Cold War Holiday Tournament!!!

BFCElvis

4 minutes ago, ALBY said:

I was mistaken when I sent that message.  

I am starting to think you are just a troll. 

you use a helper program and it interfered with the files.  It took a while to figure out. Hence my misunderstanding.

rather than accepting the obvious answer, you’ve chosen to sh*t talk me.

and you are a coward on the battlefield.  So there is that as well. 

Have a nice day. 

I return to you all the characterizations. Frankly, you were the one talking about cheating and being disqualified from Slitherine, so if you want to blame someone just look in the mirror. 

End of story. 

30 minutes ago, jheinrichk said:

I regularly get notifications saying I downloaded the same turn multiple times.  Doesn't seem to impact the pbem++ or any of my turns or opponent's turns....that I'm aware of.  I do play on different PC's depending where I'm at.

I also got some emails with warnings, sometimes I look at the turn but it's too late to play it (or something else comes up) and I quite the game.
I don't see how loading up a file and looking at the turn more than once can be considered cheating. In the end I just made sure to not close the game after loading a file / only load if I was sure I can play. But indeed no impact on our games. 

1 minute ago, Lethaface said:

I also got some emails with warnings, sometimes I look at the turn but it's too late to play it (or something else comes up) and I quite the game.
I don't see how loading up a file and looking at the turn more than once can be considered cheating. In the end I just made sure to not close the game after loading a file / only load if I was sure I can play. But indeed no impact on our games. 

Definitely in Slitherine's forums it is stated so. Why, I do not know. 

PBEM++Server Warning - Slitherine

10 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

how you guys feel about round 3? 

Not the greatest scenario to be honest. I hate having reinforcements suddenly appear in line of fire. The US side is at a serious disadvantage and can more or less just hope for the best. TRPs for Soviets should have been excluded to make it a bit harder to bring down the hammer on the US troops. The only good thing is that my oppo is suffering more than me ;)

It is based on a stock scenario that IIRC is not recommended for H2H play, so..... 😬

Is there any point in exiting units rather than not having them killed? Any difference in score since the scenario is not to be finished?

2 hours ago, rocketman said:

Not the greatest scenario to be honest. I hate having reinforcements suddenly appear in line of fire. The US side is at a serious disadvantage and can more or less just hope for the best. TRPs for Soviets should have been excluded to make it a bit harder to bring down the hammer on the US troops. The only good thing is that my oppo is suffering more than me ;)

It is based on a stock scenario that IIRC is not recommended for H2H play, so..... 😬

Is there any point in exiting units rather than not having them killed? Any difference in score since the scenario is not to be finished?

If we don't finish the scenario then we don't get penalised for not exiting stuff. But exiting stuff = not removing targets and not letting your oppo kill em! It's all about killing more of his guys than he's killing your guys...

8 hours ago, Butschi said:

Much the same as rounds 1 and 2. Ghosted, again. 😔

Good for you!, The round 3 scenario feels like a torture. 

Well, got be more polite. This one looks like a fun scenario in single player mode, but it is not a good idea to pick this in a PBEM

With Soviet BMP-2s park in front of the place where the US reinforcement pop up, I lost the interests to play the game, I just hit done after opening the file in the last couple turns. 

On 2/28/2023 at 10:13 AM, Lethaface said:

Anyone know who is Kees ? Going on his name he seems to be a fellow countrymen but don't know if he's on the forum (he seems to have missed start round 3)

That would be me. I messaged you on discord - or someone who goes by the same name anyways - that I'd be away for a few days. Should perhaps have messaged you here. Anyways, we're underway now.

I agree this battle isn't ideal for non-blind tournament play; it's relatively open and most reinforcements come in the map at a fixed position/time, which is in view of the enemy.

My opponent wisely chose to use the information available to him and I followed the example :D. However it's not really a tactical game now, more like a game of 'order area fire where reinforcements spawn'. 

Of course the specific made scenario's are best for a tournament, but for existing maps I think it's good to choose a scenario (or QB?) which don't need 'houserules' or playing blind to shine.

@BFCElvis I noticed something strange, during the battle my USSR AA HQ (which had an Igla which is why I remembered) has disappeared. No casualty to be seen, plus there was no artillery / air / scouts in play yet when they did disappear. I ordered them (HQ + 2x Igla troopers) to dismount the BMP and later I couldn't find the HQ. 
On the US side there was an FDC vehicle, arriving dismounted. That has also disappeared, fwiw the FDC crew had perished by the time I noticed the vehicle disappeared.

Fortunately these have zero to none impact on the game played, but still strange so thought to mention it here.

Edited by Lethaface

2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

@BFCElvis I noticed something strange, during the battle my USSR AA HQ (which had an Igla which is why I remembered) has disappeared. No casualty to be seen, plus there was no artillery / air / scouts in play yet when they did disappear. I ordered them (HQ + 2x Igla troopers) to dismount the BMP and later I couldn't find the HQ. 

I just gave mine the dismount orders. I'll keep an eye on mine. Anyone else see this?

2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

On the US side there was an FDC vehicle, arriving dismounted. That has also disappeared, fwiw the FDC crew had perished by the time I noticed the vehicle disappeared.

Fortunately these have zero to none impact on the game played, but still strange so thought to mention it here.

Accidentally moved to exit zones?