Different engines for each game??

Hello. I’m looking to get back into CM after being off for over a decade.  (I was a diehard CMx1 fan. Bought CMSF couldn’t get into it. Then had some life circumstances change where I couldn’t game like before)

can someone list out which engine each game is currently running on?  And is there a gameplay difference between any of the WWII games -  other than available units?

thanks for the help!!

All are using game engine 4.0.

Biggest differences would be units, and "content" (numbers of DLC, scenarios, and campaigns included).  Take a look at the thread for some good discussion on pros/cons, what's included, what can be done with each title (including the modern ones).

Dave

20 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

All are using game engine 4.0.

Biggest differences would be units, and "content" (numbers of DLC, scenarios, and campaigns included).  Take a look at the thread for some good discussion on pros/cons, what's included, what can be done with each title (including the modern ones).

Dave

Thanks!  This is the info I was looking for

3 minutes ago, dkchapuis said:

Trying all the demos would be faster than asking people that know if there are gameplay differences???

I see what you're saying there 😉.  The other thing is that the demos are generally Engine 3 so not the current Engine 4.  But it is a great way to try them.

In my opinion, the gameplay is generally the same, at least in the WW2 titles which is all I have.  But the different units, weapons, terrain, historical setting etc etc makes them feel a lot different.  And if you're playing the scenarios and campaigns then that adds an extra level of how the designers of these things worked with what was available (and they usually do an excellent job!).  Not to mention Mods by some very talented folk here, which expand titles in time, location, weapons...

For me I started with RT, then BN, then FB, then FI and I don't regret any of them.  Not sure if the same order applies to hours in each game 🤔.  As others have said before, go with the one that interests you the most and then you'll probably get the others later 👍.

18 hours ago, dkchapuis said:

if there are gameplay differences???

The only one I know of is that in the WW2 titles Red Thunder and Final Blitzkrieg the infantry can ride on the tanks while in Battle for Normandy they can't. I'm pretty sure that the infantry can ride on the tanks in the more modern day games. Apart from that difference I think there's only the weapons and kind of air support that is the difference between the games.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:38 AM, kohlenklau said:

Try the demos

How would that help?  1) He would have to go play every demo of every game and be able to note the differences.  2) Not all demos are on the current engine.

Also, I guess your first stab at being helpful was so goo you just had to do it a second time.

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

How would that help?

Yes, Try the demos 

To me that is very helpful to suggest to play the demos. They are all free. You get to see something about the game. Some folks are unaware they even exist. 

Maybe then combined with a bunch of other people's various and differing opinions, I guess the poster can flip a coin and buy a game.

uggggh

This is I think the 3rd or 4th of these type "What game should I buy?" posts in recent weeks. No offense to folks asking at all! Try the demos!

@Ultradave was smart and sent the link to a previous lengthy mish mash of opinions for a potential buyer.

I think these games can be like 4 different flavored soups. Then the engine change is maybe just some new broth ingredient added to enhance the quality of the soup in general. But they all are still different flavored in the vibe they give. So, trying the demos to me is a good way to get the personal feel for that vibe even if not with the latest engine upgrade. In fact it might make you happier because you then see the upgrade with a fresh memory of playing the demo that didn't have the upgrade.

Take care! ...and Try the demos 🕵️‍♀️

EDIT: In my goodybox are the pdf manuals for all the WW2 titles and the engine manuals. Download them and have fun and look them over.

Edited by kohlenklau

Thats not what he is asking.  Did you read and understand it?  He wants to know what the differences are between all the game engines.  You can't get that from the demos because not all of them are up to date.  Plus the differences might not even show up in the couple of scenarios.  Much of those differences don't even show up in the manual.

So three times with the same not very useful suggestion to someone trying to work their way into the game. 

31 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

So three times with the same not very useful suggestion to someone trying to work their way into the game. 

That is not work at all, apparently you're his self-appointed representative, fine, that is some kind of put it all on a silver spoon request. He was told right away they are all engine 4. He also wanted an answer to how the games play differently? I said Try the demos. What the f is wrong with that approach? He basically said he would rather have it all described in words versus taking time so he could try them himself for free. I got it.  

Try the demos

On 3/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, kohlenklau said:

This is I think the 3rd or 4th of these type "What game should I buy?" posts in recent weeks. No offense to folks asking at all! Try the demos!

I’ve never understood the forum-police mentality of getting frustrated at people for asking questions on a forum.  

And fyi - I Scrolled through the first three pages of this forum. Not one other “what game should I buy thread”. So there is that too…

one other thing. I downloaded and played a demo - but I can’t get Into games against AI. Never could play CMx1 against AI either. Human vs human is the only way I will enjoy this game. 

final thought- another great thing about forums is that some people enjoy being asked questions so they can sharing their opinions. 

to those that were helpful - thanks!!

Edited by dkchapuis

Ask or not, answer or not, how many times, forum police or not, none of it matters. Try the demos is usually good advice prior to a purchase - an option that is a rarity in gaming these days. Which titles are you most interested in buying and what are your hopes and expectations of each? People with more knowledge and game time than me can answer these specific questions very reliably when you consider they are expressing their preferences.

Back in the day I pre-ordered CMSF and didn't really play it for over a year due to its state. At some point in the patching process I was satisfied enough with the purchase to pre-order all the expansions as they were released. Not because I thought the games were perfect, but because I was invested in the vision. My preferences probably are irrelevant to you even though I own all the games/expansions and when I play (I am currently on sabbatical) I rarely play anything other than pvp. I like them all in their own way.

I could say try CMBN first, because it has the most content - especially when you consider user made content (I think this is still true). However, if you don't like CMBN all the content in the world won't make a difference. Hence the bolded part above.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:38 AM, dkchapuis said:

I’ve never understood the forum-police mentality of getting frustrated at people for asking questions on a forum.  

And fyi - I Scrolled through the first three pages of this forum. Not one other “what game should I buy thread”. So there is that too…

one other thing. I downloaded and played a demo - but I can’t get Into games against AI. Never could play CMx1 against AI either. Human vs human is the only way I will enjoy this game. 

final thought- another great thing about forums is that some people enjoy being asked questions so they can sharing their opinions. 

to those that were helpful - thanks!!

Plenty of games thefewgoodmen.com, among other places. One gameplay difference is that airplanes in RT can't be manually targeted, they rove around on their own. And obviously the modern games play quite different, with CW in between WW2 and modern.
Overall the core simulation is the same, but different units and terrain will lead to different gamplay imo. I guess after next module CMFB will be quite popular for H2H due to late war stuff.  

On 3/13/2022 at 7:19 PM, Codreanu said:

I've noticed that CMBN seems to have more pathfinding issues than the other games, not sure if it's entirely due to the bocage or some minor differences in code even if it's using the same engine version as the rest of the games.

i agree....is pretty bad aswell. never recalled the issue in previous game versions