is (non-reinforcement), nice variety of spice trying to evade enemy air instead of trusting on air defense (which does a rather good job usually if not overwhelmed and with enough ammo).