Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

AMD 22.8 series breaks game again

Bufo

8 hours ago, Artkin said:

Not fine then. You should be able to load any map that's 4x4km without issue.

It's all context, last year we couldnt even play anything due to white screen flashing on explosions, the game wouldn't boot without a black screen. So its not perfect but its fine considering what the last two years have been for us AMD users.

Good day everyone,
with latest Adrenaline AMD driver (24.7.1) I get this error when I try to launch any Combat Mission game (tried Red Thunder and Combat Mission Fortress Italy).

"Error: could not initialize OpenGL graphics. Please update your OpenGL drivers." 

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there a solution? Game launched from Steam.

6 hours ago, badipaddress said:

Good day everyone,
with latest Adrenaline AMD driver (24.7.1) I get this error when I try to launch any Combat Mission game (tried Red Thunder and Combat Mission Fortress Italy).

"Error: could not initialize OpenGL graphics. Please update your OpenGL drivers." 

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there a solution? Game launched from Steam.

I can launch CM:CW and CM:BS on 24.7.1, but larger maps leads to "Out of memory" error. Performance is down the drain also.

The 22.6.1 driver released in June 2022 appears to be the last AMD driver that was fully compatible with CMx2.  Every driver released since then has had issues with these games.

Fortunately, I don't own any games that require the latest drivers.  So, using a 2+ year old driver has so far not been an issue.  Still, this is probably my last AMD card because it's clear that the issues CMx2 has with their cards will likely not be addressed.  Ensuring that these niche games with their "ancient" engine will run issue free on their cards is obviously not a priority.

Nvidia users seem to have no issues running these games.

12 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

You could also dual-boot two Windows installations.

Yeah, just what I want to do, take another 20-60 GB of space for a dual-boot to have a roll-back driver version to play a handful of legacy games (that I enjoy) to address AMD and Battlefront's refusal to fix their products.  Redwolf, your constant "Fanboy" comments covering for Battlefront are just over the top (Hey, lets all use Linux with Wine!!). You must be on their payroll....

Edited by LeBlaque

2 hours ago, LeBlaque said:

Redwolf, your constant "Fanboy" comments covering for Battlefront are just over the top (Hey, lets all use Linux with Wine!!). You must be on their payroll....

I am not sure Steve or John would describe me as a fanboi :)

The Linux thing - it might actually make AMD graphics work correctly with CMx2. Problem is that nobody tried. Myself I don't have AMD graphics so I can't try it for myself.

2 hours ago, LeBlaque said:

You must be on their payroll....

1. Their payroll is not that big. IIRC Steve said that Battlefront has about half a dozen full time employees. When people say that BFC is a small company, they mean very small.

2. Accusing people of being on a payroll is what conspiracy theorists do. You've basically just lost any right to be taken seriously.

17 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

I am not sure Steve or John would describe me as a fanboi :)

I think I may be a fanboi, can I get on the payroll?

Anyway I think the discussion of the problem and suggested solutions are the important meat in the sandwich here.

On 8/27/2024 at 10:18 PM, Jiggathebauce said:

Maybe with this now being a slitherine/matrix franchise there can be some elevation of this issue for AMD or slitherine tech support

I doubt it. Radio silence from all parties it seems.

3 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

Slitherine is not some massive company.  They are themselves fairly small.  Estimates are between $1M and $5M.  I would bet closer to $5M and 50 employees.  IOW, they aren't going to have that much more influence over a $20B company.

They could choose to assign a programmer to replace some calls in CMx2, though.

Of course then something else doesn't get done.

I also don't think they have any real in-house programmers.  They are a publisher.  They mainly distribute, market, and invest. 

They might have someone maintaining the PBEM system, but doubt they have many internal resource to do it.  Thats no different than BFC.  I suspect that the age of the infrastructure of CM precludes an easy fix from the CM side of things, regardless of who owns it now.  Think thats especially true with a roadmap leading to Unity on their minds.

My point is that Slitherine is no large company with resources just lying about on the bench.  BFC probably has more direct coding resources than they do.

On 8/14/2024 at 3:26 AM, Redwolf said:

You can try under Linux with Wine or one of the variants. Wine with Mesa has full libraries for OpenGL from the beginning.

Question is how CMx2 is doing on Wine these days. There was a patch floating around that was needed.

I have now personally gotten into desperation, and I am currently trying to sell my 7900 XTX as I have lost hope for the issue to be resolved. Back to Nvidia. Problem is noone wants the AMD card of me, guess they're all into CM as well 🤔 If I cant sell my AMD card at a reasonable price, maybe I'll have to try this approach, but the question is how? Is there a detailed guide somewhere?

20 minutes ago, Fote said:

I have now personally gotten into desperation, and I am currently trying to sell my 7900 XTX as I have lost hope for the issue to be resolved. Back to Nvidia. Problem is noone wants the AMD card of me, guess they're all into CM as well 🤔 If I cant sell my AMD card at a reasonable price, maybe I'll have to try this approach, but the question is how? Is there a detailed guide somewhere?

I would take an external harddrive or SSD and install Linux Mint. Then you install Wine with their package manager. Then you copy an unpacked (already installed) CM tree to the Linux HD. Then you try to start it and hope for the best. If Wine in Mint is still missing the CM patch I will help you.

You should probably use the Matrix version of CM, not BFC's, because of the less aggressive copy protection. Or install Steam for Linux. I never tried Steam on Linux myself but it is supposed to be smooth.

16 hours ago, Fote said:

I made the same decision couple of month ago. I had 6700XT, took me over 4 months to sell it and it wasn't easy. Bought RTX 4070 which are not that expensive anymore. Lesson learned, never again AMD card :)