Cold War Holiday Tournament!!!

BFCElvis

6 hours ago, ALBY said:

There is no word from the slitherine ticket system and no help from battlefront on this issue. 

i doesn't look like there will be a fix.

Maybe they are working on it. I believe that issues like that are a show-stopper for the feature in subject (online tourney) so I can not imagine that they will just let it go. 

Edited by cargol

@BFCElvis can anyone assist us or is there no fix for this?

the exact problem is that slitherine sent me Soviet turn 4 that is actually a PBEM file from another non-tournament game my oppo is playing. He was awarded 17005 points and I was awarded 6520 presumably based on the score in that game. 

I put a ticket in with slitherine on Sunday evening. no response  

Thank you 

Edited by ALBY

44 minutes ago, ALBY said:

@BFCElvis can anyone assist us or is there no fix for this?

the exact problem is that slitherine sent me Soviet turn 4 that is actually a PBEM file from another non-tournament game my oppo is playing. He was awarded 17005 points and I was awarded 6520 presumably based on the score in that game. 

I put a ticket in with slitherine on Sunday evening. no response  

Thank you 

I will reach out to them and see if they have any idea

A question about scoring.  If I have my opponent pinned down and he can't get off the map, will I get as many points stopping him from getting off the map as I would if I went in and attempted to destroy him?  Not sure its worth risking my forces if I get the same points either way.

On 2/3/2023 at 4:50 PM, Probus said:

A question about scoring.  If I have my opponent pinned down and he can't get off the map, will I get as many points stopping him from getting off the map as I would if I went in and attempted to destroy him?  Not sure its worth risking my forces if I get the same points either way.

As we’re not playing till the end the ‘normal’ exit points conditions won’t count. So basically each side does their best to give the other a good kicking! The US will only get points for killing Soviet stuff. The Soviets will not be penalised for not exiting. 

27 minutes ago, George MC said:

As we’re not playing till the end the ‘normal’ exit points conditions won’t count. So basically each side does their best to give the other a good kicking! The US will only get points for killing Soviet stuff. The Soviets will not be penalised for not exiting. 

Ah. Ok, thanks George. That makes it simple. 

4 hours ago, George MC said:

Ohhhh...I thought that was last round only. My Soviet plan is now a death trap :(

Is the word out to all involved that we shouldn't play the last turn? Or exit units?

1 hour ago, rocketman said:

Is the word out to all involved that we shouldn't play the last turn? Or exit units?

Oh good point - but I bravely drove my Soviets to their deaths so makes no odds to me...

I assumed we were not playing the last turn but don't quote me. @BFCElviswill have the word.

Ekvis did post this earleir in this thread: 

Either way I've cooked my Soviet goose! Not much left to exit cept the panicked, scorched and shattered survivors of my AFVs...

Edited by George MC

On 1/29/2023 at 9:26 AM, Lethaface said:

I think you already got in contact with the official reporting 'system' @BFCElvis😉

Perhaps the 'Who's turn is it' interfered with the PBEM++ functionality? @IanL wrote that AFAIK (as in wrote the code). Maybe he can theorize about it with some more evidence/knowledge.

what was the reason to assign cmcw automated tourney pbem to a third party file management app like wtii or cmhelper? is there a local folder where apps can pick up the incoming/outgoing? seems duplicative to do so.

unrelated, my cmhelper broke some time ago and i can't figure out how to fix.  anyone have any experience with windows power automate desktop? 

1 hour ago, George MC said:

I'm impressed you have Soviet stuff still moving able to exit - mine's is having errr....mechanical issues... ;) 

The emphasis is on ”the opportunity”…

I’m still dreaming that my master plan will work out somehow, but realistically, no it won’t.

Would be fun though to make a beeline for the exit zone, guns blazing, taking out as much as possible in the process.

20 hours ago, jheinrichk said:

what was the reason to assign cmcw automated tourney pbem to a third party file management app like wtii or cmhelper? is there a local folder where apps can pick up the incoming/outgoing? seems duplicative to do so.

Lol I think there was some miscommunication. Elvis asked whether those that had problems with the tournament used CMH, one said he uses Whose Turn is It. Since I knew IanL developed that I thought to tag him.

It's certainly NOT recommended to assign CMH / WTII to any PBEM++ file. 

I use CMCW Steam for PBEM++ and a BFC install for CMH. Accidentally but seems like a good setup to keep around.

20 hours ago, jheinrichk said:

unrelated, my cmhelper broke some time ago and i can't figure out how to fix.  anyone have any experience with windows power automate desktop? 

I did once have issues with CMH as well but managed to fix it somehow. I forgot how though, but I googled and this came up:
https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/cm-helper-problem.31584/

Maybe that's of use to fix CMH for you.

On 2/7/2023 at 6:55 PM, Lethaface said:

Lol I think there was some miscommunication. Elvis asked whether those that had problems with the tournament used CMH, one said he uses Whose Turn is It. Since I knew IanL developed that I thought to tag him.

It's certainly NOT recommended to assign CMH / WTII to any PBEM++ file. 

I use CMCW Steam for PBEM++ and a BFC install for CMH. Accidentally but seems like a good setup to keep around.

I did once have issues with CMH as well but managed to fix it somehow. I forgot how though, but I googled and this came up:
https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/cm-helper-problem.31584/

Maybe that's of use to fix CMH for you.

Dude, I never said that I use Whos turn is it with PBEM++,  I think somewhere along the way you mixed it up.

16 minutes ago, cargol said:

Dude, I never said that I use Whos turn is it with PBEM++,  I think somewhere along the way you mixed it up.

Lol I never said you 'assigned WTII' to your PBEM++ files. You just said you used it, I asked Ianl if he thought it could mix things up. He said no. That's it.
Anything else is in people's imagination.

I happened to have my PBEM++ on a separate install from my CMH install (I have never used WTII) and without knowing what's causing the issue that seems to be a 'safe' setup.

Edited by Lethaface

On 1/17/2023 at 10:31 PM, jackal263 said:

We were unfortunate in this battle... Anyway it was fun, to this point we arrived... I also don't like the mirror system for the reason explained before, and also for the lack of surprise about enemy force composition.. I think future tournaments should consider the possibility to play maybe an attck map with US, an attack map with Soviets and a meeting engagement with random side. That would surely be better, unless there is the possibility to select force composition at start.

Hi dude! New PC has arrived. I can continue our tournament:)

However I noticed I can't continue the Round 1 game(can't upload files) . Is that because is it because it's already over the tournament time limit?

Edited by IdontknowhowtodoX

2 hours ago, IdontknowhowtodoX said:

Hi dude! New PC has arrived. I can continue our tournament:)

However I noticed I can't continue the Round 1 game(can't upload files) . Is that because is it because it's already over the tournament time limit?

@ IdontknowhowtodoX Hi ! Unfortunately round 1 is over (there is about 1 month to end both battles), and round 2 is already started (about two weeks to close that turn, also)... Howewer I would like to continue our battles (not important if not in the tournament environment)... but there is no way to get the files... at least i can't see them anymore... if you still have them on your pc, try to save them in order to resume that battles when the tournamet is over. Let me know !

In any case, in the next weeks, we could start a quick battle, if you like the idea... I liked our games!

Edited by jackal263

On 2/7/2023 at 9:02 PM, Probus said:

Does anyone ( @BFCElvis ) know, if your opponent stops returning turns 1/2 way through, will they be disqualified for the next round?

My suggestion is that after the first round in a tournament, the bottom 10-20% of players are cut. Likely those who didn't start or finish their games or those who got beaten badly and probably will have a hard time winning (harsh, I know). Having players, for one reason or another who don't do their part, remain for round two will just make another player angry. In my first round my oppo just played a handful of rounds. Annoying. Never was told why.

34 minutes ago, rocketman said:

My suggestion is that after the first round in a tournament, the bottom 10-20% of players are cut. Likely those who didn't start or finish their games or those who got beaten badly and probably will have a hard time winning (harsh, I know). Having players, for one reason or another who don't do their part, remain for round two will just make another player angry. In my first round my oppo just played a handful of rounds. Annoying. Never was told why.

That’s a good idea, but it should prolly be just the opponent that doesn’t return the game(s). No need penalizing the victim opponent. 

3 hours ago, Probus said:

That’s a good idea, but it should prolly be just the opponent that doesn’t return the game(s). No need penalizing the victim opponent. 

I thought about that too, depends on the scoring system, but someone who completes the game may score zero points or very low. Beaten to a pulp ;)

23 hours ago, jackal263 said:

@ IdontknowhowtodoX Hi ! Unfortunately round 1 is over (there is about 1 month to end both battles), and round 2 is already started (about two weeks to close that turn, also)... Howewer I would like to continue our battles (not important if not in the tournament environment)... but there is no way to get the files... at least i can't see them anymore... if you still have them on your pc, try to save them in order to resume that battles when the tournamet is over. Let me know !

In any case, in the next weeks, we could start a quick battle, if you like the idea... I liked our games!

Ok, I'll try saving the file, although I don't know if that will work. QB game is good. I really didn't do well in the Round 1. I hope I can do better if I come to another QB.